General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/142

Height: 5'2"

Exclamation I need to stop smoking-- how about you?

Hi Group. Just a newbie now (today and already around 30 posts...lol) But, I'm thinking of quit smoking (a 30 year habit for me, btw) on top of getting my weight under control...am I crazy? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe there are some new friends here at 3FC that wanna stop along with me. (You can read my introduction to see the stress I'm already under besides weight/smoking issues, rather than reposting it here).

If you are interested in stopping smoking along with me so we can support each others cause, please sign in. I don't have a time frame idea yet- maybe we can all come up with an idea for a plan. I've never stopped with a "buddy" (or dozens of buddies) before.

I know this will be a challenge. I have been smoking for 30 years (1-2 packs a day), and have only ever stopped two times in my life.

Once a few years ago with Chantix, which was a great and no side effect; this is until I started smoking again about 3 months later when my husband's health (cancer) took a really bad turn....and I tried Chantix another time, later, for like 4 days (and had HORRID nightmares which are a common known side effect so I stopped taking it straight away!!!), and last summer, cold turkey- (don't know how I managed, but something happened to my Spirit and I just suddenly STOPPED one day and it was about three days before family asked me if I'd stopped-- I didn't even realize I didn't smoke anymore-- strange- hope it works this time that painlessly!) That was for a couple of months. But, alas, started smoking again.

Any takers out there?

Support needed if I'm gonna get this done. My biggest cheerleader (husband) died, at age 55, almost 8 months ago of a smokers related cancer (kidney cancer) and he never smoked a day in his life. Who am I trying to kid by thinking I won't get cancer???

Hopeful,
MrsKevin in Illinois

MrsKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #2  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sorry to hear about your husband, but I wish you the best of luck in your quit! I smoked for 40 years and was up to 2 packs a day. I started my diet about 6 months ago, on March 11, 2013, the same day I quit smoking. I've since lost 40 lbs. So it is possible to do both. I quit with the help of the nicotine patch. Interestingly, I've found that quitting smoking has helped my diet and vice versa...because it really feels like a lifestyle change and not just a diet. In addition, I've found it much easier to exercise since I quit smoking, since my lung capacity is so much higher...and that too has helped.

Finally, corny though it might sound, I also read a book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", by Alan Carr. It's a worldwide best seller and I highly recommend it. I credit much of my success with my quit to having read this book. Carr was a former very heavy (3 packs a day) smoker who quit cold turkey. What he says makes a lot of sense.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #3  

Have you considered vaping instead of smoking? I had no plans to quit smoking when I decided to try it. I haven't smoked in 9+ months. I now vape, but I know for a fact I could choose not to without a problem. I tried a real ciggy a few months after switching and there's no way now I'd ever go back to it. I'm amazed. I quit smoking without any effort or struggle *at all*. My god, I didn't think that was possible!!! Anyway, I whole heartedly recommend it.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/169/160

Height: 5ft 4.5in

Good luck to you. I wish you success. I am a smoker and hate it. I'm trying to get this weight thing under control first then the plan is to tackle the quit smoking. I've given myself till my 40th birthday which is a year away.
mygirlvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #5  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Hi there! I quit smoking on July 1st for the LAST time - I just got a tattoo to celebrate quitting! I was doing a Whole30 during July, so I wasn't focused on weight loss per se, but I was very, VERY focused on clean eating and I feel like the 100% clean diet really helped me get through that first month.

Like Tuscany, I really liked Alan Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking - I did not quit smoking the first time I read this book like so many others do, but I did refer back to it the first few weeks when I was really struggling.

I also vaped for a bit - zero nicotine vapor, so that I wouldn't just be prolonging my nicotine addiction. I still have the e-cigarettes around just in case I ever "need" them to keep me from buying cigarettes for a social situation, but I haven't vaped or felt the need to vape in over a month.

THIS post about sitting with discomfort on the Zen Habits blog was essential for me - I was reading it 2 or 3 times a day!

I also immersed myself in health/fitness activities and information to keep me focused on healthy habits and distracted from cigarette cravings! I used the money I was saving not smoking to go to yoga classes every single day the first two weeks of my quit and at least once a week after that. I read Running with the Mind of Meditation and Born to Run and watched fitness documentaries like Enlighten Up! and Spirit of the Marathon and Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. I bought subscriptions to Yoga Journal and Runner's World - in short, anything I could do to keep my focus on my new life and away from my old life as a smoker. I even gave up my favourite bar and haven't been back since because it would be a smoking trigger for me.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK, you can do this!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/142

Height: 5'2"

I've forgotten about the ability to use E-cigs before. Never heard it called "vaping" before though. Am I just slow on the uptake? (I am almost 50 )

MrsKevin

MrsKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #7  
kkwilse

S/C/G: 216/215/160

Height: 5'4

Thumbs up Kris

I quite smoking in March of this year. I hope this time it will be for good. I have quite and started so many times, it hard to remember. Now I am going to try and get my weight under control. Good luck.
kkwilse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 275.4/258.6/200

Height: 5'1"

To all you ladies quitting, thank you.

My Mom died from smoking. Small cell lung carcinoma, specific to smoking. She left many loved ones behind. We all felt so sad, we felt like she chose smoking over a lifetime with us. Your loved ones deserve more time with you. Come on, you can do this!
NJChick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/161/130

Height: 5'1"

I was hypnotized to stop smoking. Don't know if you're ever in the Chicagoland area (I see you're in NW Illinois) but I have a Psych that did it for me. Best $100.00 I ever spent. I wouldn't suggest doing it in one of those group sessions - this is one on one. I haven't picked up a cig since.
EllieFunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I am very sorry for your loss and hope that you are doing okay!

Honestly? I ate, I know a terrible answer but an honest one. I gained about 20 pounds but the eating of candy (particularly Blow-Pops) helped a lot. I was hesitant to post this but at this point I think quitting smoking is more important.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote