General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 170/161/130

Height: 5'1"

I no longer buy binge foods to eat when my family isn't around. (Also no more sweatpants in public or eating in the car)
EllieFunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #17  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Eating so that I get fat. Does that count? lol I have forgone all takeouts like McDonald's, Burger King etc (the ones with the greasy food and fake--sauce--flavour to them).

It's tough to answer because what does a fat person do that a skinny person doesn't? Anyway, before I antagonise anyone, I'll stop here (because I dislike stereotypes like there's no tomorrow!)
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #18  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

No more yoga pants. I probably have about 20 pairs of them
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

Height: 5'8"

Going to TWO fast-food restaurants to get things I liked from both of them. There were times when I was with my ex husband that we would go by taco bell and get a dozen tacos and then go by a donut place and get a dozen donuts and go to town. That's ridiculous.
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #20  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Ok, this will sound really weird, but I'm very conscious about how I tie my shoes. I once read someone saying that you could always tell a person was obese when they tied their shoes on the side (as if you couldn't tell otherwise).

The reason being of course that it is a sign the person had trouble bending over to tie the shoes and instead brings the foot over their opposite leg in order to reach. I used to be one of those people, so I very consciously bend over and make sure I tie them in the center.

Crazy how our minds work.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #21  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I definitely avoid eating in the car, which used to be a major crime scene for secret binging. I will eat in the car with another person if we are on a road trip or something, but never alone.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #22  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

No more eating in the car is a rule I need to make. I've had too many secret junk food binges while out running errands.

Last edited by shishkeberry; 08-30-2013 at 01:45 PM.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #23  
diamondgeog

Definitely staying away from fast food. It wasn't my only problem, but was a big one. I used to go to Whataburger and get their A1 burger meal. It was just around a dollar more than a cheeseburger meal. But you got 2 patties, 2 cheese, and bacon, and the sauce. Goodness knows how many carbs that was with fries?

And then because I am carb sensitive I would feel hungry way too soon and also too tired to exercise. Cutting out fast food won't make you exercise but it is a heck of a lot easier to do if you want to.

I personally also include Subway as unhealthy fast food. Their bread uses a chemical banned in Europe and that gets you 15 years in jail in Singapore. Bread has a ton of carbs. Some not all their meats have nitrates and all or virtually all have MSG. I suppose their veggies are ok but surrounded by bad stuff.

I still go to a place called Freebirds which is awesome and healthy and had a five guys burger in lettuce wrap which was delicious. But no more Whataburger or Subway.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

OMG, these are amazing tips! I do almost all of these things. Some of these things I've done today hahaha. *is wearing a pair of pants with an elastic belt and also ate in the office instead of the dining room... often doesn't wait to go home to eat* I am going to write these down and tape them to my computer to remind me not to do them!

Diamondgeog, do you know anything more about the chemical in subway's bread?? I never heard of this. Also, hello from a fellow geog grad student!!!

Last edited by archaic1; 08-30-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: I didn't read the last post!
archaic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/220

Height: 5'10"

God this is embarrassing but I've vowed to never again order so much food at a drive thru that I feel the need to order 2 different drinks so people will think the food is for 2 people vs 1 (me).
JeniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #26  
diamondgeog

SUBWAY uses azodicarbonamide which is banned in Europe+gets you 15 years in jail in Singapore. It is in the bread as a preservative. Europe operates differently, something has to be proven safe. In the US it has to be proven harmful before removed but can be used for decades before that.

It has been linked to asthma. The American Heart Association even calls some of the subs healthy, but not for me with that bread and the stuff that goes into their meats.

Enjoy geography grad school, it is a fun time.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Thanks for the information! That is really disturbing. I know that the EU has a similar no tolerance for GM foods and there are some that have pesticides built into them o_x no way of telling what you are getting when you eat out!!!

Thank you also for your good wishes for graduate school! My biggest problem is that my department LOVES going out for beer so I need to make sure I build room for beer in my diet rofl.
archaic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #28  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I vow never to wear an open button-up shirt over a tank or T-shirt -- kind of as a jacket. To hide the fact that the T-shirt is too tight and I don't want my rolls to show. I always hated that look, but fell back on it in desperate need to try to look presentable.

Also, I won't buy black knit pants, except to wear to the gym. I've had FAR too many pairs of those!

Good thread... This is really something to consider as we lose weight. I'm finding it inspirational!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I will only buy one bar of chocolate at a time. This has totally put me off buying chocolate as I never really want one bar, unless I'm going to properly binge, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

This is only ME, not necessarily 'fat' behavior, but I vowed to stop complaining about being fat and instead, actively doing something about it. I used to complain and would sometimes cry in fitting rooms for looking the way I did and not fitting into the clothes I wanted to fit into, but not anymore. I haven't lost much, but I can say that my attitude towards health/fitness has changed 180 degrees. I am much more optimistic now and happier in general... I think it has to do with working out. Nothing beats a good work out, going home to shower, and having a good night sleep after a long day.

But yeah, that, and no more unhealthy food choices aka fast food. I also don't overeat or eat when I'm not hungry.
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote