3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Pedometer recommendations anyone? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/286824-pedometer-recommendations-anyone.html)

GlamourGirl827 08-27-2013 10:16 PM

Pedometer recommendations anyone?

I have been walking outside when hubby is home, but on the days he works (he's gone over 13 hours) and I'm home, I'd like to start wearing a pedometer to count my steps inside, and on carpet. I also could use something with a flip top so I don't accidentally hit it and erase anything.

I've been doing a lot of googling, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I hear some don't count steps right with softer steps (carpet) and that some will count a step if bumped or like when getting up from a chair.

EllieFunt 08-28-2013 09:53 AM

I LOVE my Fitbit. It syncs with their online program whenever I get close to the computer. I love the bells & whistles their site has but the device itself is pretty simple.

Buffinlovin 08-28-2013 02:31 PM

I'm going to second the fitbit :) I have the Fitbit One (I had contemplated getting the Flex, but I like being able to tuck it away discreetly instead of always have it on my wrist), and I adore it! I don't go anywhere without it! Quite literally, the first thing I do is take the fitbit out of the sleep band (it can track how well you sleep too!!) and clip it to my shirt or pants. When I get out of the shower and get dressed, its the first thing I put on, etc. At $100 ish it's a bit on the pricier side of pedometers, but I find it to be incredibly accurate (I tried shaking the device to see if it would give me extra steps, and it didn't. Same with bumpy car rides and fidgeting while sitting.)

It can sync through multiple devices, including tablets, phones and computers. It also syncs with Myfitnesspal and other diet apps so it can give you exercise calories. As you wear it, it learns how much activity you do, so it can give you a really good estimate on how many calories you burn throughout the day. The only thing I get slightly annoyed with is that with the exercise calories, if you exercise early and are sedentary the rest of the day, it actually adjusts those exercise calories lower later on to make up for the lack of exercise later in the day.

It holds a charge for about a week, and I get a notification on my ipod and email to let me know when the batter is low, plus indicated on the device itself (it still has about a days worth of charge when I get that email). I connect it to the little usb charger and it can charge to full in about an hour.

The fact that it's so small is both a good and bad thing lol! I like it because it can be discreet. I can tuck it in a pocket, or even on my bra strap and no one would be the wiser. But I also get paranoid about it, and check if it's there frequently. I'm always afraid I'm going to drop it somewhere and lose it (a common complaint from other fitbit users). That's where the Flex, I think, does a bit better because you never have to take off the Flex, even to shower or swim (completely waterproof).

Sorry for the rambling lol!! I really do love my fitbit :p There are a few other devices out there that are similar, I think there is the Jawbone UP and one by Nike (can't remember the name). This article was a pretty good read to compare some of the different models, and there are a lot of similar articles out there that compare a bunch of them.

Hope this helps!!

GlamourGirl827 08-30-2013 05:24 PM

ugh, i ended up grabbing the first pedometer that i saw and left..i explained it in another thread ...and whatever i grabbed sucks, i did not take a moment to look..