Off-topic: what did you spend money on today? Diet and budget

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Hey, as I do a kitchen purge and make a grocery list from a meal plan, I realize I don't manage money any better than I manage calories! I think that must be related behaviour (impulsive, not planning, not deciding just defaulting)

So what did you spend money on today? I'm going to track my spending the same way I track calories- in the same day diary in fact!

Today:

$6.35 lunch

Most days there is bus fare, bills and perhaps shopping. There should be groceries tonight

Your turn!
  • $25 on half a tank of gas

$67ish on groceries

almost everything purchased was planned or needed and remembered as I walked by, the only thing that was impulsive was a can of coconut water as I have been curious what it tasted like for AGES... it disappointed me. I know plenty of people who LOVE the stuff but it was so disgusting to me, i only managed a few sips before tossing it :s a $2 lesson lol
  • These are approximates:

$8 on DS1s lo mein for lunch
    $12 on DS2s steak platter for lunch, plus 3 drinks
    $10 on DS2s passport photo
    $0.25 on lemonade from a roadside kid with a stand (didn't drink it LOL)
    $7 on Talbots tan capris at consignment store
    $55 on groceries
    $50 on gas
  • $4 coffee this morning
    $6 on a fast food lunch for little son as we were doing work stuff together
    $16 at the store, misc things

and I was supposed to buy bear spray today to carry while jogging but I was too tired to make a trip to another store
  • $1.05 for a Diet Coke
    $16.00 for lunch (rainbow trout...OM NOM NOM)
  • For us today was what we call in the personal finance blogging community a "no spend day."

I don't know if you all prefer manual tracking (I do for my nutrition stuff), but if not I always recommend Mint.com for tracking spending and even budgeting. It syncs with your accounts so the only thing you have to enter manually is cash transactions. It's helped communication about money in my marriage a lot (not to mention being super easy)!
  • Oh, coconut water seems dreadful every time I try it but so far that's been free sips for me!

Sorry for your $2

Alaskanlaughter- DON"T GET EATEN BY A BEAR!!!!
  • 44 bucks for a full tank of gas.

29 dollars for a bag of dry cat food and 4 cans of wet.
  • $3.99 for a coral-colored sheath dress from Goodwill
  • 5.35 for a 6" Subway turkey sub
    14.00 for drinks and snack with the girls after work
    8.00 for milk and M&Ms (peanut butter oh so yummy but oh so bad for me

I had no idea I spent so much today! Funny how the little amounts add up so quickly!

I agree - coconut water is AWFUL!
  • $10 in gas
    $29 for groceries
    $15 for a LOCKER CHANDELIER, which is apparently a real thing, and something a new middle schooler must have, or it's the end of the world. Everyone, you are welcome, because I apparently prevented the ending of the world by making this purchase.
  • Quote: $4 coffee this morning
    $6 on a fast food lunch for little son as we were doing work stuff together
    $16 at the store, misc things

and I was supposed to buy bear spray today to carry while jogging but I was too tired to make a trip to another store
    They make bear spray? I'm pleasantly surprised a spray can protect us from bears. Does it spray fire?
  • My spending today: $0
  • I think this is a great idea - to track spending like tracking calories or points!

$29.92 on dry cleaning

$59 on drug store items

$9.60 on bagels and coffee
  • 32 and some change at target buying 3 boxes of the protein bars I eat for breakfast and 2 cases of water