General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Default Anyone ever learned to swim as an adult?

I'm 20 almost 21 and I don't know how to swim. My friend is offering to teach me but I'm so afraid, lol. Reminds me of the lady who made a thread a few days back saying she was afraid to learn how to drive, haha.

I wanna learn by August, but I don't know if it's possible. One, because I'm going on a cruise in August (just preparing for the worst, not saying anything will happen but you never know...) and two, I heard swimming is a great workout!

How long on average does it take an adult to learn how to swim? Literally I don't know how to doggy paddle or anything. Any advice?
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

I've been really thinking about this myself! Well, slightly different though. I can keep myself from drowning, but I'd loooooove to be able to swim freestyle. Watching folks just do laps on end at the pool is fascinating to me, and yes, a great workout!!

I know the YMCAs around here have some adult swimming classes. Be brave and see what your friend can teach you then maybe check out the YMCA?

I've just gotta find the time to take on this swimming project....argh...

Good luck!
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I took a beginning swimming class in college... about half the students started out not knowing how to swim at all and were swimming by the end of the first lesson. I dropped the class when we had to start doing lengths underwater. Being completely underwater like that gave me panic attacks.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Me! Me! Now granted, I grew up around pools and could tread water/doggie paddle/get around just fine. But I had no real technique for being efficient in the water or any stroking skill. I took an adult swim class at a local fitness club and learned a great deal. Then I got an excellent book and refined my technique further, to make it more ease and less struggle. I'd recommend learning anything beyond floating from a coach - I think they will catch any bad habits quickly and the lessons are inexpensive. It's not hard but it does take some getting used to.

In the meantime, do browse this forum and the books/DVDs. I can't recommend them enough, they're excellent: http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

As for how long it took to learn? I went from complete beginner aside from floating to swimming breast stroke for multiple pool lengths (not without a lot of effort, mind you!) in eight lessons/four weeks. And the Total Immersion materials I linked can be self paced from complete beginner and get you competent in a relaxed freestyle stroke with a weekend of practice, if you're working at it diligently. Swimming isn't difficult to learn, but it takes practice and persistence to excel at. Just learning basics should be very doable before your cruise, and if you put your mind to several days a week of practice at a local pool, you could very well be one of the better swimmers on that cruise by the end.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #6  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hii!

I am fortunate because I was introduced to swimming at a very young age. That being said, I have found it has been important for me to practice some strokes sometimes so I don't get 'rusty.' One thing I have learned which is very important, if there is ever a situation where you feel scared or nervous in the water, try very hard to stay calm and not to panic. Panicking only makes things much worse, affects breathing negatively, etc. Think of your limitations as to how comfortable you feel in certain aspects of the water. If you don't feel ok swimming underwater or in the deep end, my personal advice is wait until you have met with a professional swim instructor who help guide you through those steps.

Currently, I am taking adult swim lessons to improve my strokes. I find it challenging and difficult to do well at some of this, and I have been swimming a long time. Things like mastering the breathing of swimming can take awhile. You can do it! Don't panic if nervous and don't give up!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Our local YMCA offers swimming classes geared specifically towards adults that have a fear of swimming. My husband is too scared to even do that. But it's an important skill and I would definitely suggest looking into it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

I say go for it! Swimming is fun and you never know when it might be useful You'll definitely have more options for things to do on your cruise and less anxiety.

I wouldn't think it would take more than a few lessons to get the basic idea and start the muscle memory. Becoming a faster/more technical swimmer takes longer, but there's no need to be that serious about it unless you want to.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #9  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I took adult lessons (after failing the school provided ones like four times). I'm still not a competitive swimmer by any stretch of the imagination, but I swim well enough that it's my main workout.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I have taught several people to learn to swim and if you are willing to push your limits (trust that you won't drown if you have your coach- or anyone who can swim- watching you) you can swim across the pool in about 2 hours. Usually it's two 1-hour lessons. Many are crossing the pool at the end of the first hour.

If you are not going to let yourself "coast" in the water where you can't stand (this is where people seem to get hung up) then it will take several more lessons. This step involves first pushing off the wall and kicking with your hands together in front of you (I call it "rocketship" for kids) first where you can stand, and then where you can't.

(Also, if you want to get a head start, practice blowing bubbles with your face in the water before your first lesson. In the bathtub, sink, shallow pool, wherever you can find.) This step sometimes takes awhile for people not comfortable in the water.)

Last edited by Underwater; 06-11-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

Height: 5'8"

I see you have gotten great advice already so I will just say that when I was young, my brother threw me in the creek.. it was either swim or drown. LOL
It's very possible to learn quickly. It's not only fun but it can give you a great workout. Enjoy your cruise.
Only Believe is offline   Reply With Quote