3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Did you pick where you live? How and why! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/282473-did-you-pick-where-you-live-how-why.html)

sacha 05-29-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington90 (Post 4755377)
Come a bit to your western friend Ontario, and I promise it's much better. I have a family member in Quebec who hates it too. :)

Hehe I would I would! But my husband's job won't transfer him there :(

nelie 05-29-2013 07:04 AM

One other thing I thought about is there are things that you may not realize you need/like until you move by either moving away from those things or encountering those things.

For instance, I didn't realize how important diversity (culturally, ethnically, and other ways too) was to me until I moved from Southern California to Denver. There isn't a lot of diversity there, some but not a lot. Then when I moved to the DC area and had neighbors from all over the world, it felt like a breathe of fresh air :) I mean there are so many people from all over the US with different experiences, backgrounds, etc that it is nice as well. There are very few places in the US that rival the diversity we have here (New York, Los Angeles, neither of which are places I'd want to live) so I'm also limited by that.

Also, I love public transportation even though I've never depended on it but I love the idea of living in a city where you have good public transportation. I've mentioned the idea of retiring to a city to my husband and he thinks I'm crazy but he also lived in Philly for a few years so maybe he just isn't keen on city life. He likes living on the outskirts of cities and generally I do too, but I think it'd be fun to try.

Changergirl 05-29-2013 07:14 AM

I grew up in the Toronto area, though I spent a 5 year period in Calgary. I currently live in a tiny tiny town in Korea that I will say I didn't pick. I met my fiancé in Korea, living in a different, a much larger city, that I actually did pick. When we started looking for jobs together again in Korea (much easier for us to find jobs here than at home as I'm Canadian and he's American) we accepted the first jobs that guaranteed we'd be in the same place. Turns out we ended up in pretty much the middle of nowhere. Oh well, in another year we'll be leaving and we will end up in Canada, though me immigrating to the US is so much easier than the other way around. Most likely we'll end up back in the Toronto area as that's where most of my social network is and there's lots of jobs.

shcirerf 05-29-2013 08:27 AM

I still live in the area of western Nebraska, where I grew up. I like it here on my little farm and small community and family, (family most of the time;)).

The Denver metro area and DIA are only about 2 hours, 15 mins away. When I head that way for a rare shopping day out, usually stick to Cheyenne or head down to Ft. Collins. Easy to navigate, and lots of great options.

Arctic Mama, if you relocate to WY, you would be very close to me. I have a sister in Torrinton, WY. Works at the local community college.

Doomkitty 05-29-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryPie99 (Post 4755213)
Watertown - 30 miles south of Canada. Where are you?

I'm in the Rochester area. I don't feel it's a particularly special city and the town I'm in is okay. I feel like it's a college town but then again, I live in an apartment complex that is most definitely a college student hot spot. /sigh

Andrea85 05-29-2013 11:15 AM

Now that I think about it....I kinda did, only once.

I grew up in San Diego, lived in Santa Cruz for college, then moved to Houston for an ex boyfriend. When that relationship bombed, I decided to stay out here (which was my only time I actually made a decision...although my only other option would have been moving back to San Diego). Now that I'm with my current guy, I personally would like to try a different place, but he is pretty much tied to here.

If you guys will be self employed, it doesn't sound like moving to a place with a lot of employment options will be high on your list. But make sure you can afford cost of living! Do you have any friends that live in these places? That would be a good first step.

Honestly, I could never choose a place to live without visiting first. I think you should do some research based on the things you guys like to do and how realistically you can live there. Narrow it down to 3 and go spend a few long weekends in each place.

punkrocksong 05-29-2013 08:43 PM

I've been stuck in Iowa my entire life, but my husband and I are trying to save to move to the Pacific Northwest. The plan was to move when I graduated from college, but my husband was offered an amazing job, so our plans have been put on hold for the time being. But I know there are only so many more horrible midwestern winters and summers this girl can handle.

Terra1984 07-14-2013 08:22 PM

I live in Kansas, I moved to Kansas when I was 6 months old from Corpus Christi Texas where I was born and I've been in Kansas ever since, The only other state I've been to was S.C when my older brother and his family lived there, Other then that I guess you can say Im a Kansas kind of girl lol

TooWicky 07-14-2013 08:46 PM

Besides employment, my next two priorities would be affordability and then near-ish family if practical. I've been stupefied by how expensive some cities are (I spent 2 years in the San Francisco bay area,) where home ownership is out of reach for ordinary incomes. If expense is not so major a concern :) well then culture, vistas, and things to do would be high on my list! My personal tastes would be the low country, or the Gulf Coast.

We ended up in a smaller town in the midwest (neither of us are from here,) and I have to say it's kind of a drag being land-locked and it's a bit boring and homogenous. Upside, it's very safe, and we ended up in a great neighborhood on a fantastic street literally full of neighbors we count among our friends. We have cookouts and block parties and annual get-togethers. It's like a time warp from another era lol. It's providing our children with a happy childhood very similar to our own, which is very rare these days with everyone moving often and people not always getting to know their neighbors. Money is also not so stressful because housing is somewhat cheaper, relatively speaking.

GlamourGirl827 07-14-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daki (Post 4755411)
Wow, I love all of these responses! And I agree with this one except I hated New Jersey while living there and after being in Florida and Pennsylvania, New Jersey didn't look so bad anymore hehe.

:lol::lol:

I laugh because growing up I thought I hated NJ as well (that's where I grew up) but I'd never been anywhere else really. When I got older I had the chance to visit several other areas in the country including the west coast and a cross country drive to see the area inbetween.

Now I will say that the west coast has far better weather in my opinion. The humidity here in th summer is gross. And I will also say that the landscape driving home through Nevada, Utah and Wyoming was just breath taking.

Having said that, I did not like how empty all the other states felt. Even in Cali, there were areas we'd drive forEVER and see nothing...and driving through the mid west WOW so much empty space. Now for some people that's a beautiful thing, so you really have to know what you want, but for me I can't stand being out in the middle of no where. The 30 minutes or so drive through the pine barrens heading west through NJ is enough wilderness for me! I breath a sigh of relief when I see life again! lol

I really have grown to appreciate NJ. I love that we have open farm land, the pine barrens, beautiful shore areas, "old" small towns with the victorian style houses, but then there are plenty of suburbs and chain stores not too far when you need them, plus so close to NYC and Philly. I would say the beach is my favorite, sonce I spent mostof my life block from the ocean, I could NEVER live anywhere that's not more than 30 minutes tops from the ocean. I also love the summer and sun,,,,but would prefer it less humid.

I don't live near all the cities of north jersey and wouldnt want to, so maybe my experience is a little bias. Jersey has a lot crammed into a small space, so depending on where you lived would really effect what you think.

Hubby wants to move to the west coast someday, idk, we'll see...I think its going to be pretty hard to get me out of this state any time soon...except for the cost...maybe we'll leave someday so we can buy a house 2x the size for 1/2 the cost, this state will bleed you dry in the wallet though!! :dizzy:

Aclai4067 07-14-2013 08:58 PM

I grew up in metro Atlanta and about a year after college decided to move. I was deciding between Phoenix, AZ and Nashville, TN.

I was considering AZ because, geographically, I love it. I think the desert is beautiful. The dry heat is amazing. I loved the idea of exploring all of the great parks out west without having to fly cross country each time. Also, I do have a little family there, so I would know someone.

I was considering Nashville because my sister had already moved there (she chose to move with college friends who were going on to grad school at Vandy). I always had a great time visiting with my sister and her friends, and loved that Nashville had a younger vibe than Atlanta.

In the end, I picked Nashville for the social network and proximity to my immediate family. I don't know if I'll live here forever, but I'm not leaving anytime soon. If I do move, maybe one of the Carolina's or Florida will be next? My least favorite part of Nashville is it is SO far from the beach. I don't necessarily want to live in a beach town (though not opposed to it), but I'd love for it to be a 3 hour drive or less!

LucreziaBorgia 07-14-2013 11:16 PM

I was born in where I live, didn't feel like changing it because I have too much to leave here at the moment.

suetalks 07-15-2013 11:35 PM

I have the best of both worlds. Summer where I grew up and raised my family, in the mid-west. Winter in Nevada.....Yes, Viva Las Vegas.
That being said, I would live in San Diego or San Francisco in a heartbeat. I just
can't fathom buying a home in either place.

alaskanlaughter 07-16-2013 12:47 AM

I haven't left Alaska since I was four years old :D:D:D

BettyBooty 07-16-2013 08:51 AM

I suppose we "chose" the DC area because of the availability of jobs (my husband was working up here after moving from VA and I joined him when I finished law school), but I would love to return to Hawaii someday, even if it is only for retirement. I loved the 5 years I lived there as a kid.