General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Default Job Help!

I know I haven't been on in forever and I'm so sorry! I miss checking in with you! Between moving and my health issues I haven't done much of anything!

Anyway, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm looking to get a job after not working for 12 years. The only thing I have to put on my resume is volunteer work at my husband's unit for this past year. Its the only thing I have that is recent.

Anyway, I'm hoping y'all can give me some pointers on breaking into the work force after so long, like interview tips, resume advice since I haven't done one in a few years, whatever you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to start working as soon as possible. Thanks for reading and any help you can offer!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I HIGHLY recommend the book "what color is your parachute" they update it every year and the advice from that book helped me a lot. The library should have it.

You will probably have to figure out what you want to do, then get your foot in the door at a company offering the kind of work you want to do. With a 12 year resume gap it may be difficult to get the job you want immediately. Good Luck!!
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Before volunteering with your husband's unit, did you do anything else that was organized? If you had kids, did you help with their classroom or anything? If you were in school, did you do any practicum work or research?

What field are you looking to get into? You may want to look for an entry level or internship position in your field as many employers would consider you starting from scratch.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote