General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #46  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

One of the things about getting older that makes me sad is that adults can be really petty. I remember being young and looking up to adults and thinking that they were so wise and mature but there are many who are just as petty and silly as they were in high school. They're just older...not necessarily wiser. Of course this is a general statement and doesn't apply to everyone but I find myself disappointed by coworkers who act so childish for NO good reason. This man is a good example of that. Sure he's successful and rich but he's still pretty pathetic. JMHO.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #47  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Interesting. The size thing didn't bother me so much as so many clothing chains/designers are that way.

What kind of bothered me was the "all-American" note. What's he mean? If you're Asian or Indian don't come into his store?

Either way, I'm not spending $38 on a t-shirt with holes in it.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I know this because I was made fun of as a child...not for being fat, but for being poor and not having the "cool" clothes.
Not in relation to John's comment, but just this alone really brought me back. I was made fun of for being fat and poor. What a beating I took my entire childhood. There were "fat" girls that had money that at least dressed nice and looked nice...and there were poor girls that were thin...but I was endless made fun of for both...I don't think God himself could have saved my self esteem. It took nearly a decade for me to now not give a rats @ss what people think, but sometimes those insecurities still surface.

A&F didn't exist when I was in highschool, at least not where I live, and now I just think of it as that loud waste of space at the mall. And I don't like that style anyway, so no matter how thin or rich I may be, I wouldn't want to dress that way anyway, so no loss for me.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 05-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieBoom View Post
One of the things about getting older that makes me sad is that adults can be really petty. I remember being young and looking up to adults and thinking that they were so wise and mature but there are many who are just as petty and silly as they were in high school. They're just older...not necessarily wiser. Of course this is a general statement and doesn't apply to everyone but I find myself disappointed by coworkers who act so childish for NO good reason. This man is a good example of that. Sure he's successful and rich but he's still pretty pathetic. JMHO.
Chickie, me too. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to be an adult because I thought all the idiot kids/teens would out grow their immaturity...boy was I wrong! THe idiots from school are just idiots in adult bodies! Man was I disappointed when I realized that I was destine to spend the rest of my life on a planet where some of the adults were still childish ding-a-lings!! lol
Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #50  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Good Heavens!!! I am still fuming about this article! This offends me on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin! The biggest one, is that I don't really have a problem with the business logic. I am okay with him being selective about having a niche market! I am just pissed he used such a douche-bag approach! Even worse, is.. that as a life-long member of the big girls club, I would never walk in there at any rate. BUT. I guess I just have to say...SKINNY IS NOT BEAUTIFUL!!!! HEALTHY IS !!!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #51  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

This is a good read.

http://writehuman.com/dearmike/
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

He sounds like an idiot- his mentality is of a shallow teen, but he is a grown man.

Last edited by straightahead; 05-09-2013 at 11:51 PM.
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightahead View Post
He sounds like an idiot- his mentality is of a shallow teen, but he is a grown man.
You do realize there are teenagers on this forum don't you?
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 View Post
The adjective "shallow" indicates that I am talking about a specific type of teenager. Not all teens. I am envisioning a stereotype, like Taylor Vaughn from "She's All That" (for lack of a better example..I know that movie is old!"). The point is he sounds ridiculous and juvenile.
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgirl69 View Post
I think she does. While "shallow" is the main descriptive here, teen is referring to the immaturity. Because most teens lack adult insght and maturity. And I think your question kind of shows that. Straighthead was gracious in her respnse. I would not have been as so. Calling someone a teen is not insulting, but it is a developmental stage that is not exactly defined by a mature thought process. We know, we've been there. Don't get so offended, you'll look back in 10 years and say the same thing. Its not a personal attack on you as a teen.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 05-10-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post

What kind of bothered me was the "all-American" note. What's he mean? If you're Asian or Indian don't come into his store?
He may have the balls to say no fat people, but he hasn't gone there... when you look at their ads though, I think you have the answer to that one. They just don't dare say it.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #57  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Read the article .... Was not offended ...he can market his products to his target audience. Branding and going for a certain look ...associated with image.
His clothes are not targeted for me ...and I am not in the least bit offended or angry! I could fit in to the clothing ....but it's not for me ...and that's OKAY!!!
Hey I never shopped at Lane Byrant .... they have a Niche market too!
For years certain products were marketed at a specific group....watch old time commercials.
Just because something comes in your size does not mean you should wear it!
All clothes are not flattering on everyone ...I am short soo...I am we'll aware the fact!
This is America he is free to market his wares however he sees fit!...as a consumer I am free to use my buying power as I see fit.

My daughter just attended Prom.....and was Dressed timelessly.
Saw some of the photos of other girls choices....the dress wore them instead of them wearing the dress...very sad that their mom's did not guide them to choices that would have brought out their best attributes and given them a more pulled together look.
The dress my daughter wore was designed for someone of her body type ...and
complimented her built.
My daughter fits AF target demographics....we just don't shop there..I do not like the sexual marketing....but ...that is their right!
If my childs self esteem is threatened by what a business is marketing ....I may want to rethink as a parent what values I am instilling....and maybe address those issues.
In life there will always be groups that we do not fit into....So what ...this is life...get use to it or you will be disappointed the majority of your life.
Being cool or uncool...those are labels ...I am more concerned about the inside but I do want my child to be well groomed ...but that does not require them to be a walking Billboard for a Business wearing their Signage!
I think it is very beneficial for children to go thru gawky stage...builds character and helps them formulate what they truly value. Don't want High School be the highlight of their life.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Uhm, this is nothing new under the sun. Most stores do not want me to even walk into them. Big-girl stores market to the big girl niche don't they? You don't see skinny people boycotting Lane Bryant because it's not inclusive to them do you? In fact I think most stores cater to someone. This CEO is probably making a publicity stunt because who on earth enjoys being a douchebag if they weren't getting something out of it right?

I remember a while back I used to shop at The Limited a lot. I loved their pants, they always looked and felt good on me. This went on for years and then suddenly I couldn't find size 14 for a long time. I always thought it was a fluke because size 14 always sells out at most stores so I kept going back. One day I asked the sales lady when they'd be getting more size 14 pants and she said "we don't sell size 14 anymore." Maybe the CEO didn't come out and declare that fat people weren't welcome anymore but he/she didn't have to, those actions speak clearly enough. Haven't walked into that store since, not because I don't want to but because I'm not welcome.

The fashion industry runs on fuel from making everyone feel insecure, that's their whole purpose. They want you to not be able to afford it, or be accessible, or to even fit you. Remember Karl Lagerfeld and what he had to say about Adele? Ever watch Project Runway on the dreaded "real women" challenge? Those designers crap their pants when they have to design for a woman over size 2. And if I recall correctly, the designer that made clothes for the skinniest real woman always wins the challenge while the designer that got paired with the heaviest woman ultimately goes home.

Wake up everyone, nobody likes fat people. Welcome to the real world. I don't want to shop at Lane Bryant either, I don't like putting on a size 18! I don't like wearing clothes that are circus tents but I'm not stupid enough to think that A&F would even remotely look good on me!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I've had my share of low self esteem. I do remember once when I was 12yrs old, about a size 10 I walked into a boutique in a major european city. I was going into this store because I wanted to buy a present for my cousin, a nice shirt or something. As soon as I walked in the lady working there looked at me and said "we don't have anything in your size" and dismissed me. Wow, now that's cruel and I'll never forget that.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #60  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Uhm, this is nothing new under the sun. Most stores do not want me to even walk into them. Big-girl stores market to the big girl niche don't they? You don't see skinny people boycotting Lane Bryant because it's not inclusive to them do you? In fact I think most stores cater to someone. This CEO is probably making a publicity stunt because who on earth enjoys being a douchebag if they weren't getting something out of it right?

I remember a while back I used to shop at The Limited a lot. I loved their pants, they always looked and felt good on me. This went on for years and then suddenly I couldn't find size 14 for a long time. I always thought it was a fluke because size 14 always sells out at most stores so I kept going back. One day I asked the sales lady when they'd be getting more size 14 pants and she said "we don't sell size 14 anymore." Maybe the CEO didn't come out and declare that fat people weren't welcome anymore but he/she didn't have to, those actions speak clearly enough. Haven't walked into that store since, not because I don't want to but because I'm not welcome.

The fashion industry runs on fuel from making everyone feel insecure, that's their whole purpose. They want you to not be able to afford it, or be accessible, or to even fit you. Remember Karl Lagerfeld and what he had to say about Adele? Ever watch Project Runway on the dreaded "real women" challenge? Those designers crap their pants when they have to design for a woman over size 2. And if I recall correctly, the designer that made clothes for the skinniest real woman always wins the challenge while the designer that got paired with the heaviest woman ultimately goes home.

Wake up everyone, nobody likes fat people. Welcome to the real world. I don't want to shop at Lane Bryant either, I don't like putting on a size 18! I don't like wearing clothes that are circus tents but I'm not stupid enough to think that A&F would even remotely look good on me!
Yup, pretty much this ^^^

Is this not any different than the publicity stunt of Tommy Hilfiger not wanting black people to wear his clothes? I remember when that happened, my mom threw out her TH tshirt that she picked up from value village and said that she would never own anything with that man's name on it.

I wouldn't buy things from these people even if their stuff fit me... The fashion industry is seriously f'd up and it makes wish I had the sewing skills (and patience!) to make my own clothes!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote