General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Default I messed with my hormones/period coloring/scaring me (LOTS of TMI-Ladies only please)

Okay i am really scared. My period was really late (I am a virgin so it's not that) and so I took some of my old birth control that had yet to expire on the last week for 4 days. Didn't work so I stopped. But it did trigger cramps. Anyways today I FINALLY got my period after 2 weeks of symptoms! And..... the blood is almost black. BLACK! It's scaring me. I've never had one like this before and it's scaring me (I'm only 17-not that experienced). Am I okay? What do I do? Help?

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 04-30-2013 at 11:51 AM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/155/105

Height: 5'1"

I have black blood sometimes on my period too. It's because it's old tissue that didn't come out right away. My periods are really irregular so it's nothing to worry about. But if you have BC really try to take it when you're supposed to, it'll help prevent this.

Edit:: you might want to talk to your gyno about switching BC methods if you feel its not working to discuss your options.

Last edited by leighalittletyke; 04-30-2013 at 12:04 PM.
leighalittletyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #3  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A DOCTOR

Darker blood generally means that the blood is just older. This just means the iron in the blood has been oxidized to iron oxides, which is brown. Usually women see darker blood towards the end of their period, but it's very common to have brown/black blood at the beginning of a period as well.

You should never just take birth control pills whenever. If you're going to take them, take them correctly from the beginning. Future word of advice.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighalittletyke View Post
I have black blood sometimes on my period too. It's because it's old tissue that didn't come out right away. My periods are really irregular so it's nothing to worry about. But if you have BC really try to take it when you're supposed to, it'll help prevent this.
I'm not on it anymore I was a year ago. I was trying to trigger my period because it had been so long with symptoms yet no period was happening and that worried me so I found those and decided to take the last week. I realied later it was bad of me so I threw them out-they're gone now. This has been such a weird menstrual cycle.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of Surly View Post

Darker blood generally means that the blood is just older. This just means the iron in the blood has been oxidized to iron oxides, which is brown. Usually women see darker blood towards the end of their period, but it's very common to have brown/black blood at the beginning of a period as well.

You should never just take birth control pills whenever. If you're going to take them, take them correctly from the beginning. Future word of advice.
Thank you! And yes I know they were just left over. I threw them out don't worry. I was trying to trigger a late period.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 04-30-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/155/105

Height: 5'1"

It's crazy the things our bodies make us do so try to learn to listen to it a little better. A lot of times our periods will come late due to stress or the events going on in our lives. It's the exact same thing with gaining weight. I find that taking a minute away from everything and just telling myself a few things that keep me focused really help with handling the stresses I encounter in everyday life. That and music.
leighalittletyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighalittletyke View Post
It's crazy the things our bodies make us do so try to learn to listen to it a little better. A lot of times our periods will come late due to stress or the events going on in our lives. It's the exact same thing with gaining weight. I find that taking a minute away from everything and just telling myself a few things that keep me focused really help with handling the stresses I encounter in everyday life. That and music.
So true! I cause I need to pay more attention to things. I have been stressed out. Especially this month when we were buying a scale I was so stress and upset to find out I hadn't lost as much weight as I thought. And then I got obsessive and just plain stressed. Well the good news is my therapist is helping me with all that.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #8  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

At 17, your body is still growing & developing so it's perfectly normal for your period to be really late or really early. Mine never really became regular until I was in my 20s, but even now it tends to shift from being mid-month to late month. As others have said, stress & drastic weight changes can mess with your hormones.

Also, if you live with other women their hormones can affect yours. I swear my mother's crazy pre-menopause hormones have been making my period off-schedule. It's very true that women who live together can experience their cycles syncing up.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Moving Forward View Post
At 17, your body is still growing & developing so it's perfectly normal for your period to be really late or really early. Mine never really became regular until I was in my 20s, but even now it tends to shift from being mid-month to late month. As others have said, stress & drastic weight changes can mess with your hormones.

Also, if you live with other women their hormones can affect yours. I swear my mother's crazy pre-menopause hormones have been making my period off-schedule. It's very true that women who live together can experience their cycles syncing up.
Yea your right. My friend Erin missed her period completely once. Her mom grounded her claimed she was pregnant even thought he said she was a virgin. She turned out not to be pregnant (Her mom forced her to see a doctor) just missed her period.

And seriously? That's actually really interesting lol Thanks of the interesting info!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #10  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of Surly View Post

Yes this exactly ^^^^ I sometimes see black or brown also but my periods are regular thanks to BC so it's not too often for me.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Just want to repeat everything everyone else has said. In my experience, taking BC pills doesn't trigger a period, but delays it. Usually when you take them, you stop taking them for a week to trigger a bleed!

Please be reassured about an irregular cycle being very common. When I was a similar age to you, I had a period that went on for over three months before the doctor gave my some tablets to stop it and then I didn't get another one for almost half a year! So please don't worry, I totally know how you feel!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/249/125

Height: 5'3 ish

I just wanted to chime in here, with the other post you've posted regarding starving yourself. This can affect your hormones. If you go without eating or eating very little it can cause missed, late or even worsened periods then add synthetic hormone into it and that could possibly explain what is happening.
Thinforme is offline   Reply With Quote