General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

Default Are You Going to San Francisco?

So, crazy weekend here. Got sick on Thursday, didn't count calories or exercise Thursday or Friday, Saturday I had a surprise birthday party for my boyfriend, Sunday I slacked off, and today I'm back on track! Yay!

And now to the whole reason for this thread. My boyfriend and I live in the Seattle, Washington area. I'm originally from Texas (I've only lived here 2 years now) and he is from Michigan but lived all over (including California) when he was in the Navy. We both have problems with the weather here, because while it is beautiful, we are both beach bums at heart and miss the sunshine like crazy! We have talked about moving, but it is difficult because he has two little girls and his ex-wife lives here so we obviously don't want to move away from them.

So, she is thinking about moving to San Francisco! And now, after a discussion this weekend, we are thinking about it too! It will probably be a year out before it happens, but still, I'm freaking out just a little bit. Strange, because I moved from Texas to Seattle no problem, but for some reason California scares me. Earthquakes, supposed to be super expensive there, and the gas prices, oh my! Plus, I really want to have a baby soon, so just a lot of changes!

At the same time I'm excited. This has definitely given me new/more motivation to get to my goal weight. I would love to move there and not be seen as an overweight/unhealthy person.

So, if there is anyone who has ever lived in that area, I am totally open for advice. I think we are looking primarily in the San Jose area, because his ex-wife has family there. I don't know why, but this is just throwing me for a loop, kind of feel like I need a hug

Thanks for listening, sorry I don't have more of a point, just felt like sharing because it feels kind of crazy!
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Although they are in fairly close proximity there is a extraordinarily large difference between the city of San Francisco and the city of San Jose.

One thing both cities have in common though is that the neighborhood you're in can have a tremendous impact on your quality of life so before you sign a lease make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

Thanks JohnP! We are going to plan a few weekend trips to the area to do some exploring and get a feel for everything.
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

San Francisco is generally the coldest place in the country in the summer.I am not joking, you wear your winter clothes all year in SF. On the rare occasion that they have a warm day the come on TV and brag about it.
San Francisco is also very expensive but there are many other towns to pick from.
San Jose is a big city , an easy drive to SF, but no beach but they are also near by, a short drive and you are at the beach. Besides San Jose you might consider Palo Alto, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara, and East Bay has some option, too. Oakland, Castro Valley, San Leandro to name a few.
I lived on San Jose area most of my life.
Heres a piece of trivia for you. San Jose is larger than San Francisco, but not as notorious.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote