General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #1  

Unhappy I just need to rant about my exercise buddy/sister

!!RANT ALERT / NOVEL ALERT!!

So I find myself in a bit of a frustrating pickle and need to write it out. My sister, “Buddha Sis”, is my exercise buddy (a term I use very loosely) but the only thing she is exercising is my patience.

Buddha Sis had been wanting to lose weight for a very long time now, but the stars never seemed to align. In May 2012 she found out she was pregnant and decided she needed to at least maintain her weight for the duration of the baby-baking. She suggested we walk together as I had been walking on my own for a few months at that point. I agreed and soon regretted the decision.

~ She walks so much slower than me. While I can’t fault her completely, as she is a smoker and I’ve been walking longer, I can fault her for not even attempting to walk faster. I tried to tell her she wasn’t going to get better if she didn’t challenge herself, but she always had an excuse for not picking up the pace.

~ Because she walks slower than me I had to slow down. I ended up not getting as much out of the walks as I use to. I felt like we were just strolling and I started to resent her a bit.

~ She whined about strength training and refused to do it as it was “too hard”. Between compromising for her, cooking all my own meals, and everything else I let strength training fall from my routine (a mistake I can only blame myself for.)

~ She negated anything our “walks” may have accomplished by ordering out every night.

~ She and the husband have a camper up in PA that they go too on the weekends. This is not camping in the traditional sense – the camper is like a small rancher (running water, full bathroom, stove, fridge, heat/AC, cable, etc.). There was no restraint while there, she would eat whatever and however much she wanted without a second thought.

~ She would eat junk like baked ziti, gnocchi, garlic knots, pizza, etc. at home for dinner, snack the rest of the evening, then get upset when doctor visits showed she’d gained weight. She just couldn’t understand how she was gaining a pound a week. “I don’t drink beer on the weekends anymore and I’ve been walking every day!!” she lamented. All I could do was shake my head.

~ I started falling off the wagon after buddying up with her. I allowed myself to be talked out of exercising while being talked into eating junk. In the end those were my decisions to make, but she’s such a bad influence. She herself admitted to it being such.

~ By the end she stopped walking and gained a total of 35 to 40 pounds. She put her hope behind the idea that it was all water weight and she’d just pee it all out after birth like she did in her last pregnancy (19 years ago.) Well that didn’t happen.

And now we’re back right where we started, except I have a new nephew She now wants to lose the baby weight and has called upon me to be her walking buddy once again. Already demotivated by the weight itself and comments from her husband, I didn’t want to tell her no and demotivate her further. I’m going in very cautiously this time though. I’m not hesitating to put my needs before hers. No more accommodations.

~ I told her I strength train on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays so I won’t be available until after 6:30. My routine will no longer be put on the back burner.

~ It is up to her to contact me for walks. If I don't hear from her by a certain time I go out on my own.

~ I will not be staying at her house after walking. It’s walk, go home, eat healthy, and pack lunch for tomorrow. There is just too much temptation at her house.

I hate to say it, but it’s only been a week and I resent her already. As much as I try not to, I get irritated by her attitude and approach to the situation. Her expectations are unrealistic as she still lives in the weight-loss fantasy world that she has created.

~ She stills walks slow and now has the excuse that she’d pushing the baby stroller. When I mentioned that one of my goals is to take up jogging she said, “I don’t jog.” And that’s why I was never going to ask her :P

~ She wants to walk off her “fupa” and made the comment that it was weird and protruding. I reminded her that the protrusion was due too her abs splitting during pregnancy (she agreed), and that no amount of walking would fix it (she disagreed). I argued that you can’t fix damaged muscles with cardio, but strength training would help. Nope, wants absolutely nothing to do with strength training.

~ I walked in one day to find her eating Chinese food and questioned it since she said she was going to eat better. The response I got was, “The batter-dipped shrimp in fruit sauce sounded healthy.” She then rolls her eyes at me when I said there is no such thing as healthy take-out and she KNOWS that batter-dipped anything is not healthy. Rather than man up she instead tries to justify her bad choices.

~ While out walking she told me she’d done good that day food-wise: no breakfast, half a sandwich and a small bowl of soup from the hospital cafeteria, and a granola bar. I told her that wasn’t enough and then listed what I’d eaten that day. She told me I eat too much. I’d barely broken 1,400 calories that day and all of it was unprocessed, healthy foods. She then went home and had a frozen meal for dinner.

~ Last I saw her she said there was nothing in the house and she was thinking of ordering out. I left before seeing if she really did it, though I have no doubt she did.

~ She has declared that she will not stop eating and drinking whatever she wants while up at the camper. Now that she is baby-free she has to make up for the nine months of drinking that she missed, her words not mine. So if, by some miracle, she did create a deficit during the week she has no problem obliterating it on the weekends.

~ This is Week One of walking for her and so far she has missed three days out of four. Monday was good, Tuesday she was too tired, Wednesday I never heard from her, Thursday we got 23 minutes in before the baby got fussy and she went home, and every Friday she’ll be unavailable as they leave after work for their camper weekend.

As my sister I love her, but I can’t take the whining and excuses anymore. She keeps saying she wants this but then doesn’t follow up with the necessary actions. I have no desire to be her babysitter, especially if she’s going to fight me the whole way. I hate the idea of leaving her behind but at the same time I can’t have her holding me back. Like I said, a frustrating pickle but I know, in the end, I have to do what is best for me and my progress. I will gladly help her when she is truly ready to lose weight and is dedicated to the idea.

Thanks for reading,
Buddha Gal
Buddha Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Remember - you can only change yourself. She is responsible for her and you for you ... and you have to make the decision (and be proud of it!) to do what's best for you and maybe one day she will decide what's in her best interest - but no one else can do that for her. Sounds like you are there, and congratulations for that - try not to judge her and try to tune out her griping. That will only infuriate you and lure you further from peace.

Good luck!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
Remember - you can only change yourself. She is responsible for her and you for you ... and you have to make the decision (and be proud of it!) to do what's best for you and maybe one day she will decide what's in her best interest - but no one else can do that for her. Sounds like you are there, and congratulations for that - try not to judge her and try to tune out her griping. That will only infuriate you and lure you further from peace.

Good luck!
Perfectly said.

I was trying to find the right words but nationalparker took them all!

Good luck, you are doing awesome for yourself.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs

Just because she's family doesn't mean she has to be your workout BFF.
You two sound very different personality wise. Find someone who has the same goals and drive as you.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I didn't read the whole thing. but you can only change you. and you don't need to exercise with her.
as you wrote that out, did it become clearer to you what to do?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Oof.. incompatible exercise buddies are the WORST. They are honestly the reason I thought I hated exercise. It was always such a hassle. You have to do what works for you and she obviously isn't working for you. She's hindering you and though she may be your sister when it comes to weight loss you have to put you first. No one else is going to put you first.

I discovered two compatible exercise buddies and WOW, what a world of difference. We're constantly obeying Grumpy Cat (We have a picture where we work out of Grumpy Cat telling us to add more weight) and cheering each other on and the second girl recently started joining the first girl and I for runs at the gym. Completely changed my attitude about exercise. Apparently I love it (Even when alone) and my resentment was toward my gym buddies not the exercise.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #7  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

It sounds like you already know what to do: Take care of yourself! Don’t let her influence you.

Concerning her: Don’t let it concern you! Her body, her lifestyle, her business. It need not involve you at all. Seriously. I think you did the right thing by saying that she needs to contact you if she wants to join you on walks, and that you are going to stick to your routine regardless of what she chooses.

If you get tired of hearing her complain, tell her so. Maybe a short little conversation would make you feel better. For example:

Her – “Ugh, I really want to lose weight, blah blah blah… Zitti... blah blah blah... Camper... Babyweight... Drinking...Blah!”
You – “You’ve been saying this to me over and over. Do you want advice or just need someone to complain to? If you want advice I’m happy to give it. If you’re looking to complain, save it. I love you but I don’t want to hear it anymore. If you aren’t willing to change your lifestyle you won’t be able to change your weight.”

I really think that she’s taking up too much of your energy. It may simply be that weight loss and fitness have no place in your relationship, and that’s ok. Good luck.

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 04-12-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

What I would suggest, though it takes a bit of extra effort is to do what you want to do exercise-wise and treat walking with her as extra credit so-to speak.

I second what Missy Krissy said too, tell her you love her and don't mind giving advice but that you can't listen to the complaining anymore. Weightloss is a matter of your health, you need to treat your body right no matter who interferes or brings you down. She sounds like an unintentional saboteur and I hope the advice on this thread gives you the positive energy to get her out of your weightloss world.

Last edited by Skellig19; 04-12-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #9  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

ive had many many workout buddies who take the term "workout" to mean "stroll in the park when I feel like it"

I put the ball TOTALLY in their court....for example "let me know when you'd like to go for a walk" etc...and I consider stuff like that secondary exercise...it's not my main workout and I never expect to hear from them, but if they really invite me to do something, i'm always up for some additional light exercise

I once had a friend who only wanted to walk when it wasn't raining...hello?? we live in a RAINFOREST...it always rains!!...needless to say we hardly ever went lol
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Oh yeesh. Tell her to get a copy of Julie Tupler`s diastasis correction book and call you in the future when she`s ready to do the work, LOL. I love my sister too but good grief, I`m surprised you made it this far!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #11  

You're better off to worry about yourself...I've found weight loss is best a solo activity. This includes the diet change and exercise. Besides, I think exercising alone is so peaceful!

On another note, it sounds like all her offenses happened while she was pregnant or right after having the baby…how many kids do you have? I would never continue a workout with someone if they were pregnant because of course they will not be improving their workout. If someone is out of shape when they start their pregnancy, pregnancy is not the time to get into shape. Your friend was right about maintaining, if she didn't already have an exercise routine.
And you seem a little harsh about her weight gain. Yeah it’s not ideal, but she is pregnant, and it seems she already has issue with controlling her weight while not pregnant, so it’s only going to be harder while pregnant.

As for her walking slower than you, women can experience increased shortness of breath while pregnant, and joint pain, and my goodness it gets harder and harder to go for a walk, let alone a brisk one. Frankly, if one of my non pregnant friends invited me on a walk and then got annoyed that I was too slow,or that I needed to challenge myself, I’d probably go all crazy pregnant lady on their butt.

I don't know your friend or her health but I got the impression that she's not committed to weight loss, however if you've never been pregnant and don't know how it feels physically, then you need to be a little more understanding, evn if she has a crumby history of sticking with an exercise routine....

I'm working on baby number 3, and let me tell you, I know there are some women that are running marathons prego...but some of us are happy just to walk daily. Also, now she has a newborn. Frankly, when my babies are newborns, I have very little patience for friends that demand my time that don't know what it’s like to care for a newborn. I work on my weight loss alone and on my schedule, which is often my second concern at first and slowly becomes easier as the baby gets older. You are not even supposed to jog with a baby until they are at least 6 months.

So while I would not recommend pairing up with your friend because she doesn’t sound like her heart's in it anyway, if you’ve never been pregnant, realize that you might be under estimating how she felt pregnant, and now with a new baby to care for. If you have been pregnant, and it was an easy one, be grateful. But I read your post from the pregnant lady point of view, and if you were my friend, I'd be looking to dump you as a workout partner.

Oh and after my second son I got into running and got pretty much to goal, and my belly was gone. It was still loose skin, but none of that fat hanging over FUPA you were talking about, so don’t discourage your friend by telling her only a few months after having a baby that because her abds separated she’s never going to get rid of it. Every women is different and I’ve seen some natural no surgery abds on women after several kids. SOunds to me like your friend is being very patient with you.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 04-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #12  

19 years between pregnancies??? Wowzers, no wonder she's probably tired. It's hard enough being 20 and pregnant or 20 with a newborn. She must be closer to 40. That's exhausting.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #13  

FUPA can be exacerbated by severe diastasis recti (it's not necessarily fat but such loose muscles that it givest he appearance of it). I am 129lbs at 5'5 and still dealing with the remnants of it caused by a 5 finger (severe) separation unfortunately. It's almost closed but that's why I recommend the Tupler book

Last edited by sacha; 04-12-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Since it's just a rant, I don't think advice is necessary. So I'll just say that fupa has nothing to do with abdominal muscles, lol.
^this^ Its supposed to stand for fat upper p***y area...but I figured she was talking about the lower abd since she was talking about it being affected by split abds.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
19 years between pregnancies??? Wowzers, no wonder she's probably tired. It's hard enough being 20 and pregnant or 20 with a newborn. She must be closer to 40. That's exhausting.
^and this!!^

I was 25 with my first 28 with my second and now 32, and boy do I feel a difference!!!