General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #46  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Lol lunarsongbird You read the same study
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella1609 View Post
I think wearing bras is a cultural thing. We don't really need to wear shirts or pants, but it's not socially acceptable to go without (it's actually illegal). I don't wear a bra at home, but I never leave home without it! It also hurts me to do any sort of brisk movements without a bra on even though my breasts aren't large (34C). Good sports bras are important for high impact exercise because you can overstress the Cooper's ligaments (I feel like someone mentioned this already).

A note on measuring--I managed an intimate apparel department at Macy's for a couple of years and your breast shape is as important as your measurements. Different brands fit differently on different breasts, just like other kinds of clothing. I found the best fit was achieved by adding 2-3"; using the actual measurement as band size resulted in bras that were uncomfortable and left red marks. More important than learning to measure yourself is learning how a properly fitted bra should look. Lots of videos/websites online about it, but basically you shouldn't have excess flesh being squeezed out around your band or under your arms (unless you are very overweight in which case unfortunately it sometimes cannot be helped), the front center of your bra should lie flush with your skin, and your breast tissue should be completely enclosed by the cups (no leakage top, bottom, or under the arm). I also prefer to fit on the center hook as that gives you room to adjust both up or down (it's normal for breasts to swell at different times throughout the month).

Funny how all of us women obsess about bras--I just posted a very similar reply to a very similar thread on another forum
hmmm can you size me form my measurements? Victoria's Secret said 38 DD
but my measurements give me 37 DDD

band: 37
bust: 43
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

This article is timely...

Do Women Need Bras?
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #49  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I totallllly don't buy into the "Women don't need bras" thing. Then explain the photos from national geographic to me? The young women had perky breasts. The older women did not and I mean older in not that old.

That, and I was just telling my husband the other day that when my mom was in her 30s she was COMPLETELY flat. She had big boobs (She wore a DD, but I'm sure she needed a bigger size), but when she was bra-less, she looked like she had NO boobs. She never wore a bra at home, ever. And I'm sure the bra she wore every day was the wrong size any way.

I have always worn a bra. I'm quite chesty and I don't sag any more now that I did when I was 20 and I'm 43.

Like Arctic Mama - I find my bras comfy. There have been times I have gone to bed forgetting to take mine off. (Oh, and I used to wear them to bed too - until I got married).

Now... do I think ALL women need bras? No... I don't, but those of us with E? F/ G? etc? YES we do.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 04-12-2013 at 10:03 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Yeah. I'm a D cup and while I don't generally wear a bra at home, I do when I go out. I can't imagine going without one for certain activities like riding a horse or driving on a rough road.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #51  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Autopsy View Post
hmmm can you size me form my measurements? Victoria's Secret said 38 DD
but my measurements give me 37 DDD

bust: 43
36DDD or 38DDD for US standard bras, 36E or 38E for Freya/Panache bras since you have an odd number- the blog I linked says you could be go up or down a size if you are in between sizes. Don't forget about all different kinds of bra shapes/styles because all breasts have different shapes.

Can I ask how you measured yourself for the bust size? A tip I received for measuring your bust was to to be braless, bend over and let the girls hang free then measure the fullest point of the boobs.

This picture may help someone else to learn how to measure properly. 1 is band size and 2 is bust size, subtract the difference to get your cup size. If you are in between sizes, you can go up and down a size (do not use the rounded up/down numbers to subtract to get your cup size.)
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
36DDD or 38DDD for US standard bras, 36E or 38E for Freya/Panache bras since you have an odd number- the blog I linked says you could be go up or down a size if you are in between sizes. Don't forget about all different kinds of bra shapes/styles because all breasts have different shapes.

Can I ask how you measured yourself for the bust size? A tip I received for measuring your bust was to to be braless, bend over and let the girls hang free then measure the fullest point of the boobs.

This picture may help someone else to learn how to measure properly. 1 is band size and 2 is bust size, subtract the difference to get your cup size. If you are in between sizes, you can go up and down a size (do not use the rounded up/down numbers to subtract to get your cup size.)
i measured standing straight up... let's measure like how you said

bent over = 45.5

so bra size
bust: 45.5

8.5 difference... H or I?
that's impossible
they're totally not really that big
if i were an H/I how come DD's have empty space in the cups?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I feel like the bending over would give you an inaccurate measurement because your breast tissue would shift differently than it would if you were standing upright. Maybe if they were quite dense and firm

I would size you in a 38DD or a 40D depending on what I saw in the fitting room. I've never sized for Freya or Panache, but I've worked with Vanity Fair, Bali, Wacoal, Maidenform, Olga's Christina, Layette, Warner, and probably some others I've forgotten. I've worn Victoria's Secret and Frederick's and they seem to be similarly sized to others I'm familiar with. All of these manufacturers would fit too tightly if you didn't add 2-3" (some product reps recommend 3-4" or 4-5", but I didn't find I got as good of a fit if I added more). This does change once you get to 40+ as then you usually just buy your actual band size. I think it is somewhat important to check the manufacturer's fit guide because there's no law out there that certain size bras have to be a certain length/volume. Just like any other item of clothing, you have to try it on!! You wouldn't expect to get measured for jeans and then be able to fit equally well into Old Navy, Lee, and Levi jeans.

Last edited by stella1609; 04-12-2013 at 11:59 PM.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #54  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Autopsy View Post
i measured standing straight up... let's measure like how you said

bent over = 45.5

so bra size
bust: 45.5

8.5 difference... H or I?
that's impossible
they're totally not really that big
if i were an H/I how come DD's have empty space in the cups?
Wow, what an interesting difference! I measured mine this way and my bras I get fit me just fine including filling the cup size. My breasts are definitely not dense and firm, more saggy/droopy. There was a member here, runningfromfat (wish she was still around!) and she knows a TON about this stuff (way more than me, lol) which is how I learned to measure myself. What started me on proper fitting bras and how to measure yourself properly including leaning over was a combination of threads- here, here (an excerpt from this thread), and here, and a good video on youtube that you may want to check out if you'd like of course. I wish I could be more of help to you! :\

Last edited by amandie; 04-13-2013 at 12:22 AM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Bra fitting is really more art than science--I was incredibly well-trained by Macy's (lots of seminars, product reps coming into the stores, etc.) but I learned the most just from spending a couple of years fitting women and learning what worked/didn't work for different breasts/bodies. If you are fitting yourself, it's the same sort of trial and error. My best advice is if you find a brand that fits your breasts well, stick with it even if you change sizes! The shape of your breasts is probably going to remain similar.

Last edited by stella1609; 04-13-2013 at 12:34 AM.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #56  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Bent over measurements are far more accurate than standing for all but the most soft-tissued breasts. Most women are wear bands far too loose, not too tight, and quite frankly it is easier to assess sizing down in a cup than up from a poor fit, since a tight cup can mask a poorly fitting band. I always recommend sizing down in the band for gals who aren't rail thin (fat squishes, but it is imperative for support than the band be firm.)

I'd try a 36 H and see how it feels. Especially a demi-cup or balconette model should give you a very accurate idea of whether you're in the ballpark. Full cup models are NOT good for zeroing in a size unless your breasts are full at the top. Gals like me, with teardrop shaped breasts that are very soft, tend to get major cup emptiness at the top of full cup models, but sizing down will pinch the sides of the breast tissue and lead to tissue migration and armpit fat. Many, many gals have this problem! So trying out models that are cut a bit lower on top can take that variable out (you can always order different shaped cups later, once you have your size down, and see what suits you best).

As for why there may be space in a D or DD bra? Think of it like trying to put an orange in a drinking glass. The orange is bigger than the circumference of the glass, and so it sits on top. But there is still empty space at the tip, not because the orange is too smal but because it doesn't properly fill the glass. Bra cups are quite similar. If the base of your breast is wider than the underwires of the bra, especially by a significant margin, puckering at the bottom or tip of the cups is often seen. But that doesn't mean the bra is too big, it means the breast needs a much wider, deeper underwire to sit comfortably within, so both the center gore AND sides of the underwire are encasing all the tissue, rather than lying on top of it.

I personally don't like Panache (underwires are too high under the arms for a short gal like me) or Freya (cups are cut in such a way that the outer top edge always puckers, and this is a common problem for many wearers). Elomi, Curvy Kate, Ewa Michalak (my all-time favorite for support AND the best shaping under my clothes, I look ten pounds lighter in these bras!), Prima Donna, Empreinte, and the like are much better bets for many gals. And while some of the brands are high luxury and priced accordingly, others are extremely affordable. I've found good fitting, large cup/small band bras for as little as $35 USD and as much as $160. But keying in on a properly tight band is the crucial first step, the cup size is much more forgiving, especially if you err on the larger side.

For an excellent selection of well fitting brands, I'd check out Intimacy:
http://store.myintimacy.com/bras

For more articles on getting properly fitted, these two sites should help immensely:
http://www.bralessinbrasil.com/p/fin...-that-fit.html
http://www.venusianglow.com/p/bra-matrix.html

This recent blogpost is also incredibly helpful:
http://blog.butterflycollection.ca/2...wrong-bra.html

*whew*. Hope that helps, that was a lot of typing

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-13-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #57  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I just tried on bras at Marshalls. I picked up 34 DD. As SOMETIMES that size fits perfectly for me. When usually I need a 34F and sometimes 34G - depending on the maker of the bra.

Well, these 3 bras - all different manufacturers were like 4 sizes too small. Yet, I was wearing a very well fitting 34DD into the fitting room.

Arcticmama - I had not thought about balconettes maybe being better. I ran into the "not filled at top" thing on some full coverage bras because I'm also tear shaped. I should try that.

It's about time to buy new bras again as I haven't gotten an in a year and sooner or later a wire is going to poke through or elastic will wear out, etc.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #58  

wow thanks for all the advice. yes mine are definitely teardrop shaped, they are closer to pancakes than muffins xP i'll have to try and find a good specialty bra store near me.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #59  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I honestly just measured and ordered online with the exception of ONCE being near an actual Intimacy branch (not a lot of specialty lingerie in Alaska ).

Ordering from a company with an easy return policy like HerRoom, Linda's Online, or the like is pretty straightforward. Just take your measurements, find a few bras around the size from the same manufacturer, and then try them on and zero in on the best. Return the rest and either get refunded or use store credit to buy some additional bras in that size from other manufacturers (which may take some more returning to get correct, if the sizing is quite disparate). I didn't have someone fit me in person until I was fairly certain of my own size. Fortunately this was an expert fitter with a full range of sizes available, and her assessment was almost spot on with my own
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

I have a friend who is an E and she said the best thing she ever did was go to a tailor who specializes in bras. It is expensive to do but it is more comfortable for her and clothes actually fit better. She doesn't wear a bra at night, I think it is important to let them have a little freedom sometimes.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote