3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Compliments??!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/279181-compliments.html)

tubolard 04-05-2013 10:51 PM

Compliments??!!!

In the last week I have had 3 different people compliment me on my weight loss. One lady squeeled when she saw me and told me I was so skinny, A man my hubby knows asked if I had lost weight and told him I was looking really good and tonight in a store the checker said "girl you are getting skinnier and skinnier on me".
I don't know quite what to make of it since I still feel like I am 230+ pounds even though I can see the smaller numbers on my clothing sizes. It makes me feel really good in one way, but the other part of me is feeling like wow, I was reeeaaallllyyyyy horrible to look at before the loss.
Brain - Hurry up and catch up to my body please, I really need to be able to see the loss with my own eyes.

amandie 04-05-2013 10:58 PM

:hug: that is soooo awesome! You have come a long way and are so close. I hope it won't take too long before your brain catches up! :carrot:

Arctic Mama 04-06-2013 12:13 AM

That is excellent progress! I'm sure it is very noticeable, especially to people who don't see you every day.

The brains takes a long time to catch up with the mirror, on both sides of the weight equation! Many of us, when we're heavier, still 'see' ourselves more slim, which is why photographs can be incredibly jarring/horrifying (our brains process an image differently than active feedback from a mirror).

In the same way, when we get slimmer, there is often a lag where we 'see' fat in the mirror and are surprised, upon being photographed or having someone else comment on it, that our bodies actually have changed and no longer match up to the mental image we have had of ourselves.

It DOES get better, but it takes time and reinforcement. That's why I take measurements and lots of pictures - because my eyes and mind lie on this subject. Now, finally, four years out of beginning, what I see in the mirror matches what I see in a photo - no more lag. But it tools months and months of seeing myself to slowly adjust my mental picture to match reality. Some do it faster, some have a lot more cognitive dissonance and trouble adjusting to the difference. It's very individual :)

seabiscuit 04-06-2013 02:25 AM

Congratulations on your weight loss! :carrot:

I understand that compliments can be overwhelming too. Sometimes I hear them about things other than weight loss and in my opinion, I think they are well intentioned usually, but often I don't know how to reply to them. I've heard it said and I am beginning to believe more and more that there is a strong connection between mind and body.

It sounds like you are on the right track with your weight loss! :) I hope that you take the time to care for yourself that you need.

:hug:

Palestrina 04-06-2013 08:02 AM

Good for you, that's wonderful that you've reached so far in your goal!

The thing that I hate about compliments is that they make me feel a lot of pressure. Every time I hear "how you've lost some weight, you're looking really good." My mind says "why are you giving me a compliment when I will most likely fail in the long run?" It also does make me quite sensitive to the fact that I looked horrible before and it makes me feel sorry for myself.

Compliments are hard.

Roo2 04-06-2013 09:00 AM

That is wonderful! You should be so proud of your accomplishments!

I agree with ArticMama about the brain taking awhile to catch up with the mirror! That was how it was for me.....then one day I finally saw it too!
Congratulations!;)

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:: cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::c heer:

Roo2:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Misti in Seattle 04-06-2013 10:01 AM

I think it is wonderful! People are being kind to support you in your achievements... enjoy it! You've earned it!

IAmTheGlue 04-06-2013 08:23 PM

Congratulations! I am glad all your hard work is being noticed by those around you!

IanG 04-06-2013 08:27 PM

Ride the wave!

rachel6101 04-09-2013 01:58 AM

You are so inspiring! You should write down the compliments on post it notes and stick them on mirrors in your house. That way the negative false voice in your head is shut down by the positive compliments you've received. :)

Mozzy 04-09-2013 02:07 AM

Congrats on your loss so far! Keep up the good work!