General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Default So, my DBF weighs 141 pounds...

...and wants to weigh 150 but can't seem to gain. He mentioned it after weighing himself on the bathroom scale - yes, the same scale that I step on every morning, buck naked, after using the toilet, for the lowest possible number (sorry if TMI, but c'mon, I know I'm not the only one...) He has high cholesterol so is trying to lower his cholesterol which means cutting out a lot of saturated fat which has caused him to get below his ideal weight. He is healthy - well muscled, and lean, and just slender build. Good looking, I would say, but then again I'm biased .

I am at 213, and my lowest adult weight is about 185, just into the "overweight" and not "obese" category for BMI. And, by the way, we are the same height (which is nice for hugs and kisses). DBF is a wonderful, sweet, loving, supportive, and almost saintly human being. We have been together for years and he has seen me as high as 238 and as low as 195, and has loved me all the same and just wants me to be healthy. He tells me I am beautiful and is totally sincere. I am tremendously happy with him, and not sure why this whole "141" number is wigging me out a little bit. I did not, BTW, respond by telling him my weight.

Perhaps relevant is the fact that DBF grew up in poverty where there wasn't always a lot of food (or even enough food) to go around so he is definitely a "eat to live" not "live to eat" kind of person. The doctor tells him he should lower his cholesterol and boom, there he goes, cutting out red meat and fried food, eating salmon, taking fish oil, eating veggies and whole grains. This is a guy who decided that pasta just isn't that healthy so stopped eating it. Period. I think food for him is this very mechanical thing that literally is there to fill his stomach so he can do what he needs to do and that is it. Of course, I love to cook and bake, and try new recipes and new foods, and probably am more of a "live to eat" person. I find DBF's commitment and determination (about this and a lot of things) pretty darn inspiring.

I was sort of thinking that my goal was going to be 165 or so - a "normal" BMI. But really, since my lowest adult weight is 185 it's hard to even imagine what that would look or feel like. Now a part of me wants to say my goal is 150, so at least DBF and I have the same goal weight - only that he has to gain to reach it, and I have to lose!

I'm not really asking for a particular piece of advice, just wanted to share this story with folks also on a health/weight-loss journey who may have a partner with a totally different health situation. Anyone out there with a similar experience? Or some insight or responses?
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Y'know, it's funny--I've noticed, from other posts on here (maybe the one "can you fit into your partner's jeans"?), how many couples have yin & yang body types! Maybe it's just an evolutionary thing, which I find really interesting!!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs

I think it's awesome that you're being so logical and mature. I am married and my husband has never weighed less than me. When he starts to eat "better" and loses weight, I get a panicky feeling and immediately have to step up my game. Thankfully my DH is built like a baseball player and looks good at higher weight than me.
See if you can find any new recipes that might encourage him to maintain his weight while also lowering his cholesterol. Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

My husband is just shy of 6'2" and has always weighed less than me. Thankfully he's not as skinny was he used to be (150ish! )

I understand the desire to weigh the same or less but it can become a distraction and quite a sticky point. You admitted you don't know what you'll look like below a certain weight, let alone at 150.

Losing weight is hard enough as is so please try not to make big goals that you may or may not be able to make. It can lead to additional frustration and "backsliding". Ask me how I know. Be the healthiest you can be and take it one step at a time.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I think this is perfect for you!!!
He wants to eat healthy so it should be easier for you to stick to those healthy habits... Look it that way, you and him will be healthier together!

He probably won't gain weight ever! Other than maybe 15-20lbs when he gets older. I have 4 brothers and all of us struggle with weight but one of them got my dad's genes and he just won't gain, he is very slender and if he works out he gets muscular, but not a oz of fat for him...

The whole point of my post is... Do not look at this in a negative way, he was always smaller than you and you knew this, take this time to change your eating habits and enjoy having the support of your bf
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote