General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default How in the heck do you find a good paying job?

So, this is the deal. I have a degree in Spanish and a M.Ed in Higher education administration (to work in university services). I have stayed home with my kids for the last 8 years.

This past year I have worked part time as a Sunday School Director (and teacher) and for half a year I worked part-time temporary as a blog writer (had three bosses in that time!)

Now, I'm looking again and there's like NOTHING.

I've applied to a few things within the same org. I worked part-time as I have good references from that job, but I didn't get an interview for the full-time job. I did get an interview for the part-time job. I was one of 80 applicants and one of 7 they interviewed. I still didn't get the lousy part-time job!

My husband has put a 35,000 minimum salary needed for me to go back to work (it's the amount that would make sense - anything less than that and I might as well not work). Well NOW???

I interview very well. I have good references, but my skills are EXTREMELY generic. I don't have mad computer programming skills. I don't have certifications in any speciality. So what can I do???

Then, I start looking at going back to school WAH!!!!! I don't want to! I have BTDT and the idea of taking a GRE again about gives me the heebie jeebies as I know I'll have to really study for them as I'm 43 and do NOT remember all the math I used to know, etc. and everything I look at would take me 2-3 years to re-educate.

And what do I want to do? Ah... that's the kicker. There's lots of things I think would be interesting - dietician, school teacher (just not in Spanish - my spanish is way rusty and I have never, ever wanted to teach Spanish in HS). I could get a secretary's job (if it paid well enough) and be satisfied. I have no dying urge to do anything.

And THAT is funny for me to say as I used to be so career driven - then I had kids and realized that career crazy and being the parent I want to be are HARD. Really, if the pay is OK and the people I work with are OK, just about any job would be OK by me. I'm EASY in that regard. but holy moly... where are the jobs and how do I get one?

I live in the DC burbs - actually more between Baltimore and DC and I would LOVE to be uber local, but nothing farther than 20-30 minutes commute.

OK... maybe now I'll feel better, I've been reading the universities stuff and job stuff and well, I'm bummed.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Have you ever tried a temp agency? Having general skills and good references is a plus, and you get to try out a lot of different jobs. Lots of times temp jobs can turn into permanent.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good luck finding something. Maybe try a non-profit organization?
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
So, this is the deal. I have a degree in Spanish and a M.Ed in Higher education administration (to work in university services). I have stayed home with my kids for the last 8 years.

This past year I have worked part time as a Sunday School Director (and teacher) and for half a year I worked part-time temporary as a blog writer (had three bosses in that time!)

Now, I'm looking again and there's like NOTHING.

I've applied to a few things within the same org. I worked part-time as I have good references from that job, but I didn't get an interview for the full-time job. I did get an interview for the part-time job. I was one of 80 applicants and one of 7 they interviewed. I still didn't get the lousy part-time job!

My husband has put a 35,000 minimum salary needed for me to go back to work (it's the amount that would make sense - anything less than that and I might as well not work). Well NOW???

I interview very well. I have good references, but my skills are EXTREMELY generic. I don't have mad computer programming skills. I don't have certifications in any speciality. So what can I do???

Then, I start looking at going back to school WAH!!!!! I don't want to! I have BTDT and the idea of taking a GRE again about gives me the heebie jeebies as I know I'll have to really study for them as I'm 43 and do NOT remember all the math I used to know, etc. and everything I look at would take me 2-3 years to re-educate.

And what do I want to do? Ah... that's the kicker. There's lots of things I think would be interesting - dietician, school teacher (just not in Spanish - my spanish is way rusty and I have never, ever wanted to teach Spanish in HS). I could get a secretary's job (if it paid well enough) and be satisfied. I have no dying urge to do anything.

And THAT is funny for me to say as I used to be so career driven - then I had kids and realized that career crazy and being the parent I want to be are HARD. Really, if the pay is OK and the people I work with are OK, just about any job would be OK by me. I'm EASY in that regard. but holy moly... where are the jobs and how do I get one?

I live in the DC burbs - actually more between Baltimore and DC and I would LOVE to be uber local, but nothing farther than 20-30 minutes commute.

OK... maybe now I'll feel better, I've been reading the universities stuff and job stuff and well, I'm bummed.
Can I just ask you something out of pure curiousity, I am a German major in university right now. You say you have a degree in spanish, so how come you say you're rusty in it? I do not know how american schools work I assume youre american but here when you leave a language degree youre generally fluent and able to read literature and communicate with anyone in that language. or was it spanish cultral studies? Knowing spanish should help you find a job in the states I would assume and if its spanish cultural studies maybe jobs in community programs??

It sounds like for the education you have jobs in the language/communication or education fields are youre best option but you dont want to teach so I'm confused ? Did you want to teach when you took those degrees but feel you want to change career track? . If so I suggest biting the bullet and going back to school.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

No advice but just .. good luck! It sounds like someone would be very lucky to have you in an administrative assistant position if you are willing to do that and think it will fulfill you (as you said)- did you try applying for those jobs? You are clearly bright and way qualified.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #6  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryQuinn View Post
Can I just ask you something out of pure curiousity, I am a German major in university right now. You say you have a degree in spanish, so how come you say you're rusty in it? I do not know how american schools work I assume youre american but here when you leave a language degree youre generally fluent and able to read literature and communicate with anyone in that language. or was it spanish cultral studies? Knowing spanish should help you find a job in the states I would assume and if its spanish cultural studies maybe jobs in community programs??

It sounds like for the education you have jobs in the language/communication or education fields are youre best option but you dont want to teach so I'm confused ? Did you want to teach when you took those degrees but feel you want to change career track? . If so I suggest biting the bullet and going back to school.
I got that degree about 20 years ago and I've never, ever used it. Now, has it helped me get jobs in the past? it sure has as I could say I was conversant, but with 20 years of never saying more than Hola! to anyone, and I'm beyond rusty.

Add to that, our home is bilingual with Croatian (my husband is from Croatia). Since I hear that language every day, THOSE words pop into my head faster/easier than Spanish words do.

To teach Spanish, I would have to seriously relearn/study to feel comfortable to say I'm fluent - without making those gringo mistakes.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-12-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I got that degree about 20 years ago and I've never, ever used it. Now, has it helped me get jobs in the past? it sure has as I could say I was conversant, but with 20 years of never saying more than Hola! to anyone, and I'm beyond rusty.

Add to that, our home is bilingual with Croatian (my husband is from Croatia). Since I hear that language every day, THOSE words pop into my head faster/easier than Spanish words do.

To teach Spanish, I would have to seriously relearn/study to feel comfortable to say I'm fluent - without making those gringo mistakes.
If you speak Croatian that could really help too. Its different I guess in the states than here, language is more important here, but you guys tend to be more unilingual so I don't know how much it helps there
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #8  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryQuinn View Post
If you speak Croatian that could really help too. Its different I guess in the states than here, language is more important here, but you guys tend to be more unilingual so I don't know how much it helps there
There is a difference between understanding a language and being completely fluent in it. I 'can' speak Croatian for survival purposes, but I wouldn't call myself fluent and I only know it spoken, not written.

So many jobs are re-writing things from one language to another. Well, you REALLLLLLLLY need to know your stuff extremely well to do that. And I don't.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #9  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
No advice but just .. good luck! It sounds like someone would be very lucky to have you in an administrative assistant position if you are willing to do that and think it will fulfill you (as you said)- did you try applying for those jobs? You are clearly bright and way qualified.
Thanks.... anyone who knows me, KNOWS I would be good. I have a really strong work ethic. I learn fast, I'm very personable and efficient. It's just finding those opportunities!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My advice is look for the job you want and see what are the qualifications and try to obtain them. Now I would think that 35k wouldn't be that hard but even if you got paid less and worked your way up, then that wouldn't be bad.

For teaching, all you might need is a teaching credential which I believe takes a year? You might want to see if there are any jobs within schools like teacher's aid for which you could apply for. For dietician, you'd need a MS as well as most likely do unpaid internships.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #11  
Melissa

nelie - there are a couple routes for teaching. One is 13 months (two summers, and a fall and spring terms) via U of Md. Deadline for applying for this summer was Feb. 1st. So I missed the deadline.

Then there is UMBC and it's four semesters (no summers).

Alternatively, there are career switchers, but that would probably involve teaching at a high risk school with high risk kids. I have nothing against, that but talk about high pressure! And.... would it then be easy enough to transfer to my county? or would that route be looked down upon as inferior... stuff like that.

I've really thought about the dietician route, but that would take a LONG time.

I've got my app in for a couple school jobs (in the works anyway), but the timing is bad for taking a low paying job (if it goes over the summer) as I have a 7 year old and what would I do with him this summer if I'm working a really low paying job? it would COST us money for me to work in that case.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-12-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Did the deadline pass for UMBC? I'd try to contact them if so and see if there is a chance. Sometimes deadlines are very flexible. It sounds like that would work better for you anyway if you are concerned about your son and summers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #13  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

If you need to make childcare arrangements for after school care, school closing days and summer vacations, then it does make sense to think about how much money you'd need to earn to break even, esp. when you have to factor in taxes and other work expenses (gas and extra mileage on your car, work clothing, etc.)

And forgive me for presuming, but it sounds like you don't *need* to go to work for financial reasons. If that's true, then I would really think about what you have a passion for, and do what you need to get there, even if it does mean some going back to school.

What about becoming a personal trainer/fitness & weightloss coach? You certainly seem well informed and passionate about that! And you would likely be able to make your own schedule and limit your need for childcare plus be able to keep up with all the cooking that you do - it's hard to cook everything from scratch all the time when you work full time!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #14  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
If you need to make childcare arrangements for after school care, school closing days and summer vacations, then it does make sense to think about how much money you'd need to earn to break even, esp. when you have to factor in taxes and other work expenses (gas and extra mileage on your car, work clothing, etc.)

And forgive me for presuming, but it sounds like you don't *need* to go to work for financial reasons. If that's true, then I would really think about what you have a passion for, and do what you need to get there, even if it does mean some going back to school.

What about becoming a personal trainer/fitness & weightloss coach? You certainly seem well informed and passionate about that! And you would likely be able to make your own schedule and limit your need for childcare plus be able to keep up with all the cooking that you do - it's hard to cook everything from scratch all the time when you work full time!
We are OK "now", but my son will be starting college in 1.5 years. We cannot afford to put him through college without my contributing more financially.

My husband wants me to find and do something I'm passionate about - oh... and pays $ too. I want to work too. I do not love the stay at home mom gig, but it's tough to juggle it all (I have been the working mom too).
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'd suggest you look into selling property and casualty insurance. You're smart, you like people, and you're bi-lingual. You're perfect. Too bad you're not local I'd hire you. After you get some experience you can decide if you want to open your own agency or just coninue working for someone else.

Where I live P&C pays around 30,000 a year to start.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote