General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #1  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Unhappy Hernia Repair over 2 yrs ago and a weird bulge - going to doc Friday

Background - I had a hysterectomy June 2008 with a large vertical abdominal incision. After 6 weeks the ob/gyn doc said I was clear to do anything. This, I believe, was not right.

It was the height of the recession and I have psych issues for which I have since gone on disability, but at the time I was desperate for a job. So I took this crummy retail job and was doing lifting of heavy items and by 2010 had a big incisional hernia and several little ones.

The surgeon who repaired that put in mesh, and I had to wear this thick hot elastic binder (ugh) because of my already fat tummy and it was a record hot summer. But I survived. However, I had to revisit the doc a couple of extra times post-op because there was a bulge of fluid where the big hernia had been.

Well, he adopted a wait-and-see approach and didn't drain out the fluid. But now, 2-1/2 years later, the bulge remains and last year I had my primary doc look at it. She said the hernia repair was holding. But I'm so lopsided! It makes me really disproportionally that much bigger in the stomach I can't buy jeans and my self-esteem is taking a beating.

Just pray for me that something can be done about this. I have a YMCA membership so if the doctor again says I just need to tone, then I will tone. But sometimes the thing hurts so if it ends up that I need surgery again, I will be dismayed at that (but maybe at least optimistic that my weird bulge can be fixed . . .).

And if you're reading this and have been through anything similar, I would be most grateful if you'd care to share about it!

Thanks!
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

I haven't been through anything like that but I'm sending you positive vibes for Friday. I hope things work out for you in a positive manner and the pain and weird bulge will be fixed and gone for good!
Monkeyruler164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #3  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Thank you very much! I made the appointment several weeks ago - it's my annual checkup too. And I was feeling apprehensive but now as it draws closer I feel more positive, like maybe there will be a solution. And hopefully other health issues will be okay as well - there are other (hopefully) minor ones. And of course, there's weight. Always that!

I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Sending positive vibes for tomorrow. Everything will work out!
Monkeyruler164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #5  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Well, it's a hernia . . . last year I guess it wasn't "ripe" enough or something but the doctor said right away this time that's what it is. : I probably reinjured it last fall when I was moving, lifting too much.

The good news is it can be fixed, hopefully. My doctor asked if I wanted to see the same surgeon as before or a different one. I said the one from before was fine, because I figure that's better; he would have the records and recollection of the previous repairs.

I'm not in a huge hurry - with summer coming on, and me being heat-sensitive, I would prefer to wait till fall since I'll probably have to wear a thick abdominal binder post-op.

In the meantime, too, I can exercise, gently, and maybe drop some pounds before all this takes place. I have gained some over the past year and a half and if I know I have this hernia I'll avoid exercises that stress that area. I love to swim, so that might be the perfect thing, that and gentle walking and the weight machines but not the abdominal one for now.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #6  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Default Update

Saw the surgeon today and am going to have a second hernia repair in one week! Just didn't expect it to be so soon. It'll be okay, though, just have to stay focused and see what I need to do, like getting errands and housework done and whatnot so I am prepared for going in for surgery and for a minimal-stress recuperation.

It's going to be the hot summer and I wish I could change that, but oh well. Hopefully as soon as the incision is okay I'll be able to go to the Y again and get in the pool to cool off, just not swim strenuously. I'll have to see what the doc says.

On the positive side, I will be rid of the lopsided bump eventually, which will help me feel more motivated to exercise. I've felt so discouraged by that odd bulge, the difficulty fitting into clothes, that it has been demotivational. I'll have to go slowly of course but if all goes well I will work really hard to firm up and lose my weight.

If there are hitches or glitches, I'll try to find a way to deal with those, but I sure hope there won't be.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #7  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Well, while it sucks it is being done in the summertime with all the heat, at least it will be repaired and you'll be rid of that bump!

hoping for a speedy recovery without any bumps along the way!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #8  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Well, while it sucks it is being done in the summertime with all the heat, at least it will be repaired and you'll be rid of that bump!

hoping for a speedy recovery without any bumps along the way!
Thanks! T-minus less than 2 days and counting . . . Was kind of nervous earlier today and a little depressed too but better now. Mostly I've felt hopeful. Just hoping it won't be too yucky feeling when it's done and that I can get back to "normal" quickly. I know, normal is a setting on a dryer!

Thanks for the kind wishes.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #9  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Everything went pretty well. Today's the first day I have to get out and it's going to be in the upper 90s here! But the car will have AC and I'll take a frozen bottle of water.

I'm relieved the surgery is past, though - very relieved!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 278.8/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad the surgery went well. I wish you a speedy recovery!
megmix is offline   Reply With Quote