General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default So how many of us married chicks are wedding ring-less?

I'm chatty today as I should be cleaning the house. I don't want to, so here I am.

I was looking at my hands after washing dishes and I realized how long it's been since I wore a ring on my wedding finger.

I got my wedding band enlarged TWO months before I started on this journey as I was tired of not being able to wear it, I was giving up hope of ever being able to wear it again (as I was feeling downright retched at the time - thanks to a faulty thyroid and I realized I would never drop the weight. Hah!). For years I had been wearing a different band in a size 8.5. I got my wedding ring from a size 7 to a size 9.

My hand is now smaller than a 7, so my wedding ring wouldn't have fit even if I hadn't gotten it sized up. AND I've been smaller than a size 7 for over a year now. NONE of my rings fit - thus the naked ring finger.

I didn't want to get any rings resized/redone until my weight stabilized and my finger size stabled. My fleshy part of my fingers are the largest part. (Except on one finger recently - I either developed some arthritis in that right middle finger or I injured the knuckle).

Anyway... I've been wearing NO RING on my wedding finger for over a year as nothing fits. Yet, I can still see a faint line from wearing it for over 18 years.

I can't be alone, right? How many of us are there and what have you done about the too big rings? Or plan to do? I didn't want to get thos plastic ring guards as that would just get all dirty and gross as I wouldn't remember to take it off. Plus, a gold ring wrapped in plastic is not my style.

berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Mine is two and a quarter sizes too bit, even 33 weeks pregnant! It falls off my finger when I wear it and I'm afraid to lose it, so we're sending it out for resizing shortly. Until then, I really don't wear it unless we're on a date or at church. The plastic spacers drive me nuts so I just have to be very, very careful!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Can't you use a ring guard in the meantime... before you eventually re-size it?
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

And yes, I'll probably need it resized again when I get down to goal. But I can't not wear it for a year, that would make me sad
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #5  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
Can't you use a ring guard in the meantime... before you eventually re-size it?
My hands are in and out of dough and water and scum and yuck day in and day out. A plain gold band never gets dirty. A ring guard would.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #6  

Before I started my new life and way of eating this past summer, I had to have surgery. I had never had surgery before, never had anesthesia, didn't know anything about it.

Then I found out...no jewelry allowed in the O/R! I was frantic wondering what I would do about my diamond and wedding bands, there was no way they'd be off in the 2 weeks I had to prepare for surgery.

I ordered a ring cutter off Amazon.com for like $7 not expecting much of it. Turns out, it was an amazing purchase and well worth the $7 to do it myself! The only thing is, I literally did it myself. When the delivery box came, my DH was at work and all of a sudden I had a panic feeling like I needed the rings off right this second and not a minute later. My cut wasn't the best but I got them off. But now they are a jumbled gold mess on the bands (they look gorgeous in the jeweler's box I have them in right now as you can't see the mangled mess!).

I'm so sad I did that to my rings but that was one of the defining moments that my life was out of control and changes had to be made. I have a permanent imprint on my hand where the band was so tight for a couple of years.

I want to go get the bands fixed and be able to wear them again but I am petrified to leave them with a jeweler. I know my ring has no sentimental value to anyone else but I'd die if anything happened to the stone (no idea why I am so paranoid, it's just like I don't want it out of my possession for one second...).

I have been wearing a ring from overstock.com that I got to wear to a wedding over the summer after cutting my rings off. Everyone thought I got an upgrade to my bands and I just let them think that. Pay no attention to the green finger I have under the band lol.

I wish I could find a jeweler that could do repairs while I wait. Does that even exist??

Can't wait to wear my rings again.

Great thread as usual, Melissa!

Last edited by elvislover324; 02-07-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: another typo
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #7  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
And yes, I'll probably need it resized again when I get down to goal. But I can't not wear it for a year, that would make me sad
It does make me sad! It even made me sad to wear the "alternative" ring because it wasn't MY wedding ring.

Now I have to decide if I want to have them cut it and reshape it or just sell the old one back for the gold and buy a new one - cutting rings make them weaker and the cost might not make sense.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never got my resized but it fell off on an airplane so I stopped wearing it after that. I did buy other rings just for fun, including a hello kitty ring. I figured it was fun to mix it up.

It doesn't make me sad not to be able to wear it other than it cost a pretty penny and a shame not to wear it. I guess I wore it for maybe a year before it fell off? so it wasn't like I was married for a long time and wore it for years.

I keep meaning to get it resized but then when I started weight training again, I stopped even wearing my fun rings because I would forget to wear any ring for days at a time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #9  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I've recently developed an allergy known as "wedding ring dermatitis" so no ring for me until it heals up and we can identify exactly what I'm allergic to. (Possible culprit is the nickel in white gold.)
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #10  
Skinny chick

I'm having kind of the opposite problem. My wedding rings were too small for me and could not be enlarged, so I went about 20 years without wearing them. Now that they fit me again, I find them very distracting. They're always catching my eye and drawing my attention to my hand since I'm not used to wearing them.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #11  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I got married back in 2010, so I'm still a newlywed, relatively speaking. When we went in to pick out the bridal set, they pulled out the sizing rings and told me I was a 9. Given that I was a 10 throughout high school and was only slightly smaller, it sounded right. We came back in to pick up the rings the next week, and they were sliding all over the place. When we brought them back to complain, we figured out that they'd accidentally given me the men's ring sizers! I didn't think there would be a difference, but apparently the width of the band can make or break the fitting. Anyway, we annoyingly had to have them sent back to get them sized to an 8. Hubby had a little bit of an issue sliding the ring over my finger for the ceremony though, as I was apparently a little swollen that day.

It was a few months back that I noticed they were getting uncomfortably loose, so I eventually switched them out to my middle finger. They won't even stay on my ring finger at this point, they just fall right off. I've thought about the ring "snuggies," but I don't think they'd work so well with the two rings worn together. I'm definitely not ready to resize them yet; the set has already gone through that twice. Since resizing too often can harm the settings I want to wait until I've decided on maintenance mode, which is at least a year and half out, if not more.

Right now I'm wearing a size 7 ring in its place. Here's a photo I took from a month ago when I was showing off my bracelet; you can see my engagement and wedding rings on my middle finger:

In case you can't tell, I like jewelry. And it feels good to be wearing some again; I'd lost interest in a lot of "pretty" things when I was heavier, I guess because I didn't feel worth it.

They're already starting to get loose, but they're not in danger of sliding off just yet. When they're too big for even my middle finger I'll probably pick up a special pendant like this one so I can wear them as a necklace until I'm comfortable with getting them resized one more time.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I haven't worn my rings in years since I got fat. It makes me sad. I never resized them because I just couldn't stand the thought.

Right now I wear an adjustable ring on that finger that says "Khaleesi," from Game of Thrones. I've been able to tighten it since losing weight since January! Fun to see my ring size go down! LOL!

I can't wait until my wedding rings can fit again. Sigh...
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
I've recently developed an allergy known as "wedding ring dermatitis" so no ring for me until it heals up and we can identify exactly what I'm allergic to. (Possible culprit is the nickel in white gold.)
My husband actually gave me a white gold ring when we started dating, after a few months of wearing it, I got dermatitis, presumably from the nickel. I was glad we found out then so that when we bought our wedding rings, we went with platinum.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #14  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I just recently had to take mine off, as it no longer will stay on even my largest finger (middle finger of my right hand). It's going to have to be re-sized but will have to wait until I'm done losing weight.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #15  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

We've been married 21+ years and I've worn the same bands all this time. I was thin when we got married, so there were some years where they have been very, very tight. They are antiques, and resizing them wasn't really an option, plus I didn't want to "commit" to the fact that I wasn't going to lose the weight. Ultimately, when no other trick in the book worked to get them on or off, it was among my last straws...

Anyway, they fit nicely again, and I love sliding them on and off -- a frequent reminder of where I've been and where I am now.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote