General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #1  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Angry Braces Again!!!! UGHHH!

So i just came back from the dentist and my he told me i got to wear braces for a 2ND TIME!. the last time i wore braces was 10 years when i was 15. i didn't wear my retainers so now im reaping the consequences.

anyone else here had to wear them for a 2nd time as an adult?
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/136

Height: 5"7

I never had braces when I was a child, but I want them now.
Ever since my wisdom teeth came through the teeth at the front have become crooked
I'm moving back to the UK so I have to wait to have them done.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having braces as an adult as our teeth move all the time apparently. Better a short time with braces than crooked teeth I think.
PinkWaterfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/207/135

Height: 5'6"

I never had braces as a kid, but decided 2 years ago to get them. It was one of the best things I have ever done. I feel like I have so much more confidence. I wanted to get the clear ones, but my ortho said those would not work, maybe they will for you.

Adult braces are not as uncommon as they once were.

Good luck.
jp4ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

No, but I still wear my retainers religiously (25 years after getting my braces removed!) I was warned that if I didn't wear my retainers my teeth would go back to how they were, and I never wanted to have braces again. I'm sorry you have to go through this! Maybe it won't be so bad this time around.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #5  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Is invisalign an option for you? My sister had very crooked teeth and did invisalign and now has a very nice smile. We used to call her snaggletooth they were so crooked. Two people I work with also have invisalign and are very satisfied with the process.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/150/138

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes dentists like to suggest work that isn't 100% necessary. Braces are mostly cosmetic so if you're satisfied with your teeth, then make up your own mind about getting braces again. Don't let your dentist pressure you into it.
Shrinkberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I agree with Shrinkberry...if it's strictly cosmetic and you have no issues with your teeth,don't get it done.What exactly did your dentist say btw?
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #8  

Yikes.. I had braces put on when I was 15 but my mother stopped taking me to the orthodontist. (I'm sure stories of my mentally ill alcoholic mom are on this site somewhere lol) and they stayed on until I was about 19 then I went to another orthodontist and paid out of pocket for care, and they were taken off when I was 22. My teeth that had the metal loops around them in the back were completely rotted away, and the roots to all my top teeth (I only had top bracres, was supposed to get bottom, but mom never did and I couldnt afford it when I was paying for it) anyway...top teeth roots were damage from having braces on for so many years without you know, ever being checked by a dentist. I was told I could not get braces again, because my teeth were loose. To this day, I can't bite into hard things like apples with my front teeth, because they move and it hurts. And to boot, my teeth aren't even that straight, since I opted to get the braces taken off at 22, as I just gave up on straight teeth and I just wanted them off at that point. I'd rather have crooked teeth than ever get braces again!! I did think about invisaline, but I think it would give me panic attacks! And I'm pretty sure that's still a no-no with my loose teeth. I'm not really supposed to aggravate them. I'd like to not have to get fake teeth in the near future.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 01-14-2013 at 06:44 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I had braces in high school and then because of the way my wisdom teeth came in during my early 20's my bite was a mess and I had to get them again when I was 26. I wasn't happy with the way they had moved so it was 100% worth it but I did feel like I had people asking me about it ALL the time.

I did the porcelain brackets on my front teeth and I would do that again as well!
GirlieJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I HATE retainers so I got the permanent one which is just a wire glued behind your teeth.

If you actually go through it again, I'd recommend that.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #11  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Never worn braces, I have had people ask if I have because my teeth appear to be so straight. But I do have an open bite. Just a small one my front teeth don't make contact. My dentist said if I get braces I will probably just push my teeth open again. I have a Kiss long tounge. I couldn't imagine having to wear braces multiple times. Do u absolutely need them?
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #12  

yeah i have the same expirence bt mine is worse my dentist told me that i should wear my brace a month before my weeding
Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #13  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Is invisalign an option for you? My sister had very crooked teeth and did invisalign and now has a very nice smile. We used to call her snaggletooth they were so crooked. Two people I work with also have invisalign and are very satisfied with the process.
my doctor said i could get them but it is no guarantee it would fix them problem with my overbite. he said even if it did it would take twice the amount to fix it. so i decided to go with ceramic braces which are like the metal ones but with clear brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkberry View Post
Sometimes dentists like to suggest work that isn't 100% necessary. Braces are mostly cosmetic so if you're satisfied with your teeth, then make up your own mind about getting braces again. Don't let your dentist pressure you into it.
my overbite is off and my bottom teeth look like a jungle lol. and im starting to look like a rabbit again with my 2 front teeth sticking out. i blame myself for not wearing my retainer.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #14  

Default Re: Braces - Tooth Decay Around Brace Brackets

I never had braces as a kid, but decided 2 years ago to get them. It was one of the best things I have ever done. I feel like I have so much more confidence. I wanted to get the clear ones, but my ortho said those would not work, maybe they will for you.
morgan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I had braces at a kid, but at the age where I was still losing teeth, so they had to take them off and put me in retainers for a bit, then I was supposed to get them back on. I was loosing retainers left and right (at $250 a pop) and eventually my parents gave up and I never got the braces back on. The worst of my issues (one tooth that grew in behind all the others) had already been fixed. But my teeth were still a little crowded, and got worse after my wisdom teeth came in.

I now have braces as an adult (they're due to be removed in December). I wanted invisalign, but after my consult with my orthodontist, determined that wouldn't do enough. I had two problems, crowded teeth and an open bite, which put pressure on my back teeth that can lead to them cracking later on (especially since I clench my teeth). I was presented with 3 options. Invisalign was the cheapest, but would only fix the crowding and not fix my open bite. Traditional braces were the medium option. And $20,000(!) jaw surgery was the "most effective" option.

Beyond being was over my budget, the jaw surgery would also be most invasive and painful. He told me he felt we could get close to those results with just the traditional braces and that's the route I chose. I did get the ceramic fronts, so they aren't as obvious as the all metal ones. It usually takes people about 5 minutes into a conversation to notice them.

To start, we had to put two screws in my jaw just above my teeth (not as painful as it sounds, but certainly not pleasant) and cement a plate to my back 3 teeth on each side. They ran chains from the plate up to the screws to pull my lower back teeth back up into my jaw. This was the worst part of the process. I got a lot of migranes, chewing food was difficult, flossing/cleaning was difficult, my speech was a little off (VERY off the first few days), and I just looked stupid because I couldn't close my mouth with this big plate in it. It was in for about 5 months and it did it's job, for the most part, my open bite was much smaller. After that, we put on the traditional braces to straighten my teeth and are using good ol' fashioned rubber bands to close my bite the rest of the way. The braces went on about a year ago and I have just a few months left. My bite is pretty much closed now and my teeth are almost straight.

As far as comments about a lot of orthodontics being purely cosmetic, I can say that while straightening my crooked teeth would by many be considered just cosmetic (even I thought so in setting out to do it), I do think it has effected my dental health. I used to have the hardest time keeping my teeth clean, especially those lower front ones. I had to buy my own little dental scraping instruments. With flossing, brushing and scraping off the excess plaque, there was still just constantly a build up on those teeth (and a lecture from the dentist). It is so much EASIER to keep them clean now that they are straight!

Last edited by Aclai4067; 09-14-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote