General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #1  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Default Fruits, Veggies and Garbage

I eat a lot of fruit and veggies everyday, but I always had issues with the garbage. Let me explain. Since there is only 2 of us in the house our tall kitchen garbage can last all week. As you can imagine throwing away orange peels and apple cores etc will make the garbage smell in a couple of days.

So I thought of an idea. I bought a very small garbage pail and I put those clear produce bags in them and throw away all of my leftover produce. It fits right on my kitchen counter. It takes me about 2 - 3 days to completely fill the bag and I just take the produce bag out and throw it away in the outside garbage pail. Problem solved!

Here's a pic for a visual:

I hope my tip helps someone!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

At this point, you're halfway to composting!
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide99 View Post
I eat a lot of fruit and veggies everyday, but I always had issues with the garbage. Let me explain. Since there is only 2 of us in the house our tall kitchen garbage can last all week. As you can imagine throwing away orange peels and apple cores etc will make the garbage smell in a couple of days.

So I thought of an idea. I bought a very small garbage pail and I put those clear produce bags in them and throw away all of my leftover produce. It fits right on my kitchen counter. It takes me about 2 - 3 days to completely fill the bag and I just take the produce bag out and throw it away in the outside garbage pail. Problem solved!

Here's a pic for a visual:

I hope my tip helps someone!
I have been doing this for years didn't know it was a good idea, just thought it was a way to get rid of the garbage.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #4  
Maintaining since 2013

Great tip misspixie!

98Days- I'm definitely going to research more about composting (I have never eaten this much fruits and vegetables in my life)!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have the exact same little trash can. I got it at Marshalls. The stuff I put in that can is for the compost. I have another container for whatever we think the chickens might like. The chickens get theirs every day. The compost goes out when full or when it stinks.

I also freeze my garbage. Meat wrappers and stuff like that stink and attract critters, so I freeze it until we go to the dump.

We are all just so smart, aren't we? The remains from all the healthy food is not going to discourage us, right? LOL!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I put a cardboard box in our trash can and put small bags on top so we use a full size kitchen trash can.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #7  
Maintaining since 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I have been doing this for years didn't know it was a good idea, just thought it was a way to get rid of the garbage.
Since doing this I've been saving money by not throwing away half empty tall kitchen bags anymore so it is good idea...for my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
We are all just so smart, aren't we? The remains from all the healthy food is not going to discourage us, right? LOL!
That made me smile.

Nelie that's a great tip. Thanks for sharing!