General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Pain in Upper Arm

I'm not sure what to make of this pain in my upper arm. It started out of the blue last Monday afternoon. I didn't do anything different at work, at home or during my workout (running on a treadmill). I never hit my arm on anything nor had any kids pull on it etc.

It hurts to lift my arm, move it backwards to take off a bra, pull a shirt over my head or reach across my chest to scratch my other shoulder. It hurts to carry things like groceries and aches when driving my car. Massage, warmth and muscle relaxer has not helped. Nor has time - it's now Friday evening. I can lay on my arm to sleep but movement makes it hurt and ache, mostly a deep deep ache.

Googling has led me to everything from a blood clot and fibromyalgia to tendonitis and carpal tunnel. Aleve helped a tiny bit, as does rest.

I'm not arthritic but it does run in my family. Could this be the start of it?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #2  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Sometimes, in my experience, when cold weather starts drifting in and you're above 25, stuff hurts just to hurt.

I would definately apply damp heat, though and check with your dr. Could be a stress fracture or even a torn muscle from overuse.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #3  
ugggg.....

I had to move a bunch of file folders from one cabinet to the other, repititious but I didnt think I did anything to overuse it...had a similar pain so I went to the chiropractor...he said I had a a frozen socket. He fixed me up and gave me some exercises to do..I agree with the over 25 thing,stuff hurts that never did before for no apparent reason...and it goes downhill from there
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

The Aleve seemed to help last evening and during the night. I feel alot better although not at 100% yet...Interestingly I can support my weight on my arm but it hurts to twist it and support things like carry a bag.

I went to a yoga class as planned this morning and it didn't bother my arm much. I modified a few poses where you twist your arm behind you but other than that, I felt fine.

Will take a few more Aleve today...
Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

This reminds me of when I had a pulled muscle in my shoulder. It hurt so bad it took me 20 mins to roll over onto it (it was fine once I was laying on that arm, just getting there was awful. Time and aleve and some shoulder strengthening exerciese are what fixed it. It took about 2 weeks for me.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Is it in both arms? or just one arm? Is it in your dominant arm? I find that I tend to get a little bit more sore in my dominant arm... without even realizing it... but I don't really notice it until later... I have some shoulder issues from swimming that were on my dominate side, but I also tend to breathe on that side as well when I'm swimming so it turned out to be a combo of receptive stress, biomechanics, and my form...

But I've also had issues on my non-dominant side (for me, my weaker side) from lifting weights with those "pec-dec" type machines too...

If it keeps up or gets worse... I would probably get it checked out to make sure it's nothing serious like some of the things that you mentioned though....
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #7  
Warrior Princess

You're young, I'd say it's nothing major and will go away in a few days. Don't Google unless you want to give yourself unnecessary anxiety.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Is it in both arms? or just one arm? Is it in your dominant arm? I find that I tend to get a little bit more sore in my dominant arm... without even realizing it... but I don't really notice it until later... I have some shoulder issues from swimming that were on my dominate side, but I also tend to breathe on that side as well when I'm swimming so it turned out to be a combo of receptive stress, biomechanics, and my form...

But I've also had issues on my non-dominant side (for me, my weaker side) from lifting weights with those "pec-dec" type machines too...

If it keeps up or gets worse... I would probably get it checked out to make sure it's nothing serious like some of the things that you mentioned though....
It's in my left arm only and both arms are nearly equally dominant, with my right arm MAYBE a slight bit more dominant. It has subsided with Aleve and I'm hoping it's fading away, and not just being masked by the medication.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #9  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
It's in my left arm only and both arms are nearly equally dominant, with my right arm MAYBE a slight bit more dominant. It has subsided with Aleve and I'm hoping it's fading away, and not just being masked by the medication.
That's good that it's subsiding... If an NSAID like Aleve is helping... that sounds like it could have possibly been something musculoskeletal... Maybe it was from a slight biomechanical imbalance on that side during one of your runs or workouts that you didn't even realize... I have had things like that happen to me, even while running on treadmill. If I start playing around with my pace or intervals, etc. the change in my stride and form can cause some new aches and pains that aren't always bilateral...

I'm glad to hear that it sounds like it's feeling a little bit better... But if it's still bothering you after a week than it might hurt to get it checked out...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 11-24-2012 at 09:07 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote