3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   What makes some people crave.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/268616-what-makes-some-people-crave.html)

tschaff04 10-23-2012 03:00 PM

What makes some people crave....

SWEEEEETS!!!

All my life(as much as I can remember) I have craved all things sweet. I have a sweet tooth that could kill a dentist. lol Idk why, it's just always been that way. My husband on the other hand isn't a huge fan of sweets. He likes them but he doesn't go crazy about them.

So what causes it? Why do some people ravenously crave sweets and others don't care for them? :dizzy:

tschaff04 10-23-2012 06:12 PM

Am I the only one!? lol

serendipity907 10-23-2012 06:19 PM

I hear you! My sweet tooth is out of control, and it definitely gets worse the more sugar I have, which makes it even harder to then reduce it.

I do occasionally crave savory foods but I can nearly always talk myself out of it or just make a healthier version. The 'healthier' desserts and things just don't do it for me!

PrincessAmy 10-23-2012 06:41 PM

you are not alone! i kill for sweets..and i have no idea why :/

tschaff04 10-23-2012 07:03 PM

Yes!! I do love fruit so I try to go for that but if I really have a sweet craving I can't find some healthy alternative. It doesn't do it. It has to be sweet and oh so bad for me. :/ And you are right, if I indulge I crave it even more. Ahh!

kelleyb 10-23-2012 07:10 PM

Yes- I'm in this with you.... ha ha!

Eating sugar makes me crave more sugar, sometimes strenuous workouts start my cravings, knowing that something good is around, weekends, the day after a party, etc.

kaplods 10-23-2012 07:24 PM

Books that explain the sweet tooth phenomenon quite well in are the low-carb and paleo books in general, and in particular the book, "The End of Overeating," by David Kessler.

Another awesome book is "The End of Overeating," by Barbara Berkely. It indirectly deals with carb-cravings, but it's main selling point is that it is focused on maintainance, rather than weight loss (one of the very few books focusing on maintenace). It's helpful for all readers though, as it helped me see ALL weight loss as weight maintenance, because the work of maintenance begins with the very first pound. I have maintained a 105 lb loss, and when I lose the next pound I will be maintaining 106 lbs. By focusing on weight maintenance from the beginning, I don't have to worry about backsliding.

tschaff04 10-23-2012 08:47 PM

It makes sense, Kaplods. I tend to crave really carby food too. It's like a vicious cycle for me. I crave all these things that will lead me to gain massive weight.

kelly315 10-24-2012 07:31 AM

In my experience, the more sugar or refined flour I eat, the more I crave sweets. When I'm not really eating those things, I stop craving them pretty quickly.

Vex 10-24-2012 08:36 AM

re:

Yes, I used to be a crazy sweets person. I could eat an entire bag of candy by myself. I really think that the more you eat, the more you crave. I don't have those same types of cravings now. Sugar really is a drug imo.

NYFLAgirl 10-24-2012 09:19 AM

I find this interesting-as someone that does not crave sweets at all. BUT I will occasionally have a craving for something sweet if I give into my own cravings of really carb heavy foods like pizza or a cheeseburger-which Kelly315 mentioned as well.

I feel for you ladies-although I have my own demons when it comes to cravings, I'm very lucky I don't have a sweet tooth because I know how bad it can be.

Kopuiylopiu 10-25-2012 02:57 PM

I love cupcakes. I mean LOVE. I could eat cupcakes for every meal, every day and NEVER get sick of them. Any kind of cakes honestly. My new diet says no to them so I feel like I lost my best friend (As sad as that sounds). I definitely have a huge sweet tooth.

joefla70 10-25-2012 03:20 PM

I've never had a sweet tooth. Unfortunately, however, I have a junk-food tooth -- if there is such a thing!

novangel 10-25-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYFLAgirl (Post 4507374)
I find this interesting-as someone that does not crave sweets at all. BUT I will occasionally having a craving for something sweet if I give into my own cravings of really carb heavy foods like pizza or a cheeseburger-which Kelly315 mentioned as well.

I feel for you ladies-although I have my own demons when it comes to cravings, I'm very lucky I don't have a sweet tooth because I know how bad it can be.

Same here, thankfully I never had a sweet tooth.

Miss Health 10-27-2012 01:03 AM

Do you have Thrush/ Candida? That makes you crave sugar, and MADLY. Try checking with your doctor and perhaps doing a herbal fungal detox.

Honestly, I used to be able to eat about 3 blocks of chocolate at once without feeling sick.