General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #16  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
While I do not necessarily think it is the governments place to tell people what they can and cannot eat, I WOULD like to see them ban ll junk food and soda being purchased by people who utilize food stamps and state health care. If we, the tax payers, are paying for their food and medical care, hece obeisty related illnesses, I think that the government could impose limits on what types of food can be purchased.
I don't disagree with that in theory, but have you priced out processed foods vs. fresh foods lately? It is a LOT cheaper to buy a box of macaroni and cheese or a meal in a bag than it is to buy fresh vegetables and meat and make a healthy meal. Processed foods, which are nearly all unhealthy, are unbelievably cheap. As are fast foods. Fresh vegetables and meats, and even frozen unprocessed vegetables and meats, are quite expensive in comparison. To tell a person in poverty that they have to buy foods that cost 10X more, we're either furthering their poverty or we have to make up the difference in how much we're willing to allocate to food stamps. I don't know what the solution is, but one thing that would really help is if healthy food became more affordable. I think people would choose it more then.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #17  
Just watch me ...

I like the commercials that demonstrate the amount of sugar we consume if we drink sodas. As they say, a picture says a thousand words, and it's effective for those who are ready for the message.

What I find really funny is how crazy people are getting over this jumbo-soda ban. Like they did when it came to no texting while driving, etc. Like silly teenagers instead of adults. 'It's my right to ______' I don't think purchasing a humongous soda is really a 'right'.

If huge sodas are banned, soda drinkers will just buy more of whatever they want. And, maybe if the humongous soda size is banned, there won't be a super-humongous next year.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I feel that if people want to drink that then that is their choice.. the mayor has no right to ban proportion sizes. I personally don't drink that because of my diet. But if other people want to then that is their choice.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I don't disagree with that in theory, but have you priced out processed foods vs. fresh foods lately? It is a LOT cheaper to buy a box of macaroni and cheese or a meal in a bag than it is to buy fresh vegetables and meat and make a healthy meal. Processed foods, which are nearly all unhealthy, are unbelievably cheap. As are fast foods. Fresh vegetables and meats, and even frozen unprocessed vegetables and meats, are quite expensive in comparison. To tell a person in poverty that they have to buy foods that cost 10X more, we're either furthering their poverty or we have to make up the difference in how much we're willing to allocate to food stamps. I don't know what the solution is, but one thing that would really help is if healthy food became more affordable. I think people would choose it more then.
I totally agree with you.. I am a collage student (With no job at the moment) and buying 'bad' food is a LOT cheaper then going out and buying fresh veggies and stuff.. They need to find a way to make fresh fruits and stuff cheaper if the government or whoever want America to be healthier. Make the fast food more pricey and the healthy stuff cheap.. What do you think people would buy then.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #20  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Sure. Right after they ban super-sized fries. There are lots of foods that are not so good for us, especially in big quantities. Where does it end? I think the government needs to stay out of this one.
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #21  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

IMHO, pop size, fries size and in general main street restaurant portions are way too large. Bigger is not always better. -- I agree that restaurants should add calorie labels to their menus. Whopper should come with a warning label like cigarets

As for NYC. I really don't see any harm banning 32 oz "size".

Last edited by Sum38; 06-08-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
.+03

As for NYC. I really don't see any harm banning 32 oz "size".
If they ban that.. Then how far will they go.. If they think they can start banning that kind of stuff where will it end?

I dont think the government or anyone should have the right to ban anything from us. We are a free country.. at what point (When they start banning stuff) will we go from being a free country to not free.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 231/162/165

Height: 6'

I am on the fence. The fact is the size of a bottle of soda has grown exponentially. There are bout two servings in many bottles of juice and soda masquerading as one serving. No one needs that much soda or juice in one shot. In 1980, the standard bottle size was not 20 ounces like it is now. I would rather out elected policy makers attempt to set limits which they do which is why we have the FDA, then leave it to corps. who care little about the health of their customers and are after the bottom line. We go on and on about personal responsibility but I believe a community (a community where the majority are overweight)that does not look out for one another in pretty barren.

Bloomberg's plan lacks consistency. If one can still order a venti frappacino from Starbucks,then why i s soda and juice picked out. That is my main problem,. It is clear from studies that sugary drinks are the biggest culprit of obesity in our country'
daniprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #24  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Sugar is VERY harmful. Equally addicting as some of hardcore drugs; which gov. has banned
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 163.2/143.6/120

I believe adults should have their freedom to choose whether or not to buy a 32 oz drink. (Will this also include alcohol or sugary candy that comes in large sizes? Why only focus on a 32 oz sugary drink? ) Maybe control it to persons over the age of 18 and ID if needed but the whole thing sounds ridiculous to me. What will be the next thing the government will take away or control us in some way? Why did the government allow the companies to create these large sizes in the first place and put blame on the consumers?
Eliza31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #26  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

The funny thing is, if I remember reading the article correctly, the ban does not include alcohol or things like milkshakes, smoothies, and juice beverages. So okay, I can't buy a 32oz soda but I can get a giant milkshake or margarita, which has just as many (if not more) calories than a giant soda? What sense does that make?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 167/159/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrongirl View Post
We can only do so much in regards to education.

I was raised a vegetarian and extremely healthy. Hardly any junk food and lots of fresh fruit & vegetables. My mother has never had a weight problem.

But I ended up eating meat and gaining weight in my 20's. And eating junk food. Although I knew better.

I am from a country with free health care and the taxes on cigarettes, alcohol and junk food are insane.

I honestly believe people need to be educated, sure, but not mollycoddled. Let them make their own decisions and suffer the consequences.
This, exactly.

There are any number of legal drugs out there that cause side effects ten times worse than the conditions/symptoms they're supposed to treat...the government has NO PROBLEM approving those in a snap, but they want to get all up in people's faces about a 32 oz soda?
Taheetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post

Right now there are these hilarious commercials (if you live in my area then you know what I'm talking about) that compare drinking soft drinks to eating packets of sugar. I'm not sure they'll help or if this ban will—after all, putting calorie counts on the menu hasn't been shown to change food choices—but maybe it'll make people aware of what they're putting into their bodies.
We have the commercials in Nashville too, so I think that's nation-wide.

While I appreciate that the government in NYC is trying to make a difference and do SOMETHING about obesity, I just don't think it will work. You can't force people to change their lifestyle. And limiting people to less-large sodas, while within the city limits, isn't going to make a significant impact.

I also wouldn't be entirely shocked if manufacturers started producing 31 oz cups, so you can get the maximum possible under the law.

ETA- I do like the idea of having companies put calories on the menu. It may not change the minds of those who aren't ready to change, but it's immensely helpful for those trying to do better. Not nearly enough places around here do that.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 06-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #29  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
A more effective solution would be for insurance companies to raise their premiums for obese people and smokers, as they generate more lifetime claims. These expenses are disproportionately covered by the ones who take care of themselves.
LOL! I hear this arguement a lot but I can't see obesity costing more than mental health treatment, STD treatments, pregnancies with complications, and nowhere near what a round of cancer will cost(one round of chemo is thousands of dollars). EVERYONE takes a great toll on the health care system and everyone wants to think it's not them, and it might not be until they need an appendix removed or find that new mole. Are we going to up their cost b/c someone forgot their sunscreen? People perceive weight as choice(and for a large part it is) but we all make choices/have oversights that may or may not be beneficial to our overall health.

I think people need more education and for health lifestyles modeled in a way that appears attainable. They had me when they required calorie counts on menus but this soda legislation is hand-holding and I think New York probably has bigger problems. It's gone from information campaigning to forcing people to conform to an ideal, there is no motivation for learning better habits in that.

At some point, we'll also need to respect the rights of others. You might not like their body weight but that doesn't mean you get to dictate what they are allowed to eat. If you saw a thin person walking down the street, you shouldn't get to cram a high calorie meal in their mouths, why do people feel like they should be allowed to dictate health choices other people b/c they don't like their fat?

Last edited by 4star; 06-10-2012 at 08:12 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #30  
Warrior Princess

Pointless. People will just buy 4 8oz bottles to keep their habit. I was never a soda drinker so I could never understand this "addiction" it's awful for your teeth (I've seen the damage first hand since I work in dentistry) and a one-way ticket to a UTI for me. If a pack of cigarettes became 10 in a pack instead of 20 people will just buy more packs...but they tax cigarette's to death, maybe they should consider the same with soda.

I agree with whoever said raise obese people's insurance premiums just as they do with smokers. Problem solved.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote