General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 200/182/130

Height: 5"2

I've been trying to read "The Tiger's Wife" by Tea Obreht for months and now that I finally have some time to myself, I've been able to crack that baby open!
Daisy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I just got back from Ireland and managed quite a bit of reading on the bus and plane rides. I read Hot Pursuit by Suzanne Brockmann which makes me only one book behind in the series. I want to finish that series and move on to her new paranormal one.

Even more fun, given where I was: Ireland Awakening by Edward Rutherfurd. It's a huge book, with a different title in the US: The Rebels of Ireland: The Dublin Saga. It's a 900 page multi-generational, multi-family historical that runs from the Reformation through the 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin. It's actually the second novel -- the first covers earlier history in Ireland. Now, I want to read that one, too. I actually had both checked out from the library before my trip, but they seemed too long. Of course, a chunkster like that was just perfect for the seven and a half hour plane trip from Dublin to Chicago.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Read a couple of good ones back to back:

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn is now 3 for 3 me (loved her previous 2 books).

Let's Pretend This Never Happened - a few laugh out loud funny bits
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #19  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

Just started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Read a couple of good ones back to back:

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn is now 3 for 3 me (loved her previous 2 books).

Let's Pretend This Never Happened - a few laugh out loud funny bits
I may have to look into these. I liked Gillian Flynn's Dark Places, and Jenny Lawson's blog is hilarious. My favorite was when she got the new kitten--Bob Barker (the photo showed his "flat tires" because he's polydactyl).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #21  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Just finished up The Hunger Games series. They were good - really liked the second book. Third book seemed very long to me and didn't care for the very ending of it, I felt short-changed.

Just started Left Behind by by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. This is one of many that I downloaded for free for Kindle Fire from Amazon. Synopsis (from Amazon): An airborne Boeing 747 is headed to London when, without any warning, passengers mysteriously disappear from their seats. Terror and chaos slowly spread not only through the plane but also worldwide as unusual events continue to unfold. For those who have been left behind, the apocalypse has just begun.

So far, so good. Not great but easy reading and unusual story that's keeping me interested.

Oh, apparently it's part of a series. Didn't realize that.

edit: ok so it's part of a 12 book series. lol It's about the Rapture - that's not what I thought it would be about from the description I posted above. It was a free Kindle download but they have the books for adults and kids. I'm wondering if I got the kid version because I just went to the library and borrowed the second book, which is pretty thick (like Harry Potter thick), 500 pages or so.

Last edited by loose seal; 06-27-2012 at 04:06 PM.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #22  

The Survivor's Club by Lisa Gardner. It's really good, but then she's one of my favorite authors.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 245/242/155

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain. Recommended by a friend, seems good so far.
cinderelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #24  
Fatty-atty-umpkin

Height: 5'4"

Trying to finish reading Fifty Shades of Grey... ughhh. Check out my blog for what I think about it.
kc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc82 View Post
Trying to finish reading Fifty Shades of Grey... ughhh. Check out my blog for what I think about it.
Love the blog post! Second the thoughts on the book, although I didn't have a hard time getting through it.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Yes, Rebelle, 50 Shades is a trilogy. I just started the 3rd book two nights ago. It's entertaining, but also cheesy.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #27  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

took a break from the outlander series (3 books in) to read the first 10 books of the anita blake series, some random historical romantic comedy by lynsay sands, and now i'm reading the masters of time series... i also have 50 shades of gray sitting there waiting for me to read, but i've heard so many bad reviews i'm not sure i want to. but my mother, and my mother in law, both said "you should read this!"...
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote