General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I would say that HPV is one of the more optional vaccinations but they have proven HPV can cause cancer. The vaccines cover the most frequent kinds of HPV that causes cancer.

These are a couple good reads about it
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV
http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/cancer.html
Thank you! I hate to see mis-information about this.
3 years ago I had to go through treatment for stage 3 pre-cancer (carcinoma-in-situ) of the vulva related to HPV. I was lucky. I got to keep most of my vulva.
Just this week I was told there was a good chance I had tongue cancer. I was facing the thoughts of losing part or ALL of my tongue. Having to live with a feeding tube and speaking through a stoma. This morning I got the WONDERFUL news that they do not think I have tongue cancer (though I still have months of testing ahead to be sure). It's predicted that by the end of the decade, HPV will be THE leading cause of oral cancers, rather than smoking. Oral cancers have skyrocketed 277% since the late 1980s due to HPV.

I have a son and a daughter. I am VERY leery of new vaccines and I vaccinated both on an alternative schedule to minimize the amounts of CRAP they were exposed to in vaccines. I was waffling about the HPV vaccine but after the week I've had, YES,I will get my children vaccinated.
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I chose not to get the HPV vaccine, and now that I am 26 I'm aging out of the ideal vaccination window. I am NOT a vaccine denier, but I am married and my husband and I do not have HPV. I hope that by the time I have children the HPV vaccine will have a longer history of efficacy and if so I will have my children vaccinated on whatever the recommended schedule is.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 235/149/135

Height: 5'5

I took the HPV vaccine and I am glad I did. I understand the paranoia about vaccines, but I think that it is unmerited.
elleohelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #34  
Stevia Nicks

S/C/G: HW334/SW314/CW304/GW170

Height: 5'11"

I also had stage 3 pre-cancer related to HPV. You can bet your sweet lady bits I got my daughter vaccinated.
Luceia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Yes, they have proven that HPV causes cervical cancer. When they came out with the vaccine, I had my daughter get it, but we discussed it first and she agreed.

It's such a shame that the DPT vaccine damaged so many young ones. I have a neighbor who remembers to the moment when her son seized shortly after receiving this vaccine. He became autistic after that.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #36  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

I plan on getting it.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #37  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
Yes, they have proven that HPV causes cervical cancer. When they came out with the vaccine, I had my daughter get it, but we discussed it first and she agreed.

It's such a shame that the DPT vaccine damaged so many young ones. I have a neighbor who remembers to the moment when her son seized shortly after receiving this vaccine. He became autistic after that.
Autism isn't caused by vaccinations. That was debunked many years ago, including the scientist who started it saying that he fabricated his findings. It just do happens that autism tends to appear around the same age that children gets diagnosed.

Also, the DTP vaccine has been reworked a few times since it came out in the 40s. I did a research paper on the P in DTP and that alone (whooping cough) is highly contagious and can cause many infant deaths, even with proper treatment and medical care. So it is a trade off to risk some of the rare, serious side effects of vaccines or be exposed to highly contagious things that can kill you or those you come into contact. With so many people jumping on the anti-vacc bandwagon, the herd protection is starting to deteriorate. Babies and young children are generally the most susceptible.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #38  
threenorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Autism isn't caused by vaccinations. That was debunked many years ago, including the scientist who started it saying that he fabricated his findings. It just do happens that autism tends to appear around the same age that children gets diagnosed.

Also, the DTP vaccine has been reworked a few times since it came out in the 40s. I did a research paper on the P in DTP and that alone (whooping cough) is highly contagious and can cause many infant deaths, even with proper treatment and medical care. So it is a trade off to risk some of the rare, serious side effects of vaccines or be exposed to highly contagious things that can kill you or those you come into contact. With so many people jumping on the anti-vacc bandwagon, the herd protection is starting to deteriorate. Babies and young children are generally the most susceptible.

first off: the doctor who detected the link and was subsequently excoriated by the British Medical Journal has been vindicated - he was found to be the subject of a witch hunt by a journalist, name of Deer, who was commissioned by the British medical association specifically to discredit Dr Wakefield.

article here: http://www.politicolnews.com/new-201...-mmr-vaccines/

Quote:
New American Studies today in February 2011 conducted by a team of doctors at Wake Forest University School in the state of North Carolina studied and tested over 275 children a much larger study than Dr. Wakefield.

The discovery of the Forest University backs up Dr. Wakefield’s reports of a bowel disease where out of 82 of the children 70 of them tested positive for the measles virus.

A spokesman Dr. Stephen Walker states that from the results all of the research points to a vaccine strain of the virus (that which is injected into children) not another typical strain of measles found naturally from child to child type introductions.

The research these doctors undertook, proves that in the intestines of children or the gastro-intestinal tracts of those who have been diagnosed with autism the children were found to have the measles viruses from the vaccine they were given in their gut.

Read more: http://www.politicolnews.com/new-201...#ixzz1t6P4AxiW

secondly, more and more doctors are questioning the validity of vaccinating infants, given that it's a known fact that they don't actually HAVE a functioning immune system until about 1yr of age. this is one of the reasons why breastfeeding is of such critical importance: their immunity comes from the antibodies tailored to the baby by the mother's body.

fun fact: if the baby is exposed to a pathogen, the mother's body will generate antibodies even if she, herself, has not been exposed (let's say the baby is at day care all day). the pathogen is excreted in the baby's saliva, which is detected by glands in the aureola, which in turn triggers the mother's immune system to create antibodies.

another fun fact: if a baby needs a heart transplant, they try like anything to get it done before the age of one year. reason is, if the heart transplant is done before the immune system kicks online, the baby will never need anti-rejection drugs ****and the heart doesn't need to be a tissue match***. when the immune system kicks online, the baby's immune system will register the mismatched heart as belonging to the body - wrong tissue type and all.

as for whooping cough, you might want to read these numbers:

Quote:
In a recent British outbreak of whooping cough, for example, even fully vaccinated children contracted the disease in substantial numbers, and the rate of serious or fatal complications was reduced only slightly. [note 5] In another pertussis outbreak, 46 of the 85 fully vaccinated kids studied eventually came down with the disease. [note 6] In 1977, 34 cases of measles were reported on the campus of UCLA in a student population that was 91% “immune,” according to careful serological testing. [note 7] In Pecos, New Mexico, during a period of a few months in 1981, 15 out of 20 reported cases of measles had been vaccinated, some of them quite recently. [note 8] A recent survey of sixth-graders in a fully-vaccinated urban community demonstrated that about 15% of this age group are still susceptible to rubella, a figure essentially identical with that of the pre-vaccine era. [note 9] Finallly, although the yearly incidence of measles in the U. S. has fallen sharply from about 400,000 cases in the early 1960′s to about 30,000 cases by 1974-76, the death rate remained exactly the same; [note 10] and, with the peak incidence now in adolescents and young adults, the risk of pneumonia and liver enzyme abnormalities has risen to 3% and 20%, respectively. [note 11]
from http://vran.org/about-vaccines/gener...-immunizatons/

i cannot prove her massive reaction to vaccination caused my oldest daughter's asperger's syndrome - but nobody can prove it didn't, either, and i prefer to err on the side of caution which is why my daughter doesn't get vaccinated any more. even my dog is allergic to vaccination - on his second shot, he ended up with a bald spot around the injection site with the skin all pink and crispy looking !

do i care if my daughter gets sick with one of those diseases? i'll take the statistically *****miniscule**** chance that she will suffer lifelong consquences or even death over the, in my experience, near certainty that she will have an adverse vaccine reaction any day.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-25-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #39  
Just Me

This is actually a pretty good article talking about the review of studies that have tried to link autism and vaccination:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/health/26vaccine.html

As for Whooping Cough, the primary cause of it in infants is adults and other children in the same household. So its not necessarily that the baby has to be vaccinated but it is recommended that other household members are vaccinated. It is part of the herd mentality where when most of the population is vaccinated, then you get a decent amount of protection to those that are unvaccinated.

FYI - that article was published in the early 80s. The Pertussis vaccine has been updated a couple times since then as well as the immunization schedule. From when I did my research, the Pertussis vaccine is highly effective when the vaccination schedule is followed (it varies by age/previous vaccinations) and although you still can get whooping cough, it is generally shorter and less severe.

(And I know we have gotten off topic but my main point was that there have been some issues with vaccines in the past, they do get updated based on current research and it is good to know that not everything is cut and dry regarding dangers of vaccines)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #40  
threenorns

the problem is, they still cannot prove that vaccination works. there is no way to prove it - the huge die-off of measles and smallpox that is attributed to vaccination cannot be verified: it was already on its way out when vaccination was introduced and after public sewage and water treatment was begun and rates have not improved in developing countries except in places where sanitation has improved. 93%+ of australians get the flu vaccine, yet the death rate is unchanged from before it was invented. how is it working? apparently not very well. the chicken pox vaccine - designed to save the 2 or 3 kids that die in *north america* each year from chicken pox - has created a nightmare of a shingles outbreak. shingles used to be a disease of old people, yet now young children are getting it.

as for improving vaccines - how? have you read the list of ingredients in this stuff?

from http://www.novaccine.com/vaccine-ingredients/

okay, let's look at the ingredients for the HPV vaccine:

Quote:
In the News: GARDASIL VACCINE NOT PROVEN SAFE
"Merck and the FDA have not been completely honest with the people about the pre-licensure clinical trials," said NVIC president Barbara Loe Fisher. "Merck's pre and post-licensure marketing strategy has positioned mass use of this vaccine by pre-teens as a morality play in order to avoid talking about the flawed science they used to get it licensed. This is not just about teenagers having sex, it is also about whether Gardasil has been proven safe and effective for little girls."
Quote:
Recommendations 3 intramuscular injections at 0, 2, 6 months -- as young as 9 years old to 26 years old
Ingredients Polysorbate 80, Sodium chloride, Sodium Borate, L-histidine hydrochloride, Aluminum hydroxyphosphate sulfate, Virus: Human papillomavirus (denatured) (HPV).
an interesting paper on the inter-reaction of polysorbate-80 and L-Histidine (Gardasil is the first vaccine to use Histidine): http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/janak/080830

sodium borate: trade name is borax. it's acidic, used to kill cockroaches by eating through their carapace. that's something i want injected into my daughter's veins.

sodium chloride: table salt (just to make it feel better)

aluminum hydroxyphosphate sulphate:
Quote:
a newborn who gets a Hepatitis B injection on day one of life would receive 250 mcg of aluminum. This would be repeated at one month with the next Hep B shot. When, at two months, a baby gets its first big round of shots, the total dose of aluminum could vary from 295 mcg to a whopping 1225 mcg . These doses are repeated at four and six months. With most subsequent rounds of shots, a child would continue to get some aluminum throughout the first two years. But the FDA recommends that premature babies, and anyone with impaired kidney function, receive no more than 10 to 25 mcg of injected aluminum at any one time."
and now they want to add gardasil to the mix!

i don't care what they say: i'm trusting a healthy diet and my daughter's own immune system to do the job nature designed - and that wasn't to fight off 3 to 6 illnesses directly injected into her bloodstream all at the same time.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-25-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #41  
Just Me

And obviously we are having a discussion because people have different views about vaccines. I personally think that the benefits of vaccines outweigh the risks which is why I get vaccinated and continue to get vaccinated.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #42  

Height: 165 cm (5'5'')

I received the HPV vaccine when I was in my final years of high school, and I have been vaccinated according to government health guidelines (Australia) for my entire life. These guidelines are fairly strict in regards to the amount of time that must be left between vaccine doses, the age and weight of the child being vaccinated and also takes into account the mothers vaccination history. (particularly when dealing with infants,e.g. I was refused a rebella vaccine untill I was 16 because of my mothers history, when I got it no harm).

Yes, I am pro vaccination. I don't subscribe to the "vaccinations cause autism". I do agree with parents and guardians being informed of the risks associated with vaccines. If I ever have children then I intend to have them vaccinated.

I don't want to be in a position where children or adults are dieing from diseases that can be prevented.

My last point will probably annoy some of you:
I have a problem with parents that refuse to vaccinate (by choice), their child contracts a preventable disease and then passes that disease on to a baby (who is too young to be vaccinated) who later dies. Your actions have consequences, not only in your own lives, but also in other peoples. I couldn't ever live with the guilt that my choice had caused another family to lose a baby.If you choose not to vaccinate your child, I believe that you need to take responsibility for your decision and you may need to segregate that child from particularly vulnerable members of the community.i.e. the very old and the very young.
Alwaysbeenbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #43  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I think what's most important with decisions like vaccinate/don't vaccinate is the risk/benefit analysis that a person does after they have been fully informed.

Vaccines can be very useful but also can cause some serious side effects. A lot of times people get vaccinated and do fine but some people have met serious injury and death from being vaccinated also. It's important to know and weigh those risks.

Please remember to make your own decision based on good medical information and your Doc's opinion, not b/c someone on the internets said it would all be fine and dandy.

Last edited by 4star; 04-26-2012 at 09:46 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #44  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Walking outside can be very relaxing but also can cause some serious side effects. A lot of times people just walk around and do fine but some people have been struck by lightning and met serious injury or death. It's important to know and weigh those risks.

(I mean that with all good humor, I promise. But yes, I'm strongly pro-vacc.)

Last edited by sumire; 04-26-2012 at 08:22 AM.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #45  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I'm strongly anti-vaccine. I believe in keeping the body clean - as clean as possible - for as long as possible. And I believe it is harder & harder to do these days, with the many ways they "preserve" so many of our foods, and so many additives, and yaddayaddayadda.

I don't like the idea of putting "chemicals" into my body unnecessarily. Yes, of course I have had vaccines in the past; as a child of the 60's, I had to get all those shots before entering school, etc. And I had the flu vaccine ONCE about 15 years ago... it made me SO SICK! - sicker than any flu bug I've ever had!! - & I swore I'd never get it again.

The fact is nobody knows WHAT causes any type of cancer. You can say smoking causes lung cancer - but does it? What of those people who never smoked a day in their life? What of those people who smoked all their life & NEVER got cancer? What about women who get breast cancer who have shown no cancer in their family line? Or those who don't get it even tho their mothers, grandmothers, siblings, etc might have that "gene"?? I think a lot of cancers are caused by many different factors; not just one or two. Maybe those who smoke like a chimney (my mother) & don't get lung cancer is because they ALWAYS ate a small onion with their dinner, and drank buttermilk before bedtime and happened to have AB+ blood type, & was raised on a farm as opposed to a city-raised person who never ate onions or drank buttermilk & was O- blood type... I mean who knows, ya know? They can speculate about what causes certain diseases & so forth, or what PREVENTS certain ones, etc, but until they can PROVE that something "CAUSES" the cancer, then I'm not buying into the "medicated" prevention.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 04-26-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote