3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Extreme dieting with feeding tube and no food (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/257050-extreme-dieting-feeding-tube-no-food.html)

fitness4life 04-16-2012 09:17 AM

Extreme dieting with feeding tube and no food

Have you seen this? A feeding tube through the nose 24/7 for ten days gives 800 well balanced calories for rapid weight loss.

I can't believe doctors would actually do this for people.

The lost weight is mostly water and muscle mass. NOT the right kind of weight loss! And most definitely a guarantee to lead to weight gain after treatment.

Then there's the side effects - stomach ulcers, constipation, amongst other things.

Why do people continue to think the quick fix for weight loss is a good thing??

ARG!

What do you think?

MamaBravo 04-16-2012 09:26 AM

I heard about this on the radio this morning.
Aparently its the new quick fix diet.

Can I just say Ugg..

sontaikle 04-16-2012 09:26 AM

It just goes to show how desperate people are to lose weight.

bargoo 04-16-2012 09:58 AM

Now that is crazy. I have had to have a tube in my nose for complications after surgery. Let me tell you it is a gross, unpleasant thing to have done to you. No, thank you I will lose weight the old fashioned way, diet and exercise.

XLMuffnTop 04-16-2012 10:03 AM

Uh, I'm good with my 20 lbs in two months. Not exactly fast at my weight but at least I don't have nasty side effects unless you consider my pants falling off my butt nasty :lol:

Goody3shoes 04-16-2012 10:38 AM

There are some crazy diet fads out there. But this one sounds really uncomfortable. You shouldn't have to be hospitalized to lose weight cause that's insane. It's like the sleeping beauty diet, they put ppl into medically induced comas because if they're unconscious they can't eat.
I think the sex diet is interesting, when your hungry instead of eating have sex!
Breatharianism is a diet religion that says people don't need food to survive.
And what about the tapeworm diet from a few decades, which is still used in some clinics in mexico.

MariaS 04-16-2012 10:47 AM

That has to be one of the craziest fad diets I've ever heard of. I won't be signing up any time soon.

CurryMama 04-16-2012 11:03 AM

That is nuts!

QuilterInVA 04-16-2012 11:18 AM

Since they would learn nothing about how to eat properly, I can see a rapid weight gain after the tube was removed.

stlrsgrl43 04-16-2012 11:23 AM

I read about this on yahoo this morning. I can't help but wonder what would make people go to such drastic measures. The article I read was about a woman that couldn't lose 10 pounds to fit in her wedding dress so she took the feeding tube route and lost 10 pounds in 8 days. What does her future husband think about it, I wonder?

LeilaJey 04-16-2012 01:02 PM

Wow thats really scary. I can understand the desperation to lose the weight fast but it's not healthy and it's not going to last. It's sad really.

threenorns 04-16-2012 01:22 PM

you have a problem with this but i'm guessing no problem with gastric bypass?

this is just gastric bypass without the surgery.

Quiet Ballerina 04-16-2012 01:59 PM

I don't think it's fair to say this is exactly like gastric bypass.

ddc 04-16-2012 03:03 PM

Not exactly lke gastric bypass, but they are both extreme calorie restriction.

desiresdestiny 04-16-2012 03:08 PM

Omg, our society keeps getting distorted and wild!