General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Default Buying a new house, letting go of the old one

So I have been looking at buying a new house. It is on the same street as my sister, bigger than my current one (finally a dining room!), within walking distance of a great park, closer to work (by .2 mile but I could actually walk there without having to arm myself), better neighborhood. On the other hand, it needs a ton of cosmetic work as well as a new bathroom and kitchen.

I have lived in my current house for the past 14 years, and owned it the past 6. Before I lived there a family had lived there since at least 1930 (per census records, I know, I am a total dork). The thought of selling the house to some slumlord that is going to rent it to some crappy tenant, or even worse - college kids, makes me so sad.

The new house does make so much more sense, I guess I am just scared of the unknown. Am I crazy or are these normal feeling to have about a new house and letting go of the old one?
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #2  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Totally totally feel the same way.. Although, our current house is fine and dandy, its just going to be too small for us in the coming years. You've had a lot of time with your house... I find that when I'm trying to 'fall out of love' with something, I had to constantly focus on the negative aspects of it. Like my old car, I had to break down and admit putting power steering fluid into it every time I drove anywhere was, yes, crazy, and I had to let it go...

Maybe try to focus on the negative parts? Sorry I can't be tons of help, lol... I get that way with things, too. And, lol, I'm a census dork too! LOL.

Good luck!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I just moved a few months ago,and while I did at first feel sad about leaving the old house,we had been there almost 13 years...that's all my youngest knew and that's how long we've had our dog.I'm glad we did it! The new house is in a better neighborhood,it's bigger,and there is just so much more I can do here(when we get some extra spending cash,lol).
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I find that when I'm trying to 'fall out of love' with something, I had to constantly focus on the negative aspects of it. Like my old car, I had to break down and admit putting power steering fluid into it every time I drove anywhere was, yes, crazy, and I had to let it go...

Maybe try to focus on the negative parts? Sorry I can't be tons of help, lol... I get that way with things, too. And, lol, I'm a census dork too! LOL.

Good luck!
Thanks kateleestar, that's good advice! There are so many negatives about the current home - first and most important - I don't have ONE full bath! One has a tub and toilet, the other a sink and a toilet and the third a shower and toilet and it's the one in the basement! The mere thought of waking up in the morning and heading to a bathroom with all three fixtures makes me so happy The simple things right?

Last edited by Jelma; 04-12-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoritsa View Post
I just moved a few months ago,and while I did at first feel sad about leaving the old house,we had been there almost 13 years...that's all my youngest knew and that's how long we've had our dog.I'm glad we did it! The new house is in a better neighborhood,it's bigger,and there is just so much more I can do here(when we get some extra spending cash,lol).
Congrats on the new house! It sounds like you are happy with your decision. I think I need to just bite the bullet and get started on trying to buy it! I am worried about the upgrades that it needs but the good thing is my sis is on the same street and has an amazing kitchen which she doesn't use so at least I don't have to worry about that while work is being done!