3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Bank of Mom and Dad (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/256329-bank-mom-dad.html)

krampus 04-05-2012 03:17 PM

I know the city is way more expensive than upstate, but I've been able to support myself fully making $12 an hour for only ~30 hours a week - I have to live with a roommate which is less than ideal, but living is cheap and I only do/buy what I can afford. Granted, I did have to move back home for a while to save up for the security deposit and first rent payment at my current place, but that was a temporary setup.

The job market stinks but I think it always has for the majority of folks - few people get dream jobs right off the bat. It's not uncommon to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. I'm not sure what "completely supported" by your parents means, but if you haven't taken the even-crappy jobs you've been able to find, you could be doing more to be independent.

Also, and too late, if you can't even support yourself on your current money, why are you going further into debt with grad school?

tessendicott 04-05-2012 04:31 PM

I'm not married, but my boyfriend and I do live together. He works full time, while I've only been able to work part-time because I can't find full-time work (I have a B.F.A in Photography). I know I have the support of my parents, but we would rather go without than have to ask our parents for anything. I wish I could ask for help sometimes, but I, like you said, feel so incredibly guilty about asking for anything that we just do without. I can't wait to be able to find a full-time job again.

Beach Patrol 04-06-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trazey34 (Post 4282049)
As long as you ARE working, waitressing or washing dishes doesn't matter, money is money. There's no way I could take money from my parents if I wasn't trying 100% to bring cash in, diggin a ditch if I had to. I went to University full time, worked at a retirement home in the morning and again at night!

^^THIS!!^^

That said, I also know what it means to not be able to find a job, even a crappy one like waitressing at a greasy spoon dive of a place, or even, yes, digging ditches.

I don't know anyone who hasn't had to have a little help from mom/dad somewhere along the way. I was in college in the early 80's. I got married in 87 and divorced in 89, and had my own place for awhile, until I lost my job. I was working temp jobs for years, and at one time I held THREE DIFFERENT jobs, just trying to make ends meet. I was tired, completely worn out, & STILL struggling! At one point, I had no choice but to move back in w/my mom. I was working a part-time job waitressing and after living w/mom for a couple months, I got a full-time job in my field. But I kept my waitressing gig. I offered to pay my mom rent for living there, until I could get back on my feet & afford my own place again. She just said "No, honey. Just save as much as you can & get the h*** out as soon as possible" LOL! - by that time, we were both two very different adult women & we just didn't "mesh" as roomies!

So that's what I did. I used my waitress money to live with (car payment & insurance, & I did pay water & cable bill at my mom's, plus my share of groceries), and I saved every dime from my full-time job until I had enough to get my own apt again.

I understand your guilt for "living off mommy & daddy". It's that guilt that tells me you are a fine, upstanding citizen who is willing to take responsibility for yourself & your own life. Not a "sponger" who expects mommy & daddy to take care of you while you carefree-flip-off & do whatever/whenever. Perhaps you'd feel better if you make a plan to pay them back or do something special for them later on. You don't even have to discuss it with them, just you know - do it.

For instance, in 2008 my husband lost his well-paying job. We had to let his truck go, and we borrowed my dad's 2nd-hand car for him to drive. At least hubby had something to get back/forth to interviews! - because I had to have my car to go to work & so forth, so we needed the extra vehicle. Anyway, we couldn't really afford to do much, but once he started working again & we got all caught up, we had my dad's car painted - nothing fancy, just a regular paint job - to say "THANK YOU" for helping us when we needed it. :^: So maybe planning something like that will help you let go of some of your guilt. :hug:

drake3272004 04-07-2012 09:52 AM

From someone who never could rely on parents for anything, my advice is make sure you are contributing in some way. Not just monetary, but do that little extra cleaning around the house.
And make sure you express to your parents how grateful and appreciative you are! It's the little things that matter.

jules1216 04-09-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake3272004 (Post 4284041)
From someone who never could rely on parents for anything, my advice is make sure you are contributing in some way. Not just monetary, but do that little extra cleaning around the house.
And make sure you express to your parents how grateful and appreciative you are! It's the little things that matter.

As the parent of a 27 year old son who moved back in with 2 kids under 2...We parents are grateful for the little things you do so we dont have too, just remember we need some quiet time to ourselves too...

MARLA26 04-09-2012 08:09 PM

Keep a tally of what you owe them, and then pay them off when you both get jobs.
Rent, utilities, food, toiletries, gas, cable, etc.

You can both do ALL the chores around the house for them while staying there. Here's your opportunity to wash all the walls, windows, cut the lawn, care for the flower beds, and repaint the whole place. This is a great chance to show your appreciation for all the help they are giving the both of you.

Can his parents contribute some money to the both of you as well?

Since your parents are inconvenienced and are contributing money, the two of you can easily contribute the elbow grease.

Your parents will be happy with your contributions, and the both of you will alleviate some of your guilt feelings over the situation.

Candeka 04-09-2012 08:21 PM

I am 22 and also married. My husband and I also live with my parents (we rent the basement suite). We are both currently in University. However, we pay ALL of our bills (including having to take out student loans). He works a dirty warehousing job where as I work security, babysitting and administration. We are super busy trying to balance both school an work, but it is what has to be done. I couldn't imagine my parents paying anything. We also pay for our own food and we pay rent (however rent here costs us about $100 less than it would to live on our own).

As long as your husband is working and you are working, I don't see why you would need much help from your parents. You should be able to manage your bills (maybe a discount on rent or something) if you are both putting full efforts into it. Even working at McDonalds can usually cover the basics such as food, rent and minor bills like cellphones.

MusicalAstronaut 04-10-2012 12:10 AM

I'm not married, but I'm almost completely dependent on my parents after graduating from college in December. I'm spending the majority of my time looking for a job in my field (biology) or working at one of my 2 part time jobs (I make almost nothing from them somehow), but if you asked my mom she'd say I do nothing all day long. Um, hello, what does she think I'm doing on my computer? That's how you apply for jobs. Yes, networking is better, but "looking for a job is a full time job" and nowadays, you do that online. I understand how frustrating it is to be living at home. I feel guilty that I do. How do your parents feel about it? I ask because every day my mom makes me feel like a worthless piece of crap, and about once a week my parents team up and scream at me. It's starting to affect my 12 year old brother - he confided in my dad that he's worried he won't get a job. And he's TWELVE.

Anyway, my point is, how do your parents and husband feel about the situation? And you might have to start looking for a job you don't want, sadly. That's the point I'm at right now. First I looked only at jobs I really wanted or that were in the area I want to live, but now I'm at the "I'll take anything" point.

drake3272004 04-10-2012 09:55 AM

Job market is tough. You will not find your dream job right away, sometimes not ever. You make do with what you can. That's life.

krampus 04-10-2012 11:02 AM

Job market is crap, but there are jobs - I've run into people who feel they're too good for mediocre or less-than-ideal jobs, but that's a selfish and unrealistic attitude for spoiled brats! Your loss if you sit around with no money..........

MiZTaCCen 04-10-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 4287439)
Job market is crap, but there are jobs - I've run into people who feel they're too good for mediocre or less-than-ideal jobs, but that's a selfish and unrealistic attitude for spoiled brats! Your loss if you sit around with no money..........

I agree, theres two types of people in this world. The GO-Getter's and the lazy asses who expect the world to be handed to them. Usually it's the go-getters that make it in life...the other ones unless mommy and daddy are rich are screwed.