3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   What are you reading APRIL 2012 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/256090-what-you-reading-april-2012-a.html)

Alyj89 04-06-2012 11:56 PM

Im reading the Birthmarked series (young adult dystopia setting similar to hunger games ! ). I just started the second book. the hunger games finally got me into my kindle fire again.

drake3272004 04-07-2012 09:35 AM

I went back to classics too. I am almost done with Jane Eyre, found that one on a swap table & when I forgot it at home one day I found Wuthering Heights for my kindle! About half way done now with that.
I caught Jane Eyre on television quite awhile ago, so was curious on how close they stuck to the book. And Wuthering Heights just happened to catch my eye on the free book list.

LindaWW 04-07-2012 11:45 AM

Last week I read Still Missing, On the Island, and Handling the Undead. This week I'm reading In Leah's Wake, and have several others on deck in my Kindle, that I can't remember the names of right now.

Teacher2B 04-07-2012 03:55 PM

I am currently reading the LotR trilogy one more time. Currently reading "The Two Towers" :D

TurboMammoth 04-07-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake3272004 (Post 4284024)
I went back to classics too. I am almost done with Jane Eyre, found that one on a swap table & when I forgot it at home one day I found Wuthering Heights for my kindle! About half way done now with that.
I caught Jane Eyre on television quite awhile ago, so was curious on how close they stuck to the book. And Wuthering Heights just happened to catch my eye on the free book list.

What a coincidence!! I started Jane Eyre this afternoon. I wanted to read it for a long time... I want to see the movie (big fan of M. Fassbender) but I wanted to read the book first.

drake3272004 04-08-2012 03:23 AM

Quote:

TurboMammoth

What a coincidence!! I started Jane Eyre this afternoon. I wanted to read it for a long time... I want to see the movie (big fan of M. Fassbender) but I wanted to read the book first.
I didn't know there were so many movies made from this book! This was the one I caught on tv:

http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Eyre-Sama...869451&sr=8-16

treasureBelle 04-10-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vex (Post 4282447)
I actually just finished a new book that came out last week. It's called "Escape from camp 14" - a true story about a man who was born in a North Korean gulag and escaped in 2005.

Fantastic book - highly recommended.

Sounds interesting... I'll have to look at that one. :)

At the moment, I'm working my way through Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo. Loving it so far.
I've read Wuthering Heights, and Pride and Prejudice since last year, but, although I like them, I didn't enjoy them in quite the same way as I'm enjoying Monte Cristo. I actually feel kind of sexist in terms of my classic preferences :dizzy: ... I hated Gaskell's North and South, because it took a page and a half to basically say, "Mrs Shaw didn't attend the wedding because she didn't have a new dress to wear." I like the way Dumas fills his books out with historical context and the like, because it actually informs my perspective of the story and my general knowledge. :^:

ANOther 04-10-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake3272004 (Post 4284687)
I didn't know there were so many movies made from this book! This was the one I caught on tv:

TCM just showed one not long ago from 1944, with Joan Fontaine, Orson Welles, and Elizabeth Taylor as the little girl who dies of pneumonia after marching a punishment drill in the rain

Soon to finish Star Island by Carl Hiaasen. Some stuff I want to read (out now, but put them in abeyance for the last-quarter mega-holiday season): Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith to be the big Christmas read, and there's a couple of sequels to Blood Oath (The President's Vampire, and I forget what the third one is called) that would make for good Halloween reading

paperclippy 04-10-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon_zephyr (Post 4276867)
"The Alchemy of Stone" by Ekaterina Sedaris. It's going to take me a while to get into it b/c I've got grad school work due soon, but, I've read the first chapter and love it so far. Vivid, lyrical, unexpected. It's told from the perspective of a clockwork doll.

I read that one a couple years ago! It was pretty good.

I just finished reading "The Daemon Prism" by Carol Berg, which was excellent (it's the third book in the Collegia Magica trilogy). Started yesterday on "The Edinburgh Dead" by Brian Ruckley.

I read the first Game of Thrones book several years back and didn't like it enough to bother reading the rest of the series. Same with Wheel of Time ages ago.

konfyoozed 04-10-2012 08:10 PM

still reading the outlander series by diana gabaldon currently about half way through "voyager" and will be starting "drums of autumn" soon.

also just finished "the christian athiest" and started reading "men of the bible" and will follow that with "women of the bible"

MonteCristo 04-11-2012 09:30 AM

I'm reading A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It is the first book in the series that the new Disney movie John Carter is based on.

MosesMom1 04-12-2012 02:55 PM

I just finished Lover Reborn by JR Ward :)

roxmysox 04-12-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drake3272004 (Post 4284687)

I watched this version last night since I had finished Jane Eyre (I was pronouncing it like "Eerie" until I saw the movie) and I was so disappointed in all the wonderful parts that were missed!

TurboMammoth 04-12-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxmysox (Post 4291002)
I watched this version last night since I had finished Jane Eyre (I was pronouncing it like "Eerie" until I saw the movie) and I was so disappointed in all the wonderful parts that were missed!

God I just realized I absolutely have no idea how to pronounce Eyre LOL

LeilaJey 04-12-2012 04:42 PM

I just started 'Fat Is A Feminist Issue'.. really interesting so far and it's talking about compulsive eating a lot. Seemed like a good time to read it.