General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladorine View Post
I am passionate about drawing, and I love the designs of certain cartoons and animated characters. I mostly love to draw cartoon girls, and since I've always been overweight I guess I sorta live vicariously through their figures. I did the drawing in my current avatar based on the Bee Girl from the old Blind Melon music video, and used that drawing to make the cover of my current weight-loss tracker booklet for my TOPS meetings:

The pages themselves are pre-made so that I can have my official weight recorded in them every month, but I sewed them into the cover by hand. I love making, building, creating, and customizing things, period. My husband and I designed our wedding invitations together, me doing the artwork of cute cartoon versions of ourselves and he doing the layout and text. We found lovely blank cards to print them out on ourselves and everyone thought they turned out wonderful.

I've also designed my iPhone case and my dog's name tag with other drawings. I go crazy with this kind of thing. I must say I also love office supplies and organization tools . . . you'd think I'd be more organized at home because of it, but I still need a bit of work with that.
OMG!! You drew that!! That's amazing! Seriously, I'd give my right arm to be able to draw like that!! (I'm left handed, lol) That is pure talent! That kind of artistic ability either you got it or you don't, and you got it!!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #17  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunula View Post
Oh! That's a good one! I love office supply stores, I end up buying notebooks and pens & pencils that I certainly do not need, just because I love having them, hah!
When the big office supply stores like Staples and Office Depot came to our town, my Mom and I used to call trips to them going to the adult toy store! You've just brought back some very happy memories.

Anyway, my personal passion is singing.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #18  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Education.

I'm a Special Education teacher and I'm very passionate about making sure students with special needs get the education they deserve. I'm always advocating for my students and setting my expectations high All of the students I work with have improved because of that.

I get really upset when their General Ed teachers come to me and say "well they just can't do that." So I work with the students and we work hard on the skills they need to improve. Now I get the teachers coming to me and saying "Wow they're doing so much better! I didn't know they could do that!" Yeah well maybe if they had more faith in their students... :/

I see so many inequities in Special Education that it drives me crazy. The students that need it most are not getting what they need and everyone expects them to fail. I try to make my classroom the one place where my students are expected to succeed. And hey! Guess what? They're doing that.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

Acting! I just can't help myself, I love escaping into someone else's head for a little while (even though my own is a rather nice place to be!) and making the words on the page come to life. I even love that intense fear you feel before going out on stage, and the HUGE adrenaline rush it induces.. been too long since I felt that

I also love to read, though I get so emotionally involved in books I find myself kinda drained after reading them! It's always an emotional rollercoaster for me!

One last one.. Music! I've always got my earphones in and I am truly willing to try listening to any kind of music, I love experiencing new sounds.

Now if only I could combine all of these and make a career out of them lol!
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #20  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Love this thread!

I'm passionate about lots of things!

I love to travel - road trip, plane trip, doesn't matter, I love it all. I take at least 3 weekend road trips each summer. I've been to Ireland 5 times, and I'm going back in November.

I adore my convertible - wind in my hair, sun on my face - LOVE IT! Wind in my hair is the next best thing to someone's hands in my hair.

I also love reading, cooking, music (especially Celtic rock and Eric Clapton), and tea! I have a great tea shop locally, and I love trying new blends and flavors.

I'm learning to like exercise. It helps that I've found things I like, and now I want to try more things. Who'da thunk?
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

Great thread. I am passionate about volunteerism. I am so glad to be in better shape so that I can get to know my new city via service activities. My latest adventure is the community based Big Brothers Big Sisters program.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #22  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Education.

I'm a Special Education teacher and I'm very passionate about making sure students with special needs get the education they deserve. I'm always advocating for my students and setting my expectations high All of the students I work with have improved because of that.

I get really upset when their General Ed teachers come to me and say "well they just can't do that." So I work with the students and we work hard on the skills they need to improve. Now I get the teachers coming to me and saying "Wow they're doing so much better! I didn't know they could do that!" Yeah well maybe if they had more faith in their students... :/

I see so many inequities in Special Education that it drives me crazy. The students that need it most are not getting what they need and everyone expects them to fail. I try to make my classroom the one place where my students are expected to succeed. And hey! Guess what? They're doing that.
As a parent of a child with some mild special needs, THANK YOU That is one quality I hope to find in my kiddo's future teachers - passion. Seriously getting choked up over here.

So about me...
I'm definitely passionate about knitting, specifically knitting with wire. I have a couple of online stores (Etsy and Artfire) where I sell my creations. Making wire do what I want it to do is a great stress reliever!

I'm also passionate about researching well, anything. Currently my list includes bras (thank you runningfromfat), autism, speech delays, sensory processing disorder, dieting (3FC is my main source for that), and photography.

Speaking of photography, that is also an interest of mine. I like to capture memories, emotions, moments in time. I'm not great at it, so that's where the research comes in.

Fun thread!
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #23  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Good thread! My passions (in no particular order) are...

Music. I always say that was my first love. One of my first memories was playing "Get Back" by the Beatles over and over on the record player. I like to have music playing no matter what I'm doing. I am in university now and have music playing for every assignment I write and every test I study for. I'm on the Dean's List so it must work. I swear it helps me think more clearly. I don't know how to play any instruments, but want to learn guitar and drums.

Travel. I can't afford to do much of it yet, but after I get my bachelor's degree next year and can afford to do it more, I plan to see more of the world. If life was the way I could have it, I would travel somewhere at least once a month for pleasure. Doesn't have to be a big trip, could be a short weekend road trip to get a change of scenery.

Flying. Love the feeling of soaring through the air, feels like freedom, and it is my favorite mode of travel. I love all planes. Would love to get my commercial license someday, or even my private license as a hobby. I have gone up in small planes at flying schools and steered with the yolk after we got to a particular height. Very cool.

Human rights. I am working on my social work degree now, and hope to get my masters someday along with a law degree (joint degree). I would like to work in human rights, to try to help eradicate some of the injustices some of the marginalized groups experience.

Writing. I used to write a lot when I was younger but got out of it. My family is known for being artistic, but my sisters are all into painting and drawing, and good at it. I have always been into writing, and as I get older, I am beginning to enjoy it again.

Last edited by Ookpik; 03-27-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #24  
Warrior Princess

Music

Forensic Science

Photography of cloud formations and storms. (I do this a lot in the summer)

Astronomy

Reading about near death experience, afterlife.

Travelling, if I didn't have a fear of flying.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #25  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i love anything to do with reincarnation, near death and the Other Side (i have LOTS of past life memories)

also teaching children of all ages, working with kids

helping kids in need especially foster kids and teenagers

photography
baking (sweets only unfortunately)
reading
puzzles
genealogy

maybe not "passionate" about all of those...but those are things i enjoy doing
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I just love reading these! I think sometimes I lose track of my hobbies & passions because I get so focused on "weight loss" or "work" - it's so nice to read all of these!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #27  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Writing...I know my grammar and spelling suck, but that doesn't stop me from writing, journaling and blogging. **** someone said to me once, "Some of the best writers can't spell but that's why they pay to have an editor." haha I think he was just saying it to make me feel better because someone was trying to make me feel like **** about my horrible grammar. Still doesn't stop me tho.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Anything to do with food - cooking it, reading about it. Learning about where my food is grown or raised. Learning about nutrition. Dispelling people's misconceptions about what is healthy food vs. processed crap.

Genealogy. I have been researching it actively for the past 4 years but interested in it for a long time. I remember growing up and reading the note from my great grandmother detailing her side of the family. Come to find out she wrote it right after I was born (I was the first grandchild on that side of the family). Kind of makes it meant to be I would love to write about it as well.

I recently started the much needed downsizing of possessions (been watching too many episodes of Hoarders) and I am really getting into interior design. I love playing with color and patterns.

I've also recently got back into to art - mostly drawing and some painting.

Astrology, though it is on the back burner right now.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

This is terrible, but baking is my passion. I love trying new recipes and tweaking them, I love decorating cakes and cupcakes (even though I'm not very good at that part yet) and I love when people seem to genuinely enjoy eating the things I bake. My dream in life is to open my own bakery.
But because of my weight issues, I've had to restrict my baking for special events only. (Potlucks, birthdays, BBQs, things like that).
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #30  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

This is a great conversation topic!

First I guess would be motorcycling. I didn't learn to ride my own 'til I was 40 (at that age, our boys were old enough that I thought they could handle any unfortunate news of accident, which is kinda grim, but realistic)

I love the very elemental aspects of motorcycling, that it is stripped-down transportation that relies on my wits/skill/action to make it down the road and beyond. Commuting is a joy instead of a task. And that it is a shared joy with DH is just fantastic. It also transcends into a way of life in the summer, with lots of trips or even just getting together with other biking friends, and I must say I love the black leather and all the other attire that I can get away with

I am so glad that there are others that love pens and writing instruments as I do! They can be cheap..like a ballpoint clicker that I got for free from the bank but writes so smoothly, without globs OR it can be the Montblanc that an employer gave me as a gift! Sharpies, in all colors and thickness, and pads of creamy paper to write or doodle on. If i have a nice pen, I don't even mind writing my return address instead of using labels, lol.

Oh gosh and I have to add baking, also. I love to go to websites and I only click on 'desserts'. Part of it is job related as I am a pastry baker from May to October, but it is also a fascination with taking inert ingredients such as flour, sugar, eggs and butter and the end product is something fantastic. And tasty

Motorcycles, cupcakes and pens, pretty weird

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote