General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #16  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

I got on the Pill at 18 and tried 5 different pills over the course of a year-and-a-half. Each affected my body in a noticeably different way. You might be able to find the right one through some trial and error. I'd still be on the Pill if I could be--I loved it--but I started having migraines with aura, so I can't do anything with estrogen anymore.

I had the Paragard (non-hormonal copper) IUD inserted at the beginning of February (off the Pill last June). Like XLMuffnTop, I would describe the experience as uncomfortable, but not nearly as bad as I expected. (29, never been pregnant) The cramps during my first period since then were quite bad, to be honest, but they were mostly managed with ibuprofen (the worst part was waking up in the middle of the night when the ibuprofen had worn off), and most women seem to report that the cramps get somewhat better over time. My first period was also very long, but I'm told that gets better, too.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I have Mirena and love it. No issues with it at all. The only thing you have to remember is the 5 year thing and they give you a card so you remember when you got it. I've had several different types of BC pills and I was either forgetting to take them or an emotional wreck. The patch gave me massive headaches. So far no crazy hormones on the IUD except the random cry every now and then, but who doesn't need a good cry sometimes?!
KatieAlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #18  
Trimming the fat

S/C/G: 163/163/120

Height: 5'1

I've also run the gambit of BC methods. I'm not a fan of condoms and allergic to latex. Tried every kind of non-latex but I still despise them. However, I used them until my current partner whom I fully expect to stay with. I've used a few of the different brands of pills including triphasic and low dose. They all mess me up pretty bad. I've considered the copper IUD but after reading reviews and hearing what my doc had to say, it seems that a lot of women have constant break through bleeding. Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone though. After trying the Nuvaring, I won't be switching. It has worked fabulously for me with and the only side effect being a lower sex drive. Lower sex drive as in, I don't think about or want it on my own accord but if it's initiated I'm all in. Just need that initial boost. I can't feel it and if you can, it means it probably needs adjustment. It happens occasionally. And another plus, it's effectiveness is not affected by antibiotics like the pill. It IS expensive BUT if you order it via Canadian pharmacy, it's much cheaper. $80 for 3 rings which includes free shipping... totals out to about $27 a month.
LadyWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 267/230.5/161

Height: 5"8

Best birth control??

BEING FAT.
Taking care of someone else's kids. Having your own kids..ha.

oh and IUD. works wonders. The copper one not the hormonal one (can make u coo-coo from the hormones..
SLIMplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #20  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I got the Paragard IUD (the copper one) after my last kid. It hurt a bit when they measured how far to put it in, but pain only lasted about 5 seconds. The IUD lasts for ten years and the only downside is my periods are pretty heavy and I get crampy the first day of them (but manage it with midol). It's recommended most for women who've had children, but it can be done if you haven't had kids, just make sure the doc puts it in right after your period when your cervix is still open a little, otherwise it will hurt because they will have to manually dilate your cervix. Ouch.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #21  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I second natural family planning, though we definitely use condoms during the fertile window as I get pregnant very easily and we don't want to abstain. I can't really endorse any other form of birth control, there are too many negative side effects for me.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I'm on a monophasic pill and haven't had any issues with them. I started on Alesse and only changed when I moved countries because they don't have it in the UK. I went to Yasmin, which wasn't a great one for me, as it managed to kill any interest in my hubby that I had, and I'm now on Mercilon, which is pretty good for me.

I've never tried a triphasic pill or the shots/implants because other women in my family have had horrible reactions to both - crying/screaming/mood swings and a few pregnancies as well, which sort of defeats the purpose.

I'm on BC because of period symptoms, so mine need to be hormonal or so I was told ages ago. I don't know if anyone else uses a non-hormonal form of BC that controls cramps/bleeding and regulates periods, but I'm always happy to look into something new if someone has a suggestion.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #23  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I used Nuva ring and loved it! -- I was given it to forgo period ( I went 3 months between periods). I did not feel it, I did not need to remember to take the pill, and it is lower in hormones.

Last edited by Sum38; 03-20-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #24  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

My daughter has switched from the pill to Nuva Ring. She was having trouble remembering to take the pill, especially when she was away at school. We talked to our doctor about other IUD inserts but because she has never had children and does want them in the future, there were too many risks. The doctor suggested Nuva ring and at first she was hesitant but decided to give it a try for 3 months and she loves it. She does not have to worry about taking a pill every night, it is the most effective kind of BC aside from the pill, and she has not experienced any side effects.
If you are sure you never want to have children, consider having your tubes tied. I really is an easy process and can be reversed if you change your mind in the future.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #25  
back in the habit

S/C/G: 166/139/<130

Height: 5'6"

I second the suggestion for Loestrin 24... it has been the only BC pill I have been satisfied with.

I tried several others (can't remember all the names; I know Alesse was one of them) that coincided with me having massive mood swings, weight gain,a libido that could not have been lower, breakouts, etc. I had "given up" on BC pills for several years before seeing my doc a couple of summers ago for my annual. I have always had severe menstrual cramps, and she suggested that I may have endometriosis and told me to give Loestrin 24 a shot. This was after me explaining that I've had problems with other BC formulations in the past, but Loestrin is a low-dose pill that is supposed to be a bit lighter on the side-effects.

I've been on it for two years now and I can't say enough good things. It is a low-dose pill, so I did have some inconvenient spotting for the first three-four months of use. You also have to be fairly consistent with the timing of the pills, as it seems that you can easily induce spotting with a shift of even several hours in your regimen. However, I have not had severe cramps in over a year, my mood is generally good, no nose-dive on my sex-drive (thank god), no problems with weight loss, and my period is generally super light.

good luck with figuring out what works for you.
pavvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #26  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Thanks for all the stories and input guys. The greatest lesson here is certainly "every situation is different." I'll have medical insurance with my new job so maybe playing around with different kinds of BC will actually be a viable option for me.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 217.5/202.8/150

Height: 5'8

I'm 25,never been pregnant, and I don't have kids.

I tried the depo shot first, which made me depressed, gained a lot of weight on it, and it just wasn't right for me. The only positives are that my skin cleared up, lighter period, and I didn't get pregnant.

I was switched to a pill and I took that for a little while. I was afraid of it not working, me forgetting it, and it was a hassle to me to have to remember to take it every day at the same time. I had my boyfriend use condoms as a backup most of the time when I was on the pill. It was better than the shot though.

I went back to the health dept, and the nurse brought up the nuva ring and copper iud since I had put on a lot of weight. Nuva Ring would have been $45 a month. I didn't like that idea.

However, they had funds allocated for something to do with the health department, and they needed to use it. I was told that I could get the Paragard IUD for free and inserted for free. However, I would have to go to a gynecologist to have it inserted. So I did. Best birth control I've used so far.

Yes, it hurt bad, even after 800mg of ibuprofen. It was worth it. I would do it again.

Only bad thing is that my skin breaks out all the time now, but I think it's because of hormones. My skin was always breaking out as a teen. Periods are much lighter, but they last longer.
sparkles86tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 217.5/202.8/150

Height: 5'8

Also, check out iud_divas on livejournal for iud stories. Not every birth control is right for every woman.
sparkles86tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

This month marks 6 years with the Ring for me. I will probably never switch to anything else. I don't have to worry about remembering a daily pill (if I did, I'd have several kids by now) and haven't really had any side effects. DH has never felt it, neither have I. It's expensive compared to other BC, but totally worth it to me.

I thought about IUD but my sister had an awful, awful experience with hers. My gyno did an exam and said that I have a very small uterus. It wouldn't necessarily be painful, but I would probably be able to feel it a good portion of the time. No thanks!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I dont think there is a "best" birth control pill/patch/method per se.

I use ortho evra placed on my upper thigh. Rotating back and forth between legs to minimize irritation (and it is minimal) It works well for me.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote