General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #1  

Default Keratin Hair Treatment

Have any of you had a Keratin hair treatment?

I am intrigued with the thought of my curly, frizzy hair being tamed but haven't made the leap yet. It's a big investment for me not to love the results but how do you know how your hair will react unless you try it?

Since I am on a low calorie diet and a cancer fighting drug, my hair has thinned out (I have a few bald spots, it's so sad) and broke in sections. I can't color or do any treatments to my hair while I am at this stage of my diet and while taking this prescription.

My once wild and thick out of control curls are now just lifeless hair on my head and don't do anything. I always wished I had straight hair and people drooled over my curls. Now I have neither, just yucky to me. (Nice description huh?) I won't try my flat iron on my head right now as I am afraid of it all just falling out.

When I got my hair straightened just with the flat iron in the past at the salon, it looks GORGEOUS and I wish my hair was like that all the time. But of course, washing the next day means it's gone.

I know I can talk DH into investing in a treatment in my hair, he knows how much I am struggling with my hair issues (more the mental part) but if I have to keep it up every 3 months or so it's going to add up quick. I think the Keratin treatments run about $200 each?
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi! Firstly, all the best to you in your health struggles. **HUGS**

I've done the treatment...once. Though, I was told that I had to do it several times in order for it to have the best results. Now, in the interest of disclosure, I am black w/ extremely coily hair. For me, it wasn't worth the investment; however, (assuming your coils aren't as tight as mine) your results may be different. In fact, the research I did said that it loosens your curl pattern. If your curl pattern isn't super tight, you may just get the results you're after.

I don't regret trying it, to be honest, since I'd have always wondered about it. Maybe it's worth a try?

Last edited by Cali Doll; 03-11-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Be careful of hte chemicals in it. It almost all has formaldahyde or similar in it and that is dangerous and a carcingen.

Also if you think flat ironing would make it fall out, keratin treatment could do the same thing! Not sure exactly what process you are doing but most of them involve sealing it in with a flat iron.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I did it once as a teenager, it did nothing for my hair. I have very tight curls.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #5  

Thank you so much for your replies,they are very helpful. I'm not planning on doing anything yet, just looking for something to look forward to when I can try and fox this mess. And omg, formaldehyde is probably the last thing I should put on myself!

I thought about getting a wig just to tidy everything up but I don't want it to look fake. Boo.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote