Impulsive/Bad Decision

• First things first, yesterday I found out I got a job I interviewed for. This is great news - a salary and benefits, like a "real adult" - and I'm excited to see where it goes career-wise.

Now here's another thing. I was thinking about taking a week and a half and going to Japan to see my friends there before everyone disperses and moves back to their home countries to start their lives in the summer. I have a lot of friends over there who are English teachers, and this means lots of free places to stay. Basically, the trip would be a final revisit to my "old life" and perhaps a nice means of closure. Not to mention a friend from the UK is going at the same time, and tickets are cheap for flights.

I wanted to go April 5-16, but my job starts March 21st. It wouldn't look good at all with any job, but even more so since it's a 2-person office and I will be the assistant to the executive director of the organization. Jeopardizing a new job is stupid but probably not grounds for firing, and this is really the last time in my life I'd be able to have this sort of trip to Japan.

What would you do in my shoes? Keep in mind that it's almost typical of me to take impulsive and expensive trips.
  • Hmmm. Talk to your new boss and tell him/her that you already had this trip planned and that you hope that it won't be a problem for your new job.

I know at my job there have been new employees that already had plans and they were 'allowed' to take the time off.
  • Can you push out your start date?

OR

I personally wouldn't give up the chance to take the trip. I would explain to the new job that you've had this trip planned for about 6 months and already have your ticket. See what type of reaction you get.
  • I would have told the interviewer at my interview about my plans telling him/her I had already bought plane tickets, thery would either agree with you taking the time off or have postponed your start date. I would not ask for time off now , I do feel it would jeopardize your job. as a supervisor I wouldn't look too kindly to it unless it was an emergency.
  • Yeah, bargoo I agree with you. I decided yesterday to look into flights etc. and hadn't thought of it or mentioned it to the employer.

I can't do everything I want to do all the time everywhere on earth - that's part of life!
  • I agree with Bargoo,

Since you didn't mention it to your interviewer, I'm afraid that ship has sailed. Also, you mentioned that this job is your first real job and a possible stepping stone for your career. Don't put a bad taste in your supervisor's mouth right off the bat, it will always be in the back of their mind.

The time to have mentioned it was during the interview process - they probably would have been fine with it then. Springing on them now may seem manipulative (at least that's how I would see it, if I were them).

Sounds like you're rethinking it anyways.

Congratulations on your new job! Go into it with positive thoughts and let the trip go. You'll be great.
  • Agreed. I would have mentioned it during your interview. It will seem like you don't really care about the new job. I would just wait as much as this trip means to you.
  • I disagree. Bringing it up at the interview puts the cart before the horse, and also tells the interviewer that your priority is this trip. Even if it is...you shouldn't tell them that. Instead, wait until you get the job OFFER. If the trip is very important to you, you should bring it up when accepting the job...tell them "i would love to accept this position but i planned this trip a long time ago. Is there any way i could work it into the schedule?" I don't think that's manipulative because it gives them the opportunity to say "no" you can't have the job if it's conditioned on you going on the trip.

Personally, though, i would delay the trip if i really liked the job.
  • The only reason I work is so I can take trips :P

I've pretty much decided at this point to just focus on the job for now, since I'm gonna need 2 weeks off to go to Europe in the winter anyway