General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #1  

Default Vent!

No need to reply, this is just a vent.

I took a job that I had very specific provisions that I expected to happen when I proved myself that would increase my salary. We signed a contract.

Those provisions are not happening. I had a meeting to discuss this with my CEO that he cancelled three times, previously, so it took a full month for him to meet with me. He stated that the 30 mile separation was the problem, but I was required to travel the 30 miles twice weekly for his meetings. In that meeting he told me that what I signed wasn't a contract, it was an understanding, and that it does not hold up in law.

We discussed very bluntly what was going down with the business I manage. I complained that he was NEVER there and that his decisions were poor judgement and at the very least I should be in the loop on decisions. I'm the only one there, he lives and works in another branch with a very different culture. Me: population 1500. Him: population 15,000. That's a very big difference. Especially when he, the CEO of 7 months, last worked in a population of 700,000. I grew up in Chicago. I intimately know the difference in culture between rural and city. It is HUGE!

I told him I'm prepared to step down as local boss and go part time. I'm not getting paid enough to even pay for gas and dog food to be the responsible party making sure we are open at 5:30 am, working 10-20 more hours per week than I am paid.

He told me that if I step down in my responsibilities (I'd essentially get paid the same to go part time/not salaried- with zero responsibility) that he couldn't guarantee I'd get the hours. (threat)

We decided to let the board decide. That'll take a month.

Meanwhile, I have business to conduct and he is so out of the loop he's useless. Worse. His decisions are based on big city experience and we're small potatoes. His decisions are going to cause us to go out of business. I have had no say.

So today I have the flu. I'm 42 and I have 100 degree fever while on fever reducing meds. I'm sick . It's been going around, my kids have all had it (some twice) and the inevitable happened. I'm miserable.

In my sick state, I work from home. He knows that I'm sick.

He chose to ignore a previous email about my possible but unlikely promotion, and instead, pick at me that I did not CC him on an email about a simple liability question to our insurance manager. I had already mentioned the liability problem to him at our meeting, which he evidently totally forgot .

I am so mad right now that his prissy little email was trying to be made out like I was insubordinate.

Who the Heck starts out an email as "As your Superior..." in a business that salaries ONE person and the rest are part time???

Are you kidding me?

Is this guy on an ego trip or am I just reacting badly from my FLU?
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
Is this guy on an ego trip or am I just reacting badly from my FLU?
I am afraid that he is on something even worse than an ego trip!
MrsCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Agreeing with MrsCake...what a tool! I'm thinking the craptastic economy is making for some nasty bosses lately.I'm hearing a lot more of this lately...and because people need their jobs,many are afraid to say anything.It's just not right
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #4  

Well, he apologized. So that's cool.

Then today, I got an email from the associated branch telling me that I'm the emergency sub for summer camp, as she was told by the CEO.

Um, **** NO! I have it specifically stated in my hiring "contract" which we all know now that isn't an actual contract, that I will NOT do summer camp crap.

I live for summer. **** if I'm going to run in when some hung over college student decides to blow of work and ruin my kids whole day on the lake!!!!!!!!!!

I've got to get over this illness. I think it's making my psycho.

Thanks for your support, though. I do think the CEO needs to be educated on what I was hired to do. I just have to remember to tell him in a way that doesn't get me fired. lol
Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Is it worthwhile to have the contract looked over by a lawyer? If it truly is a contract you have remediation that can happen.

If it's not, they could be in a bit of trouble making people believe they were signing a binding contract.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Wow.

I haven't had to deal with crazy boss stuff in a long, long time but I know first hand how it rankles!

Keep your email trail. Get it in writing. Next time you make an understanding contract get it notarized? I don't know. Check your legalities.

I hope you are able to do how you want and move to PT work and lose the responsibility load since you aren't getting the pay to make up for the headache.

If it makes you feel better I once was in on a conference call and the crazy boss topic o' the day was how can the company save/earn more money? And he was stony silent when I suggested how about we stop weekly conference calls across a mess of time zones that cost like a thousand a pop and save that 52,000 a year right there (technology of the time) and maybe everyone not having to wrangling time zone crazy each week would mean more productive employees. Use the call savings to hire more help around here! Tell your managers, they will tell us. We don't all need to hear it from you direct. You just like to yammer? DUH.

I said it much nicer and more professional than THAT of course. But I secretly teeheed when crazy boss got the axe.

Hang in there!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-08-2012 at 12:52 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Wow.

I haven't had to deal with crazy boss stuff in a long, long time but I know first hand how it rankles!

Keep your email trail. Get it in writing. Next time you make an understanding contract get it notarized? I don't know. Check your legalities.

I hope you are able to do how you want and move to PT work and lose the responsibility load since you aren't getting the pay to make up for the headache.

If it makes you feel better I once was in on a conference call and the crazy boss topic o' the day was how can the company save/earn more money? And he was stony silent when I suggested how about we stop weekly conference calls across a mess of time zones that cost like a thousand a pop and save that 52,000 a year right there (technology of the time) and maybe everyone not having to wrangling time zone crazy each week would mean more productive employees. Use the call savings to hire more help around here! Tell your managers, they will tell us. We don't all need to hear it from you direct. You just like to yammer? DUH.

I said it much nicer and more professional than THAT of course. But I secretly teeheed when crazy boss got the axe.

Hang in there!

A.
I love that story!