My DH wants to join the Marines

• So Ive known about this for a while. Hes been talking about joining the military since we first met a few years ago. Its something hes always wanted to do. I am a firm believer in the concept of things happening when they are meant to happen-no sooner-no later. He decided to postpone joining because of everything that was going on with us getting serious, then getting married and straightening out our finances. We've been together since 05 and married now for going on 4 years. Things have seemed to calm down for us, and now that hes lost a lot of weight hes seriously looking into joining the military again. I support him 100%, and hes got about 20lb more to go before he can start the enlistment process. He drops weight fast though(men and their metabolism ), so were looking at him starting the process around May.

I guess my point to all of this is, any of you military wives or gf's can give me some insight on what to expect. Ive read tons of web pages and a few books. I know about how long boot camp lasts and the job training that follows, etc etc. But at some point though things go back to 'normal' don't they? I mean in between deployments he'll go to work and come home at night like most "9to5" jobs right? I know the first year is going to be carzy, and unless he gets deployed right away year 2 or 3 things should calm down a bit?

BTW We both have family member's who are or have been in the military so were well aware of the moving around, leaving for a week or 2 for training, and long deployments.
  • I come from a Navy perspective but my DH did not work anything close to a 9-5. He was second shift aviation electrician. Basically, what first shift didn't fix, second shift came in (3pm or so), continued working on until it was done. He was sometimes there until 2, 3 or later into the morning hours. I was working first shift so we were like ships parting in the night. (Intentional pun! )

My husband (though we weren't acquainted at this time) went to A-school in Florida for training for 9 months where family was not moved with them because it's not long term. This includes wives and kids. So, boot camp, brief visit then A-school for months then a possible deployment.
  • So I know it is your husbands choice but is there any reason he specifically wants to go into the Marines? Honestly, it'd be the last branch I'd recommend. I've worked with a lot of ex-Navy people, known some AF people, known some Army people, grew up in a (Marine) military town and known lots of ex-Marines, etc. Although the Navy seems rough from a deployment standpoint, it seems to offer a lot of opportunities, similarly with the AF. I know least about the Army (although my father was in the Army). I know it can be what you make of it but it depends on what specifically he is interested in, if he wants to be career military or go in for opportunities afterwards.
  • By 9 to 5 i just meant like general 8-12hr work shift(which is what he currently works in a warehouse). Hes on day shift now, but was originally on night shift. We've already BTDT when it comes to working different shifts and not seeing each other except weekends, so Im not too worried about him having to work nights.
  • nelie - we've already discusses to lengths end and then over again why he wants to join the Marines. He's pretty solid about it. Hes aiming for a full 20 to make a career out of it. He knows all about the cut backs and the chance he might not make it to 20 because of that but hes determined to try. Unlike me, if I ever were to join the military Id only be in it for the GI Bill for college money. Not the case with him.
  • Ahh ok. Yeah most of the people I worked with that were in the Navy/AF went for the experience/GI bill and had pretty solid technical foundations for life after their short service along with the ability to complete college. They made a lot more money than me a lot quicker based on their military experience/knowledge. My stepfather was a 20 year in person in the Marines (and also was a recruiter for a while). The retirement is decent and obviously health insurance is nice.
  • Well, my husband is Army, not Marines and I'm not familiar with the military outside from what I've experienced. But, his work day is generally 6 - 5 or so. I wouldn't necessarily say that being military is like a normal job though. Mainly because he is always on call and if someone else messes up in his unit then everyone is punished for it. A few weekends ago some guy got a DUI so everyone had to go in and sit there for like 6 hours on Saturday. Not to mention he occasionally has 24 hour duty and for my husbands particular job he has field training once a month at least.

I suppose you could say things calmed down, but it's more like you just start knowing what to expect and getting used to it. Every branch and job is different so your experience will vary. It might calm down right away or it might never calm down.

It's good for you to be supporting his dream though