My 600lb Life - Anyone watch it

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I watched this on TLC last night. It was a 7 year documentary on a lady who started out over 600lbs who had bypass surgery.
    Some of the shots were more graphic that I needed, liked when they showed her skin removal surgery but overall I thought it was pretty good. It followed her for 7 years post surgery and showed the ups and downs of her journey.
    Wish they would have shown what type of exercise she did. I think she did a lot of walking but not sure what else.
    It was a very realistic, inspirational documentary. They have 3 or four other stories they are going to show and I am really looking forward to watching them.
  • re:
    I did. (missed the last 15 mins though)

I can't believe how she looked afterwards - I think the doc even said 10-20 lbs underweight at one point. Wow. What a fantastic story.

• I did too ...I thought it was a great show, and like you said very realistic ...I liked that she actually said that she ate way too much instead of making excuses for her very large size...it did make me sad to see how she looked skin wise even after all those surgeries ....she will never look "good" without clothes on I suppose ...but I know she is much more healthier and feels better ...

I had tears in my eyes when that old man at the grocery store was so rude to her...people are so ignorant and nasty.

I also didn't really care for her husband and his cheating ways....but I am glad she got her little girl, she was adorable.

Carri
  • I was riveted to it! I really liked the realistic tone of the narrative - the ups and downs and everything in between. It showed the 'reality' of weight loss. Even with surgery it's a hard row to hoe and, as she said a couple times, being thinner doesn't make you happier. You have to find the happiness for yourself.

I also had tears in my eyes when that guy was so mean to her in the grocery store. There's just no need to be unkind like that but we all know that people can and do act like that.

Looking forward to the rest of the series!
  • I happened to catch it quite on accident (I was just flipping channels), and thoroughly enjoyed it.

She had plenty of good and bad moments, and I actually thought it was wonderful that they showed all of it. A very realistic account of the ups and downs of weight loss, especially when compared to other types of weight-loss shows.

They even showed the really bad outcome of pushing yourself too hard, too fast when she was made to return to the hospital so her body could heal properly from the surgery.

My heart ached for her when that guy in the grocery store made that comment at her. I know that feeling, and felt like I was right there with her for it. I wanted to punch that guy in the nose for her!

I actually think I'll be catching the other ones on purpose in the future.
  • I watched last night and ended up crying through most of it. Her feelings were so real and related so much to me. I will be 100% completely honest and hope I don't offend anyone here, but this show was a complete eye opener for me. I've always believed that gastric bypass was an "easy way out". You get the surgery, and voila, pounds slip away and problem solved. This show completely changed my views. She was so honest and up front about her feelings and struggles post-surgery. What an amazing woman though!
  • Honestly, it scared the **** out of me. I mean, in some version of my life, I can't deny that could have been me. I only ever got to 207, but my trajectory was not good.

I was so angry and nearly cried when that guy in the store was nasty to her. I mean, people hated her for how she looked. And she was trapped in her body with almost no help. It truly frightened me.

I just started it, but I feel like it's going to be intense. I want to watch it, though.

EDIT: I've nearly finished it now. I've basically cried through half of it, either for good or sad reasons. She is an incredibly strong and positive person. I don't know if I would be able to handle things as well as she did. That was rough.
  • I watched the first half so far, I have it on my DVR and I can't wait to see the whole thing. I really like that it's more a low-key, straightforward documentary than a typical TLC-style reality show.
  • I only saw the first hour, I was so bummed to miss the second half.
  • I stumbled across this show last night while flipping channels, and I watched it off and on since I was busy doing other things. I found it very realistic, and so unlike TBL, which I don't watch any more.

This losing weight is serious business, and I commend her for going for the WLS. It is difficult to lose weight any way you do it.

Hope she has a happy life. I'll look for the show next Wednesday evening and try to watch it in its entirity. .
  • Not yet, but I just set my DVR to record it when it comes on again.
  • I watched it and thought it was really well done.

Tonight I'm going to watch something called "Fat Chef" on the Food Network. I'm a sucker for these types of shows!
  • I caught it while flipping channels. I only saw the second hour, so I watched the first hour when they aired it again right afterward.

Her husband is an ***. I know they're going through counseling now, but I'd have left him, especially since he didn't stop cheating even after she lost the weight.

I can't wait to see the other stories. I'm trying to figure out when they're on. Is it going to be every Wednesday night? I didn't see any scheduled tonight or tomorrow.

Also, man... that scared me. I'm glad I put on the brakes when I hit 355. I cannot imagine trying to deal with being 650 pounds. My knees were already in bad shape, and I caught myself waddling on occasion. Just a few weeks of working out has already cured most of that.

I was so happy when she was dancing and going up and down her front steps after she realized she could finally do it without turning sideways.
  • I DVR'd it and am watching it right now. Her husband is a jackarse.

What a strong woman!! I cried at the part when she was at WalMart and heard the comments made by that jerk. And again at the part when she had to purchase two seats at the airport.

I also love how they are being very realistic about having the same cognitive and emotional issues post-op. Very refreshing to see a frank discussion of weight as a shield, not liking yourself, hiding yourself from people, etc.

I can't wait to see the other episodes as well!
  • I too sympathized when she was in the store. That was horrible!!!

It to opened my eyes. I never was really aware of what happend or went on when having weight loss surgery. Surgery out here in Canada is not covered inless you have a referral for it, and then its a 4 year waiting list. Point is: inless you want to wait for 4 years to get the surgery, your stuck paying over 15000$. Its expensive and i could never afford it. Never the less.. i also thought it was easy just to have surgery and bam! your slim..but no..it was hard to see what she had to go through. I know i couldnt do that.. I hate hospitals..and that was a lot of hospital time. Also, i want to say that it was inspiring. If a 600 pound women can watch what she eats and she can diet and and she can lose weight, so can i. It means that its possible. It means that even at 600 pounds, you can still change your life around.