When people talk about animal fats

• If they are telling you it is bad for you it is "fat" or "grease". If it is a gourmet recipe it is "drippings".
  • Another bad one.. "lard"... I hate that word.
  • And lard isn't just lard - it only comes in a heinous "tub".
  • The demonization of animal fat drives me crazy. I just want to chuck a copy of Nourishing Traditions or The Primal Blueprint at their heads
  • I have heard that lard is a good facial moisturizer. I was going to buy some at the store to try it, but it's in those huge tubs.

Anyone ever tried it??
  • Make sure the lard you're buying is real animal lard. I found some at my local grocery store that was actually hydrogenated seed oils (basically crisco/vegetable shortening). Made me so angry that they labeled it lard!
  • I wouldn't buy it in tubs if you can help it, often it is hydrogenated or has a bunch of stabilizers.

Go to the meat counter or a butcher and ask for pork belly or tallow - then render your own. Cheap, useful skill, your own quality control, tasty little bits that are delicious on salad left over.... Can't go wrong. The lard is tasty in recipes and good on your skin.

Google 'rendering lard' for tons of tutorials.
  • Quote: I have heard that lard is a good facial moisturizer. I was going to buy some at the store to try it, but it's in those huge tubs.

Anyone ever tried it??
    Only if you're referring to Crisco as lard. I have used it and do use it. My mother used it and never had a face wrinkle, and I am not wrinkly on my face either. I think part of it is genetics tho. My mom was born in 1925; Crisco was a cheap moisturizer--however, if you google it, it will come up as a recommended moisturizer. It is a bit greasy tho; I don't recommend using it on your body, just the face. And remember...don't go buying the butter flavored...lol...stick with the original scentless.