General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Duggar Mom Expecting Baby #20

19 Kids and Counting on TLC--
Anyone watch this show? I am baffled that someone would willingly give birth 20 times. Wow. I know that they have different beliefs, but it still amazes me that at 45, and with the last child being premature and almost dying, that they would go through another pregnancy.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5

well, I don't know why anyone would do that either. But I feel that way about a lot of things. I'm pretty firmly pro-choice and that means I think woman can have way too many children too.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #3  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

They seem to have a strange system.. I've seen the TV specials a few times, it seems like the oldest ones take care of the younger ones more than their actual parents do.. which would give them more time to make more children, I guess? I can't imagine 20 children, though.. wow.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

I feel that it is not a good idea as the aforementioned previous child being born via emergency due to pre-e and being born at 23 weeks, which meant she stood a good chance of dying or having severe disabilities.

I have one child (so far) he was born via emergency C/S and I am 37, he is nine months. It took my body a long time to heal from one pregnancy. I cannot imagine doing this 19 more times. It is not safe, nor healthy for the Mom to do so.

Also, I feel it is unethical as the younger children are required to care for their siblings - if you cannot manage the children you have - don't have more. Your children should not be forced to be permanent babysitters IMO.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

The issue I have with the Duggars is that they pass off their children to the oldest girls to take care of (the boys don't help in the child-rearing). They wanted to have the child, they should take care of it.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, I agree that it is unethical to have the older siblings raise the younger ones. I'm curious to see how all of them are once they are grown, whether or not they adopt the same lifestyle.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #7  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

My mother was 1 of 14 and she would tell you that this is totally unfair to the older girls. She was a built-in nanny for all of the younger children, and so were her other sisters. They had no social life and weren't allowed to go anywhere. As soon as she graduated and turned 18, she married the first guy who looked at her, just to get out of the house. The parents can do what they see fit with their lives, but they should not have the right to force the older kids to take care of this giant brood. It's totally wrong and unfair.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I haven't heard about this. Is it a religious thing? It sounds rather like the Quiverful movement.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

My concern is hers and the baby's health. This is not good for her. Her doctor told her that this last time.

Of course, it isn't my business and they are not living on the tax payers dole like octomom but I do find it disgusting when there are kids out there that need a home.

Could someone please tell me where the references are in the Bible that they use to determine (except for this last one) when to try and conceive again? It is longer between the birth of a girl than a boy.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

The Bible doesn't say when to conceive. It just says to conceive. There's no instruction as to how many children you should have, but children are counted as blessings.

I like the Duggars. While I agree her system might have reached its limit due to her age (albeit I know a lot of very young women who have had pre-e and have had healthy pregnancies following), I don't think there is any reason they should ethically not have more children. They are living completely off of their own resources (and not just their show). They have no debt. I think they raise their children well, and there is nothing wrong with the older girls helping out with the babies. The boys don't just get away with playing... they have jobs to do too. It just depends on the kids attitude and upbringing. Some of them might not like it, but they don't have to go on like that once they are adults and move out.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #11  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Congrats to them. Pray this one comes out healthy.

My husband is #3 of 12. He loves his big family. I hope we can have maybe half that, I have unexplained infertility.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #12  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

She's 45 so potentially she could have 8 more kids by the time she's 53...if not menopausal later in life. Maybe then she'll get mechanically fertilized and have a kid every year till her uterus falls out. Pro life, pro choice, I really don't care where ya lean...its their own business, but its a bit much. Her husband must be quite the stud and she quite the dish ... at least to each other. Personally, the idea of that many pregnancies/deliveries frightens me. I'll shut up now.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Don't they think the problems they had with the last pregnancy are God saying, Michelle, enough already, you've done your bit? If they really feel they want to bring up more (of THEIR kind of) little Christian soldiers, why don't they adopt?

Right now, about the only "big announcement from the Duggars" I want to hear is Michelle saying "I've had menopause!"

Last edited by ANOther; 11-15-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #14  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
The Bible doesn't say when to conceive. It just says to conceive. There's no instruction as to how many children you should have, but children are counted as blessings.

I like the Duggars. While I agree her system might have reached its limit due to her age (albeit I know a lot of very young women who have had pre-e and have had healthy pregnancies following), I don't think there is any reason they should ethically not have more children. They are living completely off of their own resources (and not just their show). They have no debt. I think they raise their children well, and there is nothing wrong with the older girls helping out with the babies. The boys don't just get away with playing... they have jobs to do too. It just depends on the kids attitude and upbringing. Some of them might not like it, but they don't have to go on like that once they are adults and move out.
There's a difference between helping out and raising a child. There is a large age difference between me and my brother and I would help out, but I didn't raise my brother.

These girls raise their younger siblings and educate them. After a certain period of time Michelle and Jim Bob hand the child off to their daughters and go about their business. The girls do not have a choice in the matter.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #15  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

20 children is excessive. Passing on the younger children to the older ones is not right but that's how they chose to live their lives. I am all for pro-choice and pro-life. At least she isn't giving birth and allowing her babies to be abused.
Closed Thread