General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #16  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My elliptical trainer malfunctioned, catapulted me backward, and threw me into a closet door frame. I broke one vertebra in my neck, bruised the bones of my shoulder blade, and have had chronic muscular pain since (the muscles try to protect you from moving your neck when it's broken, so they tense/knot up...leave that long enough, say while your doctor waits a YEAR TO ACTUALLY DETERMINE your neck is broken, and those knots get encapsulated in scar tissue). I've had all kinds of treatments, including a steroid injection into my spinal column, regular injections into the knots themselves, etc.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #17  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

When I was 16 my family took it's first real vacation ever; to Maui. We were there only a couple days and did the road to Hana. On the way back I started to feel really sick. Finally after a crappy day or two of sitting around the hotel room my mom took me to the hotel doctor.... about 6 hours later I was in emerge recovering from having my appendix removed.

The crappy part was because we waited they had to do major surgery to remove your appendix - I guess if caught soon enough they can suck them out through your belly button like it is no big deal.

When I was waking up from the anaesthetic the doctor told me he sewed me up back up in the shape of a palm tree. I cried. It was my first time ever in a hospital and I was over 5000 miles from home.

I had to spend 4 nights in the hospital while my parents got to hang out on the beach - they did come visit. On the plus side for them we got to stay almost an extra week in Hawaii! haha

The cool part is, it makes for a good story. The sad part is - 10 years later, if it comes up my mom reminds me how much of a b!tch I was while in the hospital... um, I think I had every right - no? lol
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #18  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I had a St Patrick's Day drinking and dancing accident.

I went to see my local Irish band. As the night went on, naturally there was more and more beer spilled on the floor. I was up near the stage when a drunk guy grabbed me. What the heck, it's Paddy's Day, I'll dance with him. Then I slipped in some of the beer on the floor. He caught me so my a** didn't land in the puddle, but I tore my ACL. OUCH!!!

I am no longer allowed to drink and dance.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #19  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I wrecked snowmobiling last January and flew off my machine at 30+MPH and I broke 2 ribs. I was wearing body armor, too. Can't imagine how bad it would have been without the body armor.

You could say I'm a wee bit accident prone. My goal is to have no more incidents this year.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 AM   #20  
banned

When I was in 2nd grade, my cousins and I were crawling under the barbed-wire fence to go into the field like we did nearly every day, but this time I somehow managed to slice my right ankle open on the fence. I didn't feel much pain, but I remember looking down, and thinking that my ankle looked like it had a mouth! Then I started to freak out, and my older cousin, thinking I was just being whiny, came over berating me, until she looked at my bleeding ankle. She then had to carry me through the field, and back to my house, where my mom cleaned the rocks and dirt out of my wound with a Q-tip. Then we went to the hospital, and I had to have 5 stitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
(the muscles try to protect you from moving your neck when it's broken, so they tense/knot up...leave that long enough, say while your doctor waits a YEAR TO ACTUALLY DETERMINE your neck is broken, and those knots get encapsulated in scar tissue).
Hmmm. That's interesting that you say that, because when I was around 16-17 years old, my older, bigger cousin was playing around with me, showing off in front of his friend, who was actually my b/f at the time, and grabbed me by the ankle and wrist and tossed me over. I ended up landing on my head, but at an angle, and my now ex b/f said, at the time, that he heard a crack upon impact (he did have a habit of exaggerating, though, so I don't know if he did or not). Anyway, my neck didn't hurt massively, but a little, though. However, I've since developed a persistent stiffness in my neck that only sometimes feels not as stiff, but never actually goes away. The stiff pain flares up when it's cold or I'm stressed. My husband has tried massaging it away, and it does feel good when he does it, but as soon as he's done it's like it just tightens back up. Oh, he has to put a lot of pressure on it too. Once he accidentally bruised the back of my neck, because I kept asking him to rub harder. I've tried taking tramadol, but it really only gives me an airy, happy feeling, and doesn't exactly do much for my neck.

I HAVE had minor whip-lash from hitting an electrical pole when trying to drive once, but this pain only came weeks/months after what my cousin did. I wonder if maybe something broke in my neck. I never saw a doctor about it.

Then again, my mom has fibromalgia, so maybe I'm developing that, and it has nothing to do with my cousin's "wrestling move". I also have long, thick hair, and I've heard that could be pulling on my neck. My weight could be playing a factor too, and I'm sure that and my hair do play a role, but I'm sure there's other people with long hair and extra weight on them that don't suffer from a constant stiff neck.

Sorry for rambling. lol.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 11-04-2011 at 04:14 AM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #21  

I fell off an ostrich when I was 24 and broke my little finger. Seriously! This was me before I fell off and I was mad when my partner did not take one of me in the dust. He was too worried he said and dashed over instead of doing the right thing and recording my humiliation of posterity. What you dont see is the rows of wooden benches full of tourists who witnessed this event.

Last edited by Sinoia; 11-04-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinoia View Post
I fell off an ostrich when I was 24 and broke my little finger. Seriously! This was me before I fell off and I was mad when my partner did not take one of me in the dust. He was too worried he said and dashed over instead of doing the right thing and recording my humiliation of posterity. What you dont see is the rows of wooden benches full of tourists who witnessed this event.

Now that is one cool story!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote