General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/169/133

Height: 5'' 4

Default My parents meeting his parents AAAARGH :o

I didn't know where else to put this but any advice would be appreciated

Basically I'm turning 21 at the start of December and because my partner and I live away from our families we decided it would be easier to have one big dual family dinner rather than one with each family. This is better as we don't have a car we both work and I study as well so time really is tight :/

Anyway basically they have never met before and they are two very different sets of people. So I'm anxious as to how this is going to work should I tell them whats acceptable conversation e.g. no politics as his parents are out and out Conservative while my parents are Labor and I don't fancy a political debate at my birthday dinner.

Also his parents are quite into health and fitness where as my family are well, not. So I'm quite worried as to what they will make of each other :/

What do you think should I set up rules or just let them get on with it and hope for the best whilst desperately avoiding the amazing deli on the corner of my street :P

Sorry for the long post.
Pandabunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

No rules. You are probaby worrying over nothing.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #3  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
No rules. You are probaby worrying over nothing.
I agree.

You have met his parents, and he has met yours? They have just never met each other, right?

Being stressed is just going to make things unnecessarily tense. Relax and enjoy your birthday!
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you want to feel in control, come up with some topics of conversation where they're likely to agree (not politics or health!). Do they share any hobbies? Work in similar industries? Have any other neutral ground between them?

You can mentally list some topics of conversation to steer toward if things get awkward. That'll give you peace of mind. Probably, though, it will also be unnecessary, and everything will be fine.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #5  

Hi,

Trust both sets of parents to act appropriately. Each person is responsible for his /her own action so if something goes wrong it just will and the world will not come to an end.

You really cannot control other people anyway. If a touchy subject comes up you can try ot steer them away or do nothing.

You might have a very interesting evening . If you should marry this guy, there will be more so you might just as well face the situation now.

Good luck
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I agree with Amanda...make a list of topics to bring up that will keep everyone on target, and don't stress. That will just make things more awkward.

DH and I were talking about this the other day. Our families have literally never met. His mom and granny are very proper and easily embarrassed...my family is more than a little rough around the edges. I used to be able to verify that my dad wouldn't pass gas, burp or curse during an outing in public, but his filter has broken down as he has aged, and I can be about 75 percent sure he'll do one of the three in any given situation.

They'll be meeting for sure in May when I have the baby. I hope I'll be too busy to worry about the train wreck that's coming...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #7  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Nope. It seems that both sides of parents raised children that know how to appropriately handle themselves in public . You just have to trust that they know how to do the same.

I would suggest coming up with topics that you think everyone will feel comfortable talking about and just casually pop them in. I would not suggest handing out an agenda prior to dinner though, then it will just put everyone on edge. Good luck!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/169/133

Height: 5'' 4

Wow thanks for all the advice

I agree I am probably worrying a bit excessively
I think I'll definitely make a mental list of appropriate topics and use that if the conversation starts getting a bit heavy, and hopefully it will be great.

and any situation can be improved with wine
Pandabunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #9  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandabunnie View Post
and any situation can be improved with wine
or at least your outlook on the situation hahaha!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote