3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Stupid Rookie Mistake (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/245302-stupid-rookie-mistake.html)

kaplods 10-23-2011 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the support. I feel less stupid (but more committed to being smart).

I'm feeling a lot better physically too (except for weather-related joint pain). Most of the muscle soreness is gone. I'm flaring a bit, my joints are aching and I can't get "warm" but that's mostly my normal response to cold, damp weather.

Today, we went to the gym, and I got back on the elliptical - just to conquer my fear, more than anything (getting back on the horse, so to speak).

I did only a few minutes on the monster, but I was astonished at the difference in my balance (it made me want to do more, but I learned my lesson, and will increase my time on the machine gradually)

Sunday (mistake day) was my first time ever on an elliptical and from the very second I stepped on the machine, I felt like I was going to fall off it. I didn't dare let go of the handle grips, and I couldn't do more than one or two cycles without feeling I was going to tip over. I had to cycle very, very slowly because I felt like I was going to fall over if I didn't.

This time, I had decent balance not only getting on and off, but during my using the machine. I was actually able to use it the way it was designed to be used (even if in very slow motion).

It may explain why I felt so "off balance" while I was recovering. It may have been all my "balance muscles" healing.

I'll have to be careful, but if the elliptical helps me with balance issues, it will definitely be worth it (my balance is so bad that I usually fall at least three or four times every winter, sometimes a lot more than that - to the point that I'm afraid to leave my apartment at all when there's ice or snow on the ground).

I also tried a new machine that I absolutely fell in love with. I thought it was just a weird looking stationery bike, but I looked it up online when I got home, and it was the SciFit REX, Total Body Recumbent Elliptical. Essentially it is a cross between an elliptical and a stationery recumbent bicycle.

I couldn't believe how gentle it was on my knees, and how I could make it an upper body or lower-body workout just by shifting the effort from legs to arms, and vice versa.

I started slow on it too, but I think this is going to be awesome for flare days. Balance isn't an issue, because of the recumbent position, and it can be done at almost any speed or intensity (of course that also means it probably isn't going to help improve my balance.

I am a little disappointed that the regular exercise hasn't been the "cure" I think I was half-hoping for.

I noticed that the regular exercise was helping decrease the intensity and duration of pain flares, and so I was hoping that would continue through the winter. And it probably will, but not quite to the degree I had hoped. The weather changes are still beating me up, pretty badly.

Just getting out of bed has been more challenging with the colder, damper weather.

Any change in wheather, even good weather changes can trigger a flare, but damp and cold also aggravate my osteoarthritis and autoimmune joint issues - so there's a double or triple whammy.

Eventually, we may have to consider moving to a warmer and less variable climate (too bad I couldn't move all my doctors, friends and family with me).

I'm going to be have to be very careful at the gym through the winter though. I have to make progress slowly or I'll end up wasting too much time in recovery mode, or worse end up triggering a relapse of some of my worst health issues.

kaplods 10-31-2011 06:40 PM

Today I earned my sweatshirt!

It's awesome! It's just a sweatshirt, a hoodie pullover, but I'm really proud of it.

There was a guy in-line in front of me, and he had just completed the challenge too, and they didn't have a sweatshirt for him (they had run out of mediums - more people completed the challenge than they expected).

I was on pins and needles, thinking that they might have not printed enough of the 3X's or 4X's (I had asked for a 4X, but said I would take a 3X if they couldn't get a 4X - because when we signed up they hadn't had the shirts printed yet).

They didn't have a 4X, but the 3X fits fine (which is it's own milestone).

runningfromfat 10-31-2011 07:14 PM

Congrats!!!

crimsons 10-31-2011 08:36 PM

@Kaps, congrats!! I've gotten to know you from your posts, and you are so knowledgeable. I'm a big fan of podcasts, and was just listening to a really inspiring one from someone who's working through her weight loss and fitness, and sharing all that she's learned to help others. Ever consider doing something like that?

BillBlueEyes 10-31-2011 08:43 PM

Honking Kudos for that sweatshirt, Kudos.

sontaikle 10-31-2011 08:52 PM

Congrats Kaplods! I'm glad you got that sweatshirt!

kaplods 10-31-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsons (Post 4091395)
@Kaps, congrats!! I've gotten to know you from your posts, and you are so knowledgeable. I'm a big fan of podcasts, and was just listening to a really inspiring one from someone who's working through her weight loss and fitness, and sharing all that she's learned to help others. Ever consider doing something like that?

I'm a bit technologically impaired. I can't even figure out facebook, but I have started laying some groundwork for an autobiographical weight loss book. The working title is "Accidental Weight loss" (because that's how my journey started, by losing 20 lbs without trying to. At the time I was convinced that I couldn't lose weight without eventurally gaining it back and more.

It was a dilemma because I'd never lost weight permanently before, and I was afraid to "diet" because I knew that only resulted in weight gain - but I didn't know what to do instead.

I still was convinced that trying to lose weight wasn't going to work. So I had to find a way to try to do something besides lose weight. So I decided instead of trying to lose weight, I would try to do things that were good for me and might (as an added benefit) result in the side effect of weight loss.

Weight loss became one of the rewards (and not even the biggest one) and not the goal.

I believe this is a potential "secret" for a lot of people - making the weight a non-issue (or as small of one as possible).

I still use weight as a measure of success, but it's no longer my only one. If I never lose another pound, but gain strength, stamina, and reduce pain and other health issue symptoms, I still will be succeeding.

I now see weight pretty much like I do blood pressure, blood sugar, triglycerides and cholesterol levels. Only one small, isolated measure of my health. My primary goal isn't weight loss, it's improved health - and I'm happy to reap the rewards - including better lab results and a smaller body.

I don't know how well that will do as a "diet book," because I'm not sure most people are willing to give up weight loss as the primary goal. I'm not sure people are ready to hear "lose weight by not trying to lose weight at all - infact lose weight by NOT worrying about your weight at all or at least get healthier in any size of body you have."

It's working for me, though.

Whether or not I'll ever finish or publish the book, writing it has been helpful to me - because putting what I believe into writing and then rereading it, helps me focus my purpose.

I do like losing weight, but I'm a little sad that it's the only measure of a healthy lifestyle that gets any credit or cultural value at all. Everyone cares and wants to know how I've lost weight, but not so many care or wonder how I've improved my health, functioning, and pain level.

It's sad to me that weight loss is seen as more important than the other benefits I've earned - "the really cool stuff" about living a healthier lifestyle.

We make it all about the least important part.

goal4agirl 11-01-2011 02:45 AM

Yay! You wear that sweatshirt proud darlin! You sure did earn it!!
I sure can tell cold weather has arrived- my hip joints have really been hurting me. Because of Crohns Disease I have been on prednisone off and on for years...well it really does a number on your bones and joints. And the disease it self is a cousin to arthritis- so I feel your pain.
But you are doing great ~ Congratulations :D

Stepping Out 11-01-2011 03:33 AM

Congrats Kaplods!

Enjoy your sweatshirt & wear it with pride. You've worked long and hard to reach your goal..and the sweatshirt will be the least of the rewards that you reap! :D

Congratulations again! :carrot:

fatferretfanatic 11-01-2011 12:42 PM

Congrats on that sweatshirt. You earned it, and you should hold your head up high. Great job!