General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #31  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I wonder how many people who have been classified as "food addicts" actually are "sugar addicts"? I wonder how it would impact the Nation if everyone saw that video? I bet a lot of people would make some real changes, and I think that the food producers would have to start cleaning up what they put in the foods if they still wanted to sell it here.
I would guess a lot. Sugar is very addictive and it really sneaks up with you over time. You start with a chocolate bar a week, then it turns to once a day, then a bigger one once a day etc. Looking back at college, it really shocks me how much I ate (but I was still in the healthy range because I was just so active). However, many (actually most) of my friends at the same way.

I do wonder if it would change people. I'm sure some would feel guilt/shame at the very least for eating too much sugar but to change one's mindset it really takes a lot. It took me a long time to start fixing my weight problem even though I knew how bad sugar and, well, all the junk I was eating was for me.

Quote:
I wonder how many mothers would feed formula if they knew it was the equivalent of a baby milkshake, or how many pregnant women would drink soda if they knew they were setting their unborn children up for a lifetime of sugar cravings and the associated health problems?
The formula thing is a much more complicated issue. There are a lot of barriers to breastfeeding that affect moms from before they even give birth. I could write a huge, long post on this but I'll spare you the long story and tell you that both society and hospitals need to provide MUCH more support for new moms. Maternity leaves should be longer, pumps should be cheaper (or better yet covered by insurance!), hospitals should be required to have at least one certified lactation consultant on staff, etc. Add to this that many new moms don't have friends/relatives that nursed themselves so they can't even go to their friends/family for support.

I know many moms who would've loved to nursed but didn't have any one locally to help with latching problems etc and eventually gave up. Oh, and don't even get me started with the number of formula samples that are sent to you the second you even start buying maternity clothes....
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #32  

On the breastfeeding issue, some moms just don't produce enough milk. My mom was like that when she had me - I was more or less starving for 6 months (and had colic) because I wasn't getting enough to eat. I was an ok weight, so neither her or her doctor thought anything was out of the normal apart from colic.

When she had my sister, she had about 3 times the amount of milk she had with me, to the point it was almost too much.

I think she did put me on formula, but not for long. I'd have to ask her.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #33  
banned

Thanks, runningfromfat, I'm glad to know that. I buy the cheapest frozen veggies that are just veggies, nothing else. I recently got a chest freezer and have been stocking up for making lots of soup when it starts to get cold.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #34  

I finally finished watching this (at work no less, oops) and I have to say:

Wow

My mind is officially blown. I knew HFCS was bad for you - I just didn't know HOW bad. How all those Cokes I've drank.. I may as well been having beer.

It's really, really given me some thought into what I eat, and how I am going to look more carefully at it.

Fructose is officially off my list as a 'common occurence' food and will now be treated like alcohol: seldom indulgence.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 295/257/160

Height: 5'8"

It makes sense to me. I am diabetic and used to get horrible sugar cravings. I have been doing the South Beach Diet, which is no sugar, limited complex carbs, and limited fruit too. You eat certain foods to keep your insulin levels down but you lose weight and it's working. I don't think it's just the sugar though. I think it's the sugar, as well as all the fast food and processed food that is making America and the whole Nation obese. We all have to start changing for good. Eat whole foods, cook at home, feed our kids better. It starts with small changes.
Brooke Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #36  
banned

The sad thing is, every time I try to cut sugar or processed junk out completely, I get the most intense cravings and usually end up binging. It's just hard to say no to those cravings, and I don't have a lot of things to distract me from eating (not to mention eating those types of foods is one of the only things that actually make me feel good).
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #37  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serval87 View Post
The sad thing is, every time I try to cut sugar or processed junk out completely, I get the most intense cravings and usually end up binging. It's just hard to say no to those cravings, and I don't have a lot of things to distract me from eating (not to mention eating those types of foods is one of the only things that actually make me feel good).
Yes but...what does that tell you? I have the same issue and what I took it to mean was that I was behaving like an addict for sugar. I force myself not to give into cravings because it's a never ending cycle if you do. I think if you go a week or so without processed foods and without a bunch of sugar, you can bust through those cravings. I've been very strict lately- the only sugar I allow myself is a piece of fresh fruit. I do eat complex carbs like brown rice, beans, etc. but right now no simple carbs except for 1 piece of fresh fruit (if that) per day.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #38  
June

Quote:
Yes but...what does that tell you? I have the same issue and what I took it to mean was that I was behaving like an addict for sugar. I force myself not to give into cravings because it's a never ending cycle if you do. I think if you go a week or so without processed foods and without a bunch of sugar, you can bust through those cravings. I've been very strict lately- the only sugar I allow myself is a piece of fresh fruit. I do eat complex carbs like brown rice, beans, etc. but right now no simple carbs except for 1 piece of fresh fruit (if that) per day.
This. When I gave up sugar I treated it like I was in AA. I gave it up cold turkey and wouldn't let myself be around it at all. At that point I wasn't watching my diet beyond cutting out sugar so I really put all my emphasis into that. I went about a week in the beginning with no fruit either and I also gave up artificial sweeteners too. That way I desensitized my body to sweet flavors. Even now (well, over a year later), I just don't like stuff that is super sweet anymore. I'm happy to eat plain yogurt with fruit in it, for instance.

That first week was HORRIBLE! I think I drank way too much coffee and ate way too much bread with butter to compensate but eventually the cravings died down and then I started working on the rest of my diet. However, I really did need to concentrate fully on NO SUGAR because I was that addicted (before I gave it up I was eating an entire bag of chocolate chips in 1-2 days and could easily down an entire bag of chocolate riesens in one sitting). I would really feel sick going a day without sugar and it would be on my mind ALL THE TIME.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #39  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

I started watching it about a week ago and I am back listening to it again.

When I started changing my eating habits back in August, I stopped the junk food eating. It was a rough two weeks. Now, I do not crave the sweets at work.

Prior to my new way of eating, I had uncontrollable wants for sweets when I saw them at work. It was bad!

Try getting off of junk food and soda drinks and tell me how you feel after a few weeks.
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #40  

I did really good the first week or so on my plan, but I got incredible headaches, fatigue, fogginess, etc. Now, I'm craving sugar like there's no tomorrow and I've given in on unfortunately more than one occasion. I know it's a matter of willpower, but I apparently have none.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #41  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgirl View Post
I did really good the first week or so on my plan, but I got incredible headaches, fatigue, fogginess, etc. Now, I'm craving sugar like there's no tomorrow and I've given in on unfortunately more than one occasion. I know it's a matter of willpower, but I apparently have none.
Just a quick question... are you eating enough protein? Are you drinking enough water? Getting enough sleep? Sugar really is very addictive and the best time to try to give it up is a time where you don't have a lot of stress and can take care of yourself (but also have enough distractions so you're not thinking about it all the time too!). It does take awhile to get rid of the cravings but I'm telling you suffering for a bit is definitely worth it long term.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Just a quick question... are you eating enough protein? Are you drinking enough water? Getting enough sleep? Sugar really is very addictive and the best time to try to give it up is a time where you don't have a lot of stress and can take care of yourself (but also have enough distractions so you're not thinking about it all the time too!). It does take awhile to get rid of the cravings but I'm telling you suffering for a bit is definitely worth it long term.
The plan I am on right now (but considering scrapping b/c it's just too restrictive) and have been on for 2 weeks now is high protein, high veggies, low carb. Two pieces of fruit a day is all you're allowed. Lean meat with every meal (Chicken, turkey, or salmon). So for example, I'll have 2 eggs in the morning, or a cup of kefir, for breakfast followed by chicken stir fry sans rice for lunch, followed by grilled salmon with lots of veggies for dinner. A second serving of probiotic and 2 servings of fruit constitute snacks.

I drink anywhere from 1 L to 1-1/2 L of water a day and I get roughly 10 hours of sleep.

I did really good Day 1-9. But since then, I can't control it. I eat enough, I'm never "hungry", but always comfortably full, but I still crave and succumb to the craving. Last night, I had 2 ice cream sandwhiches, came home had a can of Coke, and a chocolate bar, and spaghetti. Although, I didn't really enjoy the chocolate bar, was way too sweet. I think I'm almost over my coke addiction - I've had pop lately but I haven't really tasted it. It's been like an automatic thing; I drink it but I don't taste it. But everything else? I'm hopeless.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #43  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgirl View Post
The plan I am on right now (but considering scrapping b/c it's just too restrictive) and have been on for 2 weeks now is high protein, high veggies, low carb. Two pieces of fruit a day is all you're allowed. Lean meat with every meal (Chicken, turkey, or salmon). So for example, I'll have 2 eggs in the morning, or a cup of kefir, for breakfast followed by chicken stir fry sans rice for lunch, followed by grilled salmon with lots of veggies for dinner. A second serving of probiotic and 2 servings of fruit constitute snacks.

I drink anywhere from 1 L to 1-1/2 L of water a day and I get roughly 10 hours of sleep.

I did really good Day 1-9. But since then, I can't control it. I eat enough, I'm never "hungry", but always comfortably full, but I still crave and succumb to the craving. Last night, I had 2 ice cream sandwhiches, came home had a can of Coke, and a chocolate bar, and spaghetti. Although, I didn't really enjoy the chocolate bar, was way too sweet. I think I'm almost over my coke addiction - I've had pop lately but I haven't really tasted it. It's been like an automatic thing; I drink it but I don't taste it. But everything else? I'm hopeless.
Why not try something in between? Leave the sweets off but let yourself have carbs. You can always work your way up to low carb but you don't necessarily have to go cold turkey. One thing that really helped me be able to give up sweets once and for all was to not restrict my other foods (although I did stick to only whole wheat, no white flour). Then when I was ready and felt like I had the sugar cravings under control, I was able to cut back more on other things.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I think the issue here is that you have to change your habits.

For example, those two pieces of fruit you're having as snacks, are you pairing that with protein?

Because even high sugar fruit can send you into that spiral of craving sweets later.

The other things that you can do is that when you have a craving for something sweet, you grab something salty instead. You eat, okay, but you're now not letting your "craving" win.

So, if you're craving those ice cream sandwiches, grab some beef jerky instead. Your body will be like, "huh?" but eventually it will get the message that craving sweets does not equal getting sweets.

Psychologically, you've made it more desirable than what your body is really craving for, because you've been so restrictive.

Lick some salt if you don't want to eat the calories!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #45  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I think the issue here is that you have to change your habits.

For example, those two pieces of fruit you're having as snacks, are you pairing that with protein?

Because even high sugar fruit can send you into that spiral of craving sweets later.
Really good point. I always eat fruit with something else (normally fruit + cottage cheese is my go to snack).