General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default xanax ?

Odd question for the forum, but here goes.

At 8pm I took a .5 mg xanax (generic). At 11pm I took my nightly 5mg ambien (also generic). I had the xanax left over from a few my doc prescribed this summer for several cross country flights.

I had a long stressful week (back to school plus no power for 4 days with hurricane), however, after taking both I wondered if it's ok.

I realize this isn't a medical board and you all aren't drs and pharmacists, but has anyone taken this and do you think it's ok?

Read very mixed messages online about this. Just want to get in bed and sleep but wondering if I should stay up and make sure I'll be ok.

Anyone? So grateful for comments on this... thanks!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I have prescriptions for Xanax ER-1mg and Ambien 10mg - I don't take them anymore; however, I've done the same thing in the past with higher doses with no ill effect (other than drowsiness in the morning, but Xanax always does that to me). Not optimal to take them so close together, but I, personally, never had any issues.

Both are quick acting, so stay up for a bit to put your mind at ease - but I was always A-okay is such situations.

Last edited by Lunula; 09-01-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #3  

Thanks so much for responding! I feel much more at ease.

I took the xanax 4.5 hours ago and the ambien 1.5 ago (and not big doses), so I'm going to bed.

By the way, I love Tom Robbins -- Jitterbug Perfume is my fav.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #4  

Should I also add that around 9 I took a unisom and ashawaghanda (herbal anti anxiety). Geesh, not sure why I took all of that except habit. The xanax was the only thing I am not used to taking.

Still think it's ok? xanax .5 at 8pm. unisom and ashawaghanda at 9pm. 5 mg. ambien at 11pm.

??

Thanks!!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #5  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

You'll probably be one drowsy human, but other than that, you should be fine. I've given way more than this to patients and the only thing it made them do was rest peacefully for an evening!

Lie down and rest! imo
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Ambien works quickly so I always lay down right away after taking it (within 10 min.). If you took it 1.5 hours ago and were still online after that, I wouldn't think it was very effective for you . The 5 mg dose usually works right away for me.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #7  

Thanks, everyone! I was fine, just had a moment of worry (need to start meditating again!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Ambien works quickly so I always lay down right away after taking it (within 10 min.). If you took it 1.5 hours ago and were still online after that, I wouldn't think it was very effective for you . The 5 mg dose usually works right away for me.
Murph - yes, it works quickly for me too. However, I got myself so worked up about the possible drug interaction that it kept me up despite the effects of it. I did eventually go to sleep and all was well.