What to Wear to a Job Interview????

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I vote for a nice dress or a pair of black pants with a silk-type blouse in a pattern that has some color but is not too flashy. I think a suit is too stuffy for a summer interview, unless you are interviewing at a law firm or a bank. I'd try Kohl's or JCP for an outfit - you can probably find something nice at one of those stores and mine have a good selection of larger sizes on the racks.
  • I work in the professional world and I've become quite the pro at interviewing!
    Anything business professional is acceptable. Nice slacks and blouse, a suit!
    Make your self comfortable and professional at the same time!
    and Most Important!...
    GOOD LUCK!
  • eek!
    don't show ANY cleavage!
  • I'd go for the suit. I don't agree with overdressing, I would say be conservative but not boring. A simple suit , can be a pantsuit with a nice blouse underneath, the blouse could be red depending on the color of the suit. If you don't want to wear a suit a pair of well tailored slacks with a simple top.Even if you hate panty hose , wear them, no flip flops, no stilettos, no dangly earrings. Pearl or gold studs or a small hoop earring are OK.Be sure you have no ripped seams and everything is well pressed.Do not chew gum and do not wear perfume. Basically wear something simple, tailored but not severe. Good luck.
  • Quote: .Do not chew gum and do not wear perfume. Basically wear something simple, tailored but not severe. Good luck.
    It seems like this would be a forgone conclusion but it isn't. I've seen too many people come in for interviews and the poor people in HR could hardly wait for them to leave because the perfume or cologne was overwhelming. Don't wear any! If you are interviewing anywhere that has a clean room nearby, you may be precluded because of scents. This goes for men as well as women.

Chewing gum! Really! You can't leave it out for a few minutes? I saw a woman come in for an interview and she put her gum on the clasp of her purse and put it back into her mouth on her way out the door. Nope. No job at our company for her.

Good luck. Let us know what happens. What type of job are you seeking?
  • I wear a blouse, a pencil skirt and a cardigan just to make things a little more casual. I'm finding office dress codes to be very mixed, with some interviews I've been to preferring suits and others being completely casual so I try to cut it somewhere in the middle. I just feel a black cardigan makes you a little more comfortable and casual.

I've always worn a small amount of solid perfume on my wrists. I hope it's not too over powering.
  • Even if your interviewers aren't wearing suits, a suit is always a good idea. Please, please no cleavage or anything too tight. And be on time.
  • Quote: And be on time.
    Amen to that! Be a little early. Little meaning 10 - 15 minutes. If they are going to require you to fill out an application, that 15 minutes would be used there. If they go by your resume alone, then you'll be fine.
  • I say a suit, but if it's particularly hot and semi casual, you can get away with this kind of outfit
  • What happened with the interview?