Any other musicians out there?

• I'm a music nerd, and was wondering if there were any other musicians out there. If you do, tell us about your instrument(s) and what style(s) you like to play in.
    In case you couldn't tell by my name, I play the fiddle. No, I don't play bluegrass or oldtime (though nice as they are), I play New England style (especially the traditional tunes of the state of Maine). Simply put, it is a combination of Irish, Scottish, and French Canadian/Maritime styles. Lately, I've really fallen in love with Quebecois style fiddling. Lots of energy! I wonder if playing the fiddle counts as exercise? lol
    Anyone else?

Sara
  • i am learning piano and passed my grade two back in march, i love all sorts of music tbh but from a piano perspective you cant beat a pretty little walz

shaz
  • Hey, it's great to see a music thread!

I've been all over the map in terms of instruments - my longest standing commitment is to the oboe (Strauss oboe concertos are my guilty pleasure), but in more recent years I've fallen off of it somewhat for the sake of singing (I'm a mezzo, German works by Schubert and Bach are my favorite). I've just graduated from undergrad with a bachelors in music & anthropology, and i'm going to grad school at UC Davis in the fall for ethnomusicology (I want to study Haitian music, probably rap). So, yes. Many disparate activities united by my love of music
  • Quote: you cant beat a pretty little walz

shaz
    I love waltzes! So pretty and fun to play.
  • I'm not a fiddler but I'd really like to expand my violin abilities. I learned classical/orchestral and played in school from age 10. Did a couple years in college and since I've been in Japan for 3 years am playing with guitarists and other instrumentalists doing rock, metal and pop type stuff - after being a slave to sheet music for 10 years I am finally freeing my mind and ear training. Most recently I taught myself "Orion" by Metallica, "Kids Return" by Joe Hisaishi, and a bunch of video game soundtrack music.
  • I played the clarinet when I was a kid for about 2 years or so. Just recently picked one up and have been practicing it to get back up to speed. I don't really have a "style" yet, but I really like the way jazz sounds on it.

I also picked up a banjo and have been learning clawhammer. I'm really slow at learning it though. And our apartment complex doesn't allow noise....sssssshhhhhhhhhh.
  • Quote: I love waltzes! So pretty and fun to play.
    i learnt the sleeping beauty waltz for my exam lovely piece of music
  • I started playing the violin in 3rd grade. In middle school I learned how to play the cello. I absolutely LOVE the cello. However, my life has been insanely busy the last few years and have been unable to play regularly. I miss playing and I ache to play it. I just can't seem to take the time to play it. I need to!

I think I will add that to my list of things to get doing, just don't know when
  • I found a great benefit to fiddle music: lots of great (and really fast) jigs and reels that I can exercise to!