3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   I can't believe it! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/238252-i-cant-believe.html)

Chubbykins 07-16-2011 03:09 PM

I can't believe it!

So I love watching documentaries and educating series. Often I stumble upon series that are supposed to be educational but end up being a pile of rubbish on tape.

Today I discovered one of those crappy shows. It is called "You are what you eat".
It begins with a man describing an obese woman featured in each episode like some nasty high school bully. Degrading comments are made all the time, adjectives like "disgusting, lazy" etc are thrown around constantly and the poor obese person gets treated like some criminal.
If that wasn't enough the so called "nutritionist" throws around her garbage advice. "Your body can't do anything with sugar" "The preservatives you eat will preserve your body if you die" are just examples of uneducated quotes.

And there is more. On the show they take samples of the obese "victim's" feces and talk about how much it stinks.

I hadn't heard a claim like "fat people's feces stinks more" before and decided, as always, to check how much truth there is to it.

The result was that instead of finding any scientific evidense I found sites with people cursing at fat people in general, or specifically about fat ex wives/husbands, fat friends and so on.

Days like these make me feel pretty sad for our species. It comes as no surprise to me of course that we are an intolerant bunch of creatures and how easily we accept pseudo-scientific crap just to fit it into a childish point of view...

I feel very, very sad...
How many people's lives are being ruined just because some oversized under-brained bullies can't find a hobby! :mad:

iHeartU 07-16-2011 03:17 PM

Reminds me of high school...which is probably why I didn't go 50 percent of the time.

kaplods 07-16-2011 03:59 PM

I haven't met anyone who's **** didn't stink. What did they expect it to smell like, roses?

Lovely 07-16-2011 04:08 PM

What's that Albert Einstein Quote...

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

Kaonashi 07-16-2011 04:13 PM

I've watched that show and I have to admit that it turned me off hotdogs to the point that I rarely eat them now. On a lot of the episodes they actually go over what's in the processed food we eat- and it's things that any normal person would WANT to know.

I think I've seen the episode that you're talking about, and I think the point wasn't that her feces stunk because she was fat; they stunk because that particular person was eating nothing but a ton of processed food and meats...which CAN make your poop smell worse. I haven't seen the episodes with the guy host (the ones I watched had a woman host who, while not being particularly pleasant wasn't calling people names either) but it's very much a "tough love" sort of show not fit for everyone's taste. For some people the kittyfoot approach doesn't work and they need to know what sort of effect their diet is having on them other than weight gain.

Chubbykins 07-16-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaonashi (Post 3940079)
I've watched that show and I have to admit that it turned me off hotdogs to the point that I rarely eat them now. On a lot of the episodes they actually go over what's in the processed food we eat- and it's things that any normal person would WANT to know.

I think I've seen the episode that you're talking about, and I think the point wasn't that her feces stunk because she was fat; they stunk because that particular person was eating nothing but a ton of processed food and meats...which CAN make your poop smell worse. I haven't seen the episodes with the guy host (the ones I watched had a woman host who, while not being particularly pleasant wasn't calling people names either) but it's very much a "tough love" sort of show not fit for everyone's taste. For some people the kittyfoot approach doesn't work and they need to know what sort of effect their diet is having on them other than weight gain.

I saw two episodes before I gave up, one with "Yvonne" and one with "Laura" as the obese person featured. They even called poor Laura, "Lardy Laura" and could not stop mentioning that Yvonne contributed to the greenhouse effect with her Gasses.
Perhaps I happened to find the worst episodes, but for me this is nasty enough not to check out the rest.
I'm not fickle about words like fat and unhealthy, but it is a whole other dimension to call someone lazy, lardy, stinky, disgusting and so on just because they carry more body fat.

I would be truly worried about a person that needs to be mentally tortured to lose weight. Or even worse be degraded because they have a health issue! :(

Heleninedinburgh 07-18-2011 06:05 AM

'Dr' Gillian McKeith is horrible...also she has very little real knowledge about nutrition. I think 'supersize vs superskinny' is a far better show as Dr Christian Jessen ( a real doctor) tackles the psychological issues people have with their weight, which is very important, and he looks at the reasons why people overeat rather than bullying them. He is also sympathetic to everyone which is important.

theCandEs 07-18-2011 06:47 AM

It's times like these when I'm glad I don't have cable.

3FCer344892 07-21-2011 12:07 PM

I used to watch that show all the time. It inspired me to eat healthier (at least while I watched it. lol), but I admit, the nutritionist was a bit intimidating.

98DaysOfSummer 07-21-2011 12:20 PM

The "nutritionist" has some pretty dubious "credentials" and her obsession with "poo" is just freaky. Her "science" is pretty much made up. She also looks like she's gong to fall into a million brittle pieces at any moment, no doubt because a person can't ACTUALLY survive on kale broth and air.

I don't feel too bad for the "victims" because that show has been on a long time, they've seen it and they asked to be on it. They're getting exactly what they expected. I am sad that they apparently think you have to be insulted on television to lose weight but what can you do. People line up and beg to be on Biggest Loser and it's certainly just as insulting and exploitative.