General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Kaplods-It turned out really gummy with the brownie mix. So it's hard to say how it might change the gluten-free cake mix. Maybe you can find one on sale sometime. Do they make a gluten-free flour substitute you could bake a from-scratch cake with?
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #17  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

kaplods, thank you so much for this pumpkin idea! I absolutely can't wait to try it out! I'm going to wait a bit because I already had 3 slices of brownie today! I kind of went crazy with it! I still have 5 left and I'm soooo longing for it, but at 150 calories a slice, I can't afford the calorie price anymore.

I really hope you can find some good gluten free mix on sale sometime.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are a lot of gluten-free flours and baking mixes, and I've started experimenting with some of them. Mostly I've tried making bread because I miss it more than anything else. Growing up, cakes and most desserts were really only for holidays, and if we did have dessert any other time of the year, it tended to be gelatin, pudding, or fruit. If I have sweets in the house, I will eat and overeat them, but if they're not there I don't miss them (unlike bread, which I so badly miss).

My husband used to buy two loaves of bread from Great Harvest Bread Company almost every week. They would give free samples that were large and tasty enough to be lunch. I especially loved their potato chive bread.

So far, I've not had any great success with my gluten-free experiments, but my expectations are pretty high. Udi's makes a better gluten-free bread than I've been able to make. So we buy that and keep it in the freezer (the gluten-free breads spoil faster. Fewer preservatives, I've been told). I hate paying $7 for half a loaf of bread, so I'll probably keep experimenting. They pizza crusts are really good too.

I made rice shortbread cookies that were pretty good.

Talking about the pumpkin chocolate muffins has made me really crave them, so I may have to buy a gluten-free cake mix to try it with.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimicat76 View Post
like the title says =P my bday is july 6th and ive been trying to figure out what i could get for a cake that wont totally kill my diet. and i know i could cheat a day but i would really like to avoid that =)
A box of cake mix and 1 can of diet soda. Nothing else. just soda and bake it for the time on the box. I tried this with my step daughter, and we topped them with Reddi Whip whipped cream. The calories only come from the cake mix itself and the wipped cream.
We did a vanilla cake with a lemon lime soda which made it taste like a twinkie You could also make one with chocolate and a cherry soda, or whatever floats your boat.

I was pretty surprised at how good it came out!

If its a special occasion, than go for a piece of cake, and just make sure everyone takes the leftovers home with them.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #20  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

The pumpkin-cake mix muffins come out really great. My kids love them. I think I got the recipe from a Hungry Girl book. I've never tried them with other types of cake mix besides chocolate.

I'm doing low carb now, not low fat, so I don't make them too much anymore. Still, my oldest asks me to make them once in awhile.

Last edited by theCandEs; 06-26-2011 at 10:02 AM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Talking about the pumpkin chocolate muffins has made me really crave them, so I may have to buy a gluten-free cake mix to try it with.
You're making ME crave them! I might have to go out and get a cake mix as well. Omnom!!!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote