Count Down to Bridesmaid Dress ordering!

• Okay ladies! This is to help keep my accountable.

I need to loose enough weight by December 1st to fit into a size 12 BM dress from David's Bridal. (we all know they fit super small!!!)

Currently, I fit into a size 16! We are going to order the dresses 7 months out. I'm sooo worried I won't loose enough by then. I'm going to try so hard!!

My main question is, if I make it down to a 12 by then, should I order the 12 even if I probably will continue to lose weight for the 7 months after that up until the wedding? AH! This is already stressing me out! Is it easier to order something a little small or order it bigger and then pay a ton of $$ to take it in if it's too big?! HELP!

Anyone else in the same boat? Would love to have some people join me in shedding pounds for the wedding!! (either your own or one your a MOH or BM in!)
  • I didn't end up getting a BM dress at David's bridal, but almost... they told me they could take a dress in up to 2 sizes. I had the same dilemma you're describing. My plan was going to be to order one size smaller than I was at the time of measuring. I knew I could continue to lose because I'd already lost like 60 pounds. In the end, my gracious bride allowed us to pick any dress we wanted in the right color. I was able to wait till closer to the wedding and buy what fit off the rack. I'm soooo glad because my weight loss stalled out and I would not have fit into the smaller dress that I might have ordered! So, not terribly helpful post here, I know! :O Sorry! I'd be nervous about ordering way too small though... it can always be taken in.
  • I would go with the bigger size and have it taken in just so I didn't feel so pressured. I eat under pressure but for some buying the smaller size would be great motivation.
  • I'd go with the larger size. I'd rather see them have to take it in a little, then let it out if I don't lose weight in the same areas.
  • Quote: Okay ladies! This is to help keep my accountable.

I need to loose enough weight by December 1st to fit into a size 12 BM dress from David's Bridal. (we all know they fit super small!!!)

Currently, I fit into a size 16! We are going to order the dresses 7 months out. I'm sooo worried I won't loose enough by then. I'm going to try so hard!!

My main question is, if I make it down to a 12 by then, should I order the 12 even if I probably will continue to lose weight for the 7 months after that up until the wedding? AH! This is already stressing me out! Is it easier to order something a little small or order it bigger and then pay a ton of $$ to take it in if it's too big?! HELP!

Anyone else in the same boat? Would love to have some people join me in shedding pounds for the wedding!! (either your own or one your a MOH or BM in!)

You order the dress size you are when you order the actual dress. Remember that bridesmaid dresses run larger then regular dresses. Also keep in mind it is MUCH easier to take a dress in than it is to let a dress out. I knew someone who said she wore a 14, ordered a 14 bridesmaid dress, she couldn't fit into it, cause the dresses ran small. She had to have her dress taken out. I couldn't tell it had to be taken out, but knew it was harder and thus I'm sure it cost even more than my dress, which had to be taken in.....twice.
  • I'm with you! My size 12 bridesmaid dress showed up on June 17th... from David's Bridal! You're kind of my twin I'm hoping to get down to that 2 sizes down limit! I think once I get down to about 135 I will go back in to the store and fake that I need to try on an 8 and a 10 just to see where I'm at!
  • I was in a wedding last year...It was difficult in choosing a size because the wedding was in Wisconsin and I'm in California so I couldn't even see if the dresses ran large or small. I ended up just ordering one size down for "motivation" and if I didn't lose the weight I could still have it let out.
    Well. Fast forward to wedding day and the dress fit like a glove. I'm sooo glad I didn't go anymore than one size because one, I didn't need even more stress in my life than what was going on at that time and two...I can't even imagine what would have happened if I had say, hit a plateau and the dress didn't fit. The design of my dress didn't really allow much wiggle room to be let out because of the pattern and beading.
    I don't know...to me there are lines between motivation and un needed stress. Just remember that plateaus happen, and sometimes for months at a time. Being stressed out about fitting into a dress would make the always crappy plateau even worse.
  • I had a similar situation two years ago when I started this whole weight loss thing (needed to buy a bm dress from David's, was losing weight). At first, I fit into the 16 and ended up ordering the 12 which fit at the time I ordered it (I was planning on having it taken in as I lost more) but as it turned out, the samples in the store get a little stretched out (or quality control isn't all that great) because I lost another 10lbs or so and the 12 fit like a glove when it arrived. Actually, a buddy of mine who didn't lose weight in that same time period had to go to crazy efforts to fit into her 12. YMMV but wanted to mention it as it wasn't something I expected. I'm sure you'll look gorgeous whatever you decide to do!
  • Bridesmaid dress shopping was one of my last straws for getting serious about losing weight. Vanity sizing is DEAD in bridal wear. I was wearing size 20-22 jeans at the time, and I was going to have to order a size 28 bridesmaid dress and have it altered to drape properly over my belly. (I'm apple shaped). I ordered that &@$%#%@ size 28, just hoping I wouldn't need it altered. By the time the dress came in, I was down about 25 pounds, and the dress is HUGE on me! I would not have wanted the pressure of trying to get into a smaller dress, and it is much easier to have a dress taken in than let out.

Just my 2 cents worth - keep up the good work!