Things that Annoy you

You're on Page 4 of 12
Go to
  • People who take credit for what they haven't done.

People that don't give personal space.

Shoes that only come in sizes to 10. It's not fair to have big feet and not be able to get cute shoes!
  • People that think everyone has a right to their own opinion....as long as it agrees with theirs.

People that think I am a "hater" just because I don't believe their beliefs are something I want my GRANDdaughter to be taught in school.

People that tell me all about my religion when they have never entered my church or read my Bible.

My guys at work that NEVER remember to bring their time cards on time day...they never forget to cash their checks that the time card is mailed with!

Charitys that call me, asking for $$$, with one star ratings!
  • Oh! Oh! Yes! I forgot about rude retail customers! Krampus, I'm so glad you brought that one up.

It is astonishing how many people just do not think of retail sales clerks as human beings at all. At least, that's what I assume they're thinking, because they feel free to gab on their phones, fail to acknowledge a polite greeting or even make eye contact, and make no attempt to pick up stuff they knock over because "that's her job, not mine."

If they get ticked off for whatever reason--you failed to give them a cash return for a credit card purchase, you put the receipt in the bag, you didn't put the receipt in the bag but handed it to them instead, you wished them "happy holidays" as the corporate drones told you to do and they don't like that phrase because they celebrate Christmas/Hanukkah/Yule/Festivus and how dare you not be sensitive to their religious beliefs!?--expect a lecture. If they get really ticked off, expect merchandise (or worse) to get thrown at you. I still have a little scar on my face near my temple where an irate customer winged me with a bible because I offered her store credit instead of cash.

It really burns me up when people are heedlessly, needlessly rude to salespeople and wait-staff at restaurants. It astonishes me how many people who are otherwise decent become little emperors and empresses when they shop or dine out, expecting to be served without ever acknowledging "the help" with anything like graciousness, dignity, or even a shred of tepid courtesy.

It just makes me want to shout, "We live in a theoretically classless society, *****es, so take your nose out of the air long enough to say thanks and make eye contact when another person--a living breathing person, not an automaton--sets your food before you or helps you find that stupid Nora Roberts book you couldn't remember the title of!"

...I had too much caffeine today. I'm sorry.
  • hmmm...i have a couple...

i am a smoker (and i always make sure to throw my butts in the garbage or one of the cigarette butt things that are outside some retail places) and i always hate when people feel the need to tell me that smoking is bad for me. i've heard about it, thankyouverymuch.

when people assume that just because i'm overweight, that i know nothing about nutrition and try to give me diet advice. big peeve.

drivers that do not yield to pedestrians.

pedestrians who run across the street two seconds shy of me hitting them.

people who don't pick up after their dogs. no bueno.

when i tell people that i'm from brooklyn and italian (and i have the accent to match), they automatically assume that i have some mob connection, or that i'm like those women on real housewives of new jersey...stereotyping in general annoys me. everyone has their own story.

phew. i think that's it.
  • Being ignored: This is a big one for me. I have self-esteem issues, and they are my issues and mine alone, but it really busts my chops when I am ignored by people I'm supposedly interacting with. I do some HTML-based role play chat rooms quite a bit, and I can walk into a room and be completely ignored by people who are my so-called "friends." I realize that sometimes I do complain a lot, and I am quite hard on myself, and I do try to keep it out of their MSN or out of their private messages in the room, but being ignored just greatlly grates my nerves, especially when I say something to them that is not in any way a "downer." For example, tonight I went into the rooms I frequent and one of the guys in there, who I know and have played with before, had an avatar (a picture on representing their character) on made up of a picture of the Vancouver riot couple (guy and girl kissing on the ground with riot police in the background). I made a comment to him, laughing, saying that "you know that couple's from Australia, eh?" because he, himself is from Australia. He completely ignored me, as though I didn't exist, and kept having other conversations. I know damn well that he saw my post because the room itself was quiet for a good 3 minutes or so after, so he didn't just scroll right past. That angers me so much and puts me into such a depressed, self-loathing mood.

Bad grammar: I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I struggle with including the small words into my posts (the, and, he, she) or using an incorrect small word (a instead of an, if instead of, etc), but it absolutely drives me bat-sh!t crazy when someone posts something that makes so little sense I'm left with a headache trying to decipher what they're trying to say. Text speech and chat lingo fall into this category, too. When I do put ads up on dating sites, I read/delete any e-mails from men that are in any way like "hey u, how u doin. i lke u & wna go out wit u." If you have enough intelligence to operate the computer, then show it to me by adequately typing up a legible e-mail, kthnxbai!

People who stop being your friend for no apparent reason: This kind of ties into my low self-esteem issue. If I make friends with someone, I make friends fast and it hurts all the more when all of a sudden, they stop talking to me. I was friends with this girl at work all summer; we went out to the cafe to get coffee every day, we went out to get dinner together, I drove her home a few times, she came out to see my puppy when my mom brought her for a visit, etc. We'd talk for hours at work, wasting time (bad, I know), about absolutely anything. Then, starting mid-January, she stopped saying anything to me. We didn't have a fight, we didn't have an argument. I asked her 3 days in a row if she wanted to get a coffee or heat up lunch and each day she'd say no, wait for me to come back, then go do it herself. As of right now, she hasn't said a single word to me. No reason why that I can think of. It didn't bother me for a little while; I was able to brush it off and just say "screw you" to myself. But whenever I get into one of my depressed days (like tonight), it does bother me. I've had friends on my role play site do the same thing. We'd talk every day, play together, joke around, etc and then one day they'd pretend I didn't exist. One girl did it just this year; I messaged her a few times during the week and she finally replied with "god, you don't get the hint do you? Go away!" That hurt a lot since, like the girl at work, we'd been chatting a lot and having a lot of fun. We talked about everything, and I tried to keep my neuroses in check. We hadn't had a fight or anything, so the response was very hurtful. Even now, she plays in the same room I play in, and it's very hard for me to see her all the time.

People who tailgate: If I'm doing 130 km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone in the right hand lane, there is absolutely no reason for you to be riding my a$$. Move over to the left and pass me, for crying out loud! I swear, B.C. and especially the lower mainland is the absolute worst for this. One bridge here, which has claimed so many lives that they close down 2 of the lanes from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. is the worst. It's 50 km/hr over the bridge, but even at midnight God help you if you do under 80. If I do 60 over the bridge and someone rides my back end, you can darn well bet that I slow right down to just barely 50. When they pass at the other end of the bridge, blowing their horn and fingering me, I just wave and smile widely.

People who clog up the ER for no reason: I get that many people don't have family doctors (I don't). I also get that what ends up being something very trivial can be very traumatic for someone (I have anxiety and I'm a bit paranoid about my health). But there's absolutely no reason that you should be coming into the ER when you have a case of the sniffles, or stubbed your toe. If you think you might be pregnant, most stores have these neat little things called a "home pregnancy kit." It's the exact same thing the doctor would give you in the ER that you pee on in the privacy of your own home! When you come to the ER for minor issues, you clog the system up for people who are there for real, but maybe not emergent, issues. While some hospitals will triage the most serious cases, sometimes it's hard to tell if your stomach ache is appendicitis or a bad case of bad fast-food and if that little old lady's chest pain is a heart attack or just a muscle spasm.

A sub-issue with this is people who come in to the ER in pain and are miraculously allergic to every known non-narcotic pain medication. How is this even physically possible? It's not (usually) and it's often a drug-seeker.

Another sub-issue with this is lying about the amount of pain you are in. You are not at a 10/10 scale (with 1 being no pain and 10 being excruciating) if you can carry on a lively conversation on your cell phone while eating a bag of chips and asking the nurse to change the channel on the TV in the triage area. A 10/10 is pain so terrible you can barely move and during which the whole world could implode and you'd probably not even notice.

People who preach: Listen, I get that you believe in Jesus/Allah/Mithras/Vishnu/Buddah/flying spaghetti monster/Odin. You're 100% entitled to your beliefs. But on the same token, I am 100% entitled to not believe in them. If you ask me if I believe in whatever it is you believe and I say no (politely), it is not your cue to jump into the 1001 reasons on why I should believe in them. At best, if you feel the need to try to "save" me, it would be polite to offer that if I were ever interested in knowing why you believe, that I could always come to you with questions. That's polite. Anyone who asks me why I don't believe in something will be given the same, respectful, answer. Now, a sub-issue with this is: If you ask me why I don't believe in whatever and I tell you, politely, it is not ok for you to attempt to dispell any of the reasons I gave you. It's one thing to have a lively discussion if you know what you're talking about, and another thing to tell me that my reasonings are "stupid", "invalid", or "faulty." When I tell someone I believe in evolution and science, I am not saying it disproves the existance of God, I am saying it disproves the "magic" through which all religions say things happen (touting them as "miracles" etc.) If you would like to believe that the world was formed by a scarab rolling a piece of camel dung around, that is your right. It is my right to believe that the world was formed over billions of years from one, awesome, blip in time. My evolution science doesn't say God doesn't exist, it just says that things didn't happen the way (insert holy text) said they happen. Mortal men make mortal mistakes, can't fault them for it.

A sub-issue with this is people who believe in something but have absolutely no knowledge as to why they believe in it. When asked, they commonly say "because I do" or "because (insert holy text) tells me." These are more often than not the people who are quick to try to disprove any reason I give for not believing the way they do.

A sub-issue with this is people who believe that in order to be a "good" person, you must believe the way they do. I am a very good person even though I don't believe in the Bible, or the Qur'an, or L. Ron. Hubbard. I am polite, respectful, friendly, charitable, honorable, loyal, and decent. My lack of faith does not mean I am a menace to society.

People who know absolutely nothing about bird-dog/dog training but insist I'm cruel: I have an extremely stubborn chocolate Labrador retriever who is in her "teenage" phase where she knows everything/everything is far more interesting than me. Yes, I use an e-collar (a shock collar). Yes, I have felt the charge it gives and no I didn't die/was burnt/was scarred/was traumatized. No, I don't zap my dog for absolutely anything I feel like. Yes, I use other methods of training before resorting to a negative consequence. No, I do not want to pay $120/hour to be involved in your 20+ dog obedience class where treats are given. My dog's attention on me is lost if she knows there is food. Her concentration is only on the food and not the commands given to her. My dog is also highly distractible and being in a small, confined space with so many potential playmates means she would never concentrate on me. I know what works for my dog and I know what does not work for my dog. I am not cruel. If I were cruel, my dog would not come running when I bring her e-collar out. If I were cruel, she would cower or run in the opposite direction. The same goes for her slip collar. If I were cruel, she would not let me get near her with it, rather than come running joyfully because it means we're going for a walk.

Subissue: People who do not train their dogs: That growl and snap your dog gave is not "his way of telling her to leave him alone", it is aggression. Just because your dog is 4 lbs doesn't give it the OK to be aggressive either. It is not cute when your little 3 lb Yorkie charges me, barking like crazy, and snarling at my ankles. It's not cute when your Rottweiler tries to hump my dog and snarls when she tries to move. Yes, dogs do have alphas and omegas, but in our world you're supposed to be the alpha over all dogs, regardless if they are yours or not. An omega never humps another pack member, as an alpha you should be stopping it. No, my dog does not "need to learn manners"; your dog needs to learn not to act aggressively when my dog is exhibiting social skills of, shock, a dog! This includes snarling and growling while holding their ball or toy, lunging and snapping for my dog's toy or whatever she found interesting in the park (I don't bring toys to the park). You wouldn't let your child smack another child to get their Tonka truck, so it's not ok for your mutt to snap at my dog either. You're supposed to be the leader, start acting like it.

Subissue: If my dog jumps up on you and I give her the "off" command, do not tell me "Oh, it's ok! I like it!" I don't care if you like it. I don't. She's my dog and I choose what behaviors I find acceptable, not you. I have plans for my dog to be a therapy dog, volunteering in long-term care facilities and it isn't healthy to teach her it's ok to jump up on 90-year-old great-grandma. When I give my dog a command, please honor it by repeating it to her, either by pushing her off, turning around, whatever. Encouraging her and telling me it's "ok" is an insult to my leadership and makes me weaker in her eyes and in my own.

Subissue: If I am clearly trying to train my dog, on a quiet path away from the dog park, please don't walk up to my dog to try to pet her. No, she won't hurt you, but I am trying to train her for something and yes, being outside as opposed to in the house is beneficial to that training. Also, don't be the idiot who asks, when I am clearly teaching her something, "doing some training, huh?" No, I'm discussing how we change the tires on the car - what the !#@* does it look like I'm doing?

Subissue: No, my dog will not go deaf from the sound of the whistle I use, either the regular referee style or the "silent." Yes, she does have a name and yes she knows what it is. No, the whistle won't make her "******ed." The whistle helps distinguish MY voice and command from the 10 other people screaming and flailing around for their dogs, and from the noise the dogs are creating whilst in play. The whistle is also beneficial when we go hunting; because, you know, ducks are really weird. They hate when people yell and scream for the dog! Also, if you ask me how I trained her to the whistle I will tell you. I will also tell you how to train your dog for the whistle; don't turn around and say "oh, my dog can't learn that" or "my dog isn't good with training." Any dog can learn just about anything, all it takes is patience and consistency. If you don't even start, then your dog will never learn it. Every dog can be trained to a whistle, you're just too lazy or ignorant to try.

Entitlement issues: Look, I know you had a hard life. You were in foster care, your adoptive parents abused you. That's awful. But that doesn't give you the right to sit at home on welfare, milking the system because you feel "owed." It's even worse if you had a decent upbringing. You're no more special than the rest of us and we all need to work to keep society running. People like you make it harder for people who legitimately need social assistance to get it without being scrutinized or labelled. Just because you don't want to work, doesn't mean you can't. Also, saying that putting out resumes "isn't the way to get hired" shows how truly lazy and ignorant you are. No one should have to pay for you to sit at home and play WoW all day. You are not that awesome. Sorry. Get off your a$$ and find a job.

People who stay at my house and make a mess, and then say it's ok because I'm messy anyway: Yes, I am messy. I always have been. But that doesn't give you the right to make a bigger mess while you're here (mom!). When you take the peanut butter out, put it back! Don't drop your things in the middle of the floor! I know that my house is untidy and the counters can get cluttered, but don't add to it! I do get everything cleaned up when I can. Also, saying that I'm messy isn't a term of endearment, it's insulting. You don't think I know how my house looks? I do. I don't like it, but working 70+ hours a week has it's drawbacks and things are sacrificed until the weekend. Oh, just because you saw a few McDonald's wrappers in my car a few times doesn't mean I frequent that hellhole all the time. Telling me that I do and then arguing with me (mom) saying that all I eat is "junk food" when you don't live with me, really, really annoys me. You don't know what I eat all the time, so please don't speculate. It's hurtful. When I tell you I had a salad for dinner, don't act like it's the first time I've ever eaten one. I eat them often, and I treat myself to the bad stuff occasionally. It's what works for me. You're still overweight, so clearly you haven't found what works for you and/or haven't been motivated enough to stick to it.

And finally, because this is way beyond lengthy:

Stop telling me you can't lose weight: This is even worse if you're shoving a chocolate bar or chugging down an extra large Coke while lamenting over how/why you can't lose weight. When I tell you how to do it, and what has worked for me in the past, don't brush it off and tell me you "can't." Don't drop Slim Fast shakes in the shopping cart, tell me you drink 4 of them at work while eating junk food from the 7-11 you work at, and then get in the car with an extra large helping of french fries, and then get mad at me when I point out that that isn't the way to lose weight. Seriously, you either want to lose the weight or you want to sit around and ***** about it, wishing that it would miraculously melt away. You didn't gain the weight overnight, you worked at it. Just like you're going to have to work at taking it off. No, it isn't fun. No, it isn't easy. But it can be done and no you don't need weight-loss pills or appetite suppressants, you need to change the way you think about food and you need to change the food that you eat. No, I'm sorry mom but you can't eat as many french fries as you want and lose weight. I know how angry that makes you. Griping about how Weight Watchers lets you eat "whatever you want but you can only have like THREE french fries, how stupid!" shows me that you aren't serious about weight loss. There's no need to eat a super sized carton of fries when a small is all you should have at most! Yes, I know quinoa is awesome for you, but it also has 600 calories per cup. No, those aren't "good" calories if you're eating 3 or 4 helpings of quinoa along with chicken and salad and pop and dessert. I don't care how healthy it is for you, it's TOO MUCH!

Now that I look really *****y, I think I'll stop.
  • Quote: Being ignored:Stop telling me you can't lose weight: This is even worse if you're shoving a chocolate bar or chugging down an extra large Coke while lamenting over how/why you can't lose weight. When I tell you how to do it, and what has worked for me in the past, don't brush it off and tell me you "can't." Don't drop Slim Fast shakes in the shopping cart, tell me you drink 4 of them at work while eating junk food from the 7-11 you work at, and then get in the car with an extra large helping of french fries, and then get mad at me when I point out that that isn't the way to lose weight. Seriously, you either want to lose the weight or you want to sit around and ***** about it, wishing that it would miraculously melt away. You didn't gain the weight overnight, you worked at it. Just like you're going to have to work at taking it off. No, it isn't fun. No, it isn't easy. But it can be done and no you don't need weight-loss pills or appetite suppressants, you need to change the way you think about food and you need to change the food that you eat. No, I'm sorry mom but you can't eat as many french fries as you want and lose weight. I know how angry that makes you. Griping about how Weight Watchers lets you eat "whatever you want but you can only have like THREE french fries, how stupid!" shows me that you aren't serious about weight loss. There's no need to eat a super sized carton of fries when a small is all you should have at most! Yes, I know quinoa is awesome for you, but it also has 600 calories per cup. No, those aren't "good" calories if you're eating 3 or 4 helpings of quinoa along with chicken and salad and pop and dessert. I don't care how healthy it is for you, it's TOO MUCH!

Now that I look really *****y, I think I'll stop.
    Yeah, Rainbow, that was lengthy! LOL! I totally agree with what you posted, but nothing as much as the last thing you said.

I have a real problem with this, and it's not very popular to. Being the "skinny" girl, it REALLY isn't popular. I have bite marks in my tongue.

I posted this to add, why is it SO bad to point this out? Because I'm ruining their Biotch-fest?

When someone is having a self pity party, is it THAT bad to point out that they can fix their own problem?

I can see getting annoyed if "skinny" girl was bringing up the topic and harping on others who need to scale down what they eat when the topic was not already brought up, but when you are with someone just to enjoy their company, I have a big problem enjoying them when they moan and groan about their weight while stuffing their face.
  • Quote: People who take credit for what they haven't done.

People that don't give personal space.

Shoes that only come in sizes to 10. It's not fair to have big feet and not be able to get cute shoes!
    First, even cute shoes aren't cute in sizes larger than 6. I know, I have size 9.5's.

Taking credit....Oooo. That's a big one for me as well. Just recently, my bf took credit for an idea I had to raise money where we both work at the Y. Yes, he was there when I came up with the idea, but it was ME, not HE who made the idea happen. When he reported this idea to the supervisor, because he was my bf, and because we literally get NOTHING for raising funds, I let it go.

It ate me up inside for a little while. In fact, I still don't know if I should mention something to him. I think I don't because I'm pretty sure he thinks it was his idea and there's no way to prove it, and in the end, it really doesn't matter.

In the end, though, it doesn't help him at all because I won't forget it, I chalk it up to his character, and in the end, it may be added to the straw that broke the camel's back. Time will tell...
  • I have to agree with the stop telling me you can't lose weight comment!

I hear this day in and day out from my mother and sister. They like to point out how skinny I am and then proceed to tell me that its impossible for them to lose the weight because of genetics, thyroid....etc. I bite my tongue to refrain from unleashing on them. We share many of the same genes! My parents grandparents weren't big people. The weight didn't become part of the "genetics" until the last few generations!!! I grew up in a household where your plate was loaded with mashed potatoes, gravy, meatloaf and of course dessert. We were told we had to clean our plates because some starving child in Ethiopia was going hungry right now. When you teach your children this kind of behavior it becomes a "lifestyle" and serious consequences result over several years. Yes we became fat because we had poor eating habits, not because we were predisposed to being fat. I lost the weight because I rejected this "lifestyle" and started really analyzing what I put into my mouth. They could do this as well......but alas, McDonald's is a lot more convenient for them. Sorry if I have offended anyone but this is just the way things are in my family..it just annoys me that my choices are somehow wrong.
  • Quote: E.) Having to listen to music I dislike. I know 99% of people believe they have superior music taste and I'm just one in a million, but I can't handle listening to bad music. Not even "bad" - mediocre is awful too. I'm borderline Aspergers about this - if music is on, I have to have some say in what's playing or at least agree to listen to it.
    I absolutely agree. I'm one of those people that cannot be indifferent to music-- I either love it or hate it, and most of the time people listen to something I hate.
  • Oh mannnn Rainbowgirl I'm with you on irresponsible dog owners. There are so many vicious, untrained dogs around here, I've had to mentally psych myself up to kick them to death many times. Luckily I've never had to, but jeebus.
  • I know how you feel, krampus. I love dogs, but it makes me nervous to do my walking/running intervals or ride my bicycle by certain people's houses, because their dogs will come tearing around the corner, barking.
  • Quote: People that take their sweet a$$ time crossing in a crosswalk.....texting or gabbing on their cell phones!

I don't mind so much people answering their cell phones sitting next to me at an airport or someplace else...but I HATE-HATE them making a call right next to me....

I find that if I pretend to be the other line and answer the questions they are asking on my own pretend phone...they find me "rude" and leave...leaving me to quietly read my paper.....
    Oops. I sorta did that once. But i was crossing the busses only street at the school. No traffic was moving, the busses were all parked and shut off.

What annoyed the boogers out of me, though, was the bus driver thought it would be funny to jump out screaming goofy to startle me to make his point of the dangers of crossing a street and looking at a cell phone.

What wasn't so funny, is at the time, I had just left my abusive ex. I wasn't sure if I was in danger of him harming me and I was suffering from PTSD. That bus driver's little gag almost had me back in therapy!
  • Pet Peeves of mine:

People who complain about being broke yet they have to get Starbucks every morning... buy cigarettes... get their nails done... etc.

People who complain about things they have control over yet do nothing to change them

Tags sticking out of clothing

Drivers who don't use turn signals

etc.
  • Annoyances:

~ Too many bumper stickers: isn't that a road hazzard in itself?
    ~ Too many excuses for falling off the diet wagon(s)
    ~ Too much "stuff" period / high maintenance individuals (self included!)
    ~ Teenage son's explicit rap song lyrics (they make my brain hurt)
    ~ Potholes
    ~ Little dogs that sound like parakeets
    ~ Dusting (pointless - 1 hr. later it's all dusty again!!)
    ~ Medifast oatmeal (a.k.a. toxic glue)
    ~ The many years I let myself hide behind my fat -- no more!!!

Thanx -- great thread -- feel much lighter now!!

Sidanne

• People who think they are smarter than others that have horrid spelling, grammer or their verbalization skills are horrid. Just because they have one medium of expressional weakness doesn't mean the thoughts aren't valid.

Coffee. lol...I dont get it, its discusting in any flavor. It reminds me of ciggeretts...everyone will try, it usually in high school because their friends did or do drink it and they know its nasty, so try adding a bunch of crap (sugar/ cream/ milk /chocolate/ friggan whipped cream ect) in attempts to make it drinkable. Next thing they know they are addicted and getting a fix daily/ paying a fortune for every cup.

People being soooo uptight that they cant laugh at themself, their short commings, race, color, creed... blah blah blahdee blah. Hang up the hyper sensitive politically correct neo natzi hat and poke fun at yourself and others, laughter burns calories

Dogs that bark allll day. Ya bought the dog, take a few moments every day to spend some time with it and train the friggan thing sheeesh.