General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #1  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

Default One Meal a Day? Seriously?!?!?!?!

Well one of my coworkers is trying to lose some weight and he keeps talking about how he only eats 1 meal a day! Today we ordered out and he ate a very large chicken parmesan sub with fries and a pepsi. THEN, we also had an ice cream sundae social here and he ate a massive bowl completly loaded with strawberry AND chocolate syrup, bananas, nuts, cherries, whipped cream and god knows whatever else!

So i asked him about his habits and told him that i didnt think that was too healthy, especially for his metabolism. He goes on to say that since he's been doing this he's felt stronger, more energetic, and great. I told him that skipping meals just cause overeating and he says that it doesnt matter if he only eats 1 time a day around lunch time!

Now i know im not an expert here but is this logical? Is it safe to eat 1 massive meal and day and still manage to lose weight and be healthy? I, personally, believe that this is garbage and damaging to the body. It's sad because i had a friend in HS who did the same thing. And in my opinion, since the few months he has been working here, i have NOT noticed ANY weight loss whatsoever!
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

There are some people who do intermittent fasting, where they narrow the window in which they eat. Some people enjoy larger meals and the feeling of being full, and to achieve the calorie deficit needed to lose weight, they restrict how often they eat rather than how much they eat at a time. It works for many people, with no ill effects on their metabolism. The eat small frequent meals strategy is just that: a strategy. Total calories are what matter, not when you eat them.

That said, it doesn't sound like this guy is using his eating window to its best advantage. Loading up on so many empty calories, it sounds like he could very well be eating at or above maintenance, even if he is only eating one meal a day. And he's certainly not doing very well on the nutrient front. Bananas and nuts as sundae toppings only get you so far
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #3  

His diet, his business.

Calories in, calories out.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #4  
I think I can...

Doesn't sound healthy because of what he is eating. For the calories he consumed at lunch he could've eaten healthy meals all day long and some snacks.
But he's a grown up.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

There are scientific reasearch studies to back up the idea of intermittent fasting, or "one big meal a day".... it can absolutely help with fatloss, as well as reduce insulin sensitivity, and promote Human Growth hormone-- which results in muscle building as well as more fat loss..... It ABSOLUTELY all comes down to calories in vs calories out. ASSUMING he is still in a caloric deficit for the day, he will achieve fat loss (or should).. however there is definitely something to be said for nutrient timing (not to mention the LACK of nutrients in much of his personal food choices) The "eat smaller more frequent meals a day to keep your metabolism going" is a myth...... your metabolism does not slow down from going 10-16-24 hours without food...it doesnt start eating your muscles for energy...... Metabolic adaptation occurs over a longer period... i.e; being in a caloric deficit for weeks, months, YEARS will destroy your BMR. Many people use intermittent fasting as a maintenance strategy...... they eat normally, or whatever theyd like for 2 days or so, then do one day fasted, then 2 or 3 days eating, then 1 day fasted, etc......
To agree with every poster above though, his food choices could definitely be better
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

It's calories in, calories out.

If that one huge meal in the middle of the day didn't exceed his daily calorie limit, then he could lose weight. If, however, he was eating 9,000 calories in that one sitting...then he might gain. It's not about the number of times you eat, but how much you're eating.

Maybe he's seeing success on the scale and it's not showing, yet. I still wouldn't suggest that type of strategy (due to the TYPES of foods he's using) to -anyone- looking to lose weight and be healthier, but...

In the end, though, he's an adult and even if he weren't "on a diet" his food is his business.

Last edited by Lovely; 06-10-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Clarifying.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #7  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

You guys are right that it is his business. He's 19 and I just dont like to see him binge eat. I always talk about going to the gym and he seems to snarl at that idea! He'll learn i guess!
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

Calories in, calories out works for some/most people. I worked at Micky D's for 3 years during high school (first job) and my manager would only eat one meal a day, usually a medium or large quarter-pounder meal. but she was still losing weight because the burger + fries + drink still only equaled like, what, 1000 calories? Not much for the whole day.
BUT, obviously, WHAT your eating still affects your body, because it goes beyond just calories. You literally are what you eat.
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #9  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I've heard/read a lot about intermittent fasting and it seems to be okay as long as you get in your nutrients. There's one poster here, JohnP, he does it and has been losing weight since then. I'm sure he will show up soon to post on this and give you his experience.

PS- your coworker is going about it wrong in my opinion. I would be starving right afterwards, I'd fill up on fruits, veggies and lean meats/legumes if I had to have 1 meal a day.

Last edited by amandie; 06-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I think everyone should give intermittent fasting a shot. It has been literally life changing for me. I've been doing it for about 18 months and love it. I don't do it for the health benefits although knowing that there might be some (most of the research done on this is in Rodents although there have been a few human studies.)

I intermittently fast because it makes dieting easier. During the fast period I am very clear of mind and energized. During the feeding window I am able to eat larger more satifying meals.

I personally don't like or advocate the one large meal a day plan. This is known as the "Warrior Diet". Other popular plans are Fast Five, Eat Stop Eat, and Leangains. I follow the leangains protocol.

With ANY diet it is important that your body gets all the essential micronutrients whether you eat 1 time a day or 27 times.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #11  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

I met someone who was doing something very similar to that. She went on and on about she eats whatever she wants for that one meal a day - whether it be a whole pizza pie or whatever. She still managed to lose about 50lbs in maybe 4 months by eating like that. More power to her I guess.

For me on the other hand, I had been doing that for YEARS (not intentionally, I was never a huge eater) and as soon as I graduated high school I put on 100lbs in a year that way. Granted that year was spent with me in front of a computer and eating a meal consisting of fried shrimp and french fries dipped in 'fancy sauce' on a nightly basis. Go figure..
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I think if it works for you, and is sustainable, go for it. I know this would not work for me.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #13  

Quote:
. I always talk about going to the gym and he seems to snarl at that idea!
Imagine that!

How well did you take unasked-for input on your eating and exercise habits when you were getting yourself up to nearly 300 pounds?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

Your colleague is an idiot. After his so-called 'diet' is over, he will gain weight and his metabolism will be negatively affected because of his one meal a day.

Last edited by IsabellaOlivia; 06-10-2011 at 06:37 PM.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I don't do what you are describing, but I have been criticized for the way I spread out my calories. Even at my heaviest, I was never a snacker, and I don't snack now. But I have a breakfast of 100-150 and lunch of 300-400 calories and a big dinner of around 800 calories.

People have told me that I can't lose because my big meal is in the evening or that I should do the several small meals a day, but it works for me.

It IS about calories in and calories out, but the meals he is eating doesn't seem to be too healthy - he can get away with this at 19, but I bet he won't be able to in 10 years.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote