General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #16  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I dunno if you watch Star Trek: The Next Generation, but there is an episode in which a painfully shy guy gets very caught up in his "fantasy life" on the Holodeck (you can program anything you want there - horseback riding, exercise programs, fairy tales, etc) and forgets about the real world. He takes it too far.
Are you talking about the episode where Barclay merges with the computer, and he's got complete control of the ship? *adjusts her nerd glasses*

More on fantasies: I still sometimes imagine I'm a Sailorsenshi... transforming into cute outfits and kicking butt.

Sometimes I fantasize what it'd be like to live on Mars with robots.

Other times I just imagine that laundry could do itself. *shrug* I don't think there's anything wrong with any of it.

Healthy and creative.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #17  
Resident Cynic

S/C/G: 210/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I wonder about this often, because I also spend a pretty ridiculous amount of time fantasizing and daydreaming. Most of the time, my fantasies are within the realm of possibility (like having a fit, toned body or traveling to far-away places), but too often they contain a lot of things which are outside of my control (like how other people will react to seeing me). The fantasies themselves typically make me feel great, and often motivate me, and they don't make me hate my reality any more than I normally do, but I do start to feel bad when I over-analyze whether or not it's healthy! I have to indulge somewhere, though. Better fantasy than food, I figure!

Last edited by Scoot; 05-17-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

I think it's healthy to dream and want a good life for yourself. I don't think it's healthy to be envious of others and want their life. OP, sounds like youre dreaming of positive things for yourself.

I do that often. I'm still fairly young and working on my Master's. I'm applying to Law School after graduation and pray that God works out his plan for me. I do understand that money isn't everything, I just want to be comfortable and I have faith that my family, career and life will come together as it should. It's nothing wrong with a little forecasting the future.
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #19  
is chubby

Ever thought of having roleplay games with others?
You might simply be a natural roleplayer and if you share your fantasies/worlds with other players it is a very creative and fun game to play. It has helped some of my friends actually gain real confidense in their lives and experience to roleplay stuff with made-up characters and scenarios.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 135 kg / 123 / 72kg

Height: 5'10

I think visualizing your future is healthy, planning your future is healthy, as long as you don't forget about the present. I have been told in the past that I fantasize about my future too much, and I have to agree, I did.

I visualize myself healthier, I visualize my future once I am done with Uni... I play scenarios in my head and imagine entire conversations... I think once you get to the point where you're creating entire conversations in your head you've gone too far, because you can lose yourself in an unrealistic world. It's healthy to dream about them every now and then, but don't catch yourself up in it too much.
FallingAwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Of course it's healthy. It's completely normal to daydream.

I constantly daydream about all sorts of things.
I agree. I used to fall asleep to happy thoughts and imagining me being witty, funny, tons of friends, ect..I never could imagine me as skinny though.

Now when my DH is stressing over his job and housing situation, we get through by the skin of our teeth, but I will daydream about the perfect job falling into his lap, or taking away his worries. I know its not real, and I am able to face reality with a happy face, so I don't feel like there is any harm in doing this.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #22  
Ready For Prime Time

S/C/G: 179/175/Fit & Strong

Height: 5'7" Age 47

I think it's healthy and natural to daydream. It's a great way to get clear about what you really want.

But I also think we can set ourselves up for depression if we idolize those dreams too much, then fail to act on them. Wishing & dreaming about something we'll never have is just depressing! A beautiful dream is exciting, if we know it's in our future. It's a huge letdown if we think it's unreachable.

If those are things you really want, set some small, consistent goals to move in that direction. Studies show that vivid, emotional daydreams - combined with consistent, steady action - almost guarantees success.

Go for it!
Just Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 202/183/150

Height: 5'8"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCup85 View Post
I'm into the law of attraction- which basically means be positive get positive, be negative get negative. It's great you're thinking of wonderful things- but then you get upset you don't have them so in the end you wont get them because your negative energy pertaining to those things is kind of a blockage.

I'm not saying you have to believe it! I will say, be positive, even with the law of attraction I don't believe everything, but being in a good mood, and being positive and only focusing on what makes me feel good, my life has changed dramatically. You don't realize how negative you are about things, people, life, yourself until you stop to think about it!

Think about what makes you feel good, when you feel good you are aligned with your true self. Pretty simply, if it makes you feel bad don't give it attention.

Just my 2 cents!
My mom brought the law of attraction to me a couple years ago. We both try to follow it as closely as possible.

I say daydreaming is perfectly normal. I do it all the time, thinking about my future, the house I want to have, the money I want to make, etc. I'm hoping that by dreaming about it I will cosmically start pulling it towards myself. I say day dream away!
maita88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #24  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I daydream all the time about the life I want to have...it motivates me to try to make the dreams come true. For instance, I was motivated to lose weight by a years-long dream of becoming a Mountie (Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer, for those not in Canada). That is what got me started on the weight loss journey in the first place, and if I was out jogging, for example, and wanted to quit, I'd picture myself marching across the floor at graduation wearing Red Serge (the uniform the Mounties are famous for) to receive my badge, and that kept me running. I was in the recruitment process, but didn't get in, not due to my weight but because I didn't give enough specific examples during the interview. I lost 100 pounds because of my desire to join the RCMP, so even though I didn't get in, two positive things to come from it were that I lost 100 pounds, and also, I have the satisfaction that I had a dream and went for it, and won't be on my death bed someday wishing I had at least given it a try, because I had. I was deferred for a year, but encouraged to reapply (they don't tell everyone to reapply if they don't think they will be successful, but the recruiter saw something in me) and may someday. Thank goodness the RCMP doesn't have an age limit.

Meanwhile, I am not sitting around just daydreaming about my future...I am back in school, finishing my education and I am halfway through my Bachelor of Social Work degree. I would love to work in human rights for the UN someday, and to do so, I need a minimum of a Master's Degree. I keep this dream in mind when I do my schoolwork now, because for many masters programs, I have to have a pretty good GPA, and it encourages me to work that much harder to meet the qualifications. Many of my classmates struggle and are happy to meet the requirements just to graduate, and that is fine, but I want to get a little further. I made the Director's List this year, and I think having this vision, or dream, of what I want in life is what keeps me striving to achieve them.

Last edited by Ookpik; 07-18-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote